Is anybody here trying to lose weight via keto? I'm finding it hard to go a whole day...

Options
2»

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Zobakka wrote: »
    My sources are my experience that helped me lost nearly 50 lbs in 5 months. I think use Keto with 290 lbs is as use a cannon to kill a fly.
    FIFY
    There are more effective ways, as RuNaRoUnDaFiEld said.
    And FIFY, again! (Your translation is NOT what @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld actually said)

Thanks for the tag.
  • Zobakka
    Zobakka Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    And FIFY, again! (Your translation is NOT what @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld actually said)
    Where did I say there are more effective ways?

All WOE will be as effective as the next if the CICO are the same long term.

I'm sorry, guys. English is not my native language and I have some "lost in translation"... :(

• Zobakka
    Zobakka Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    so you were under 15% bodyfat wth 50lbs to lose? what are your stats?

Text is in Russian, but there are some photo below

https://vk.com/id262078216?w=wall262078216_2251/all

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so you were under 15% bodyfat wth 50lbs to lose? what are your stats?

I don't speak Russian...
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,939 Member
    Options
    Don't know what the text says BUT, your transformation is impressive! Congratulations!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If keto is hard to stick to, then perhaps it's not for you. There's nothing magical about keto, it's just another way to do a calorie deficit. How long have you been at keto?
    I did keto about a month ago for three weeks and lost 20lbs in water weight. I cheated for one day and have struggled to get back on since then!

Have you considered making smaller changes as opposed to one big change. Maybe start with getting calories under control while working in foods you like and maybe focusing on whole foods 90% of the time. Then maybe focusing on macros later? What I have found in my time here, is that people make so many changes as once, that they struggle to stick with things.

Alternatively, maybe start by going lower carb and slowly decreasing carb intake as you go.
  • ClockWorKitten
    ClockWorKitten Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yeah , I been on it for a bit, getting more confused about it (and dieting in general).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found getting started with keto, or even just with cutting back, was the hardest part. Easing into it might be the easiest but you'll need to make the jump at some point.

I do doubt you list 20lbs of water weight. Maybe 10lbs of water but 20? That other 10lbs was probably fat. Congrats.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yeah , I been on it for a bit, getting more confused about it (and dieting in general).

The main thing to be concerned about is calories as that drives weight loss and gain. Outside of that increases to protein is beneficial from a metabolic and energetic standpoint, and carbs and fats can be whatever.

For keto, carbs should be sub 50g and sodium 3000 to 5000mg +.

Ultimately, there is no more important factor than finding a sustainable diet that allows you to addressed energy balance (CICO). Keto and low carb can be beneficial for those with certain medical conditions and those who are satiated by fat. If you are a volume eater and more insulin sensitive, than a lower fat diet tends to prevail.
  • psuLemon
    edited December 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I found getting started with keto, or even just with cutting back, was the hardest part. Easing into it might be the easiest but you'll need to make the jump at some point.

I do doubt you list 20lbs of water weight. Maybe 10lbs of water but 20? That other 10lbs was probably fat. Congrats.

For a guy at almost 300 lbs, more than 10 lbs of water and/or waste is not unheard of. But there is certainly fat loss as well. If he maintains a certain calorie level for an extended period of time, it will be easy to calculate the ratio of fat/water.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't do keto then.
    I eat 1,500 calories of whatever I want and I've been losing weight for about three and half months.
    Play with your fiber and protein and see what makes you the most full. :yum:
  • puzzlingkirsten
    puzzlingkirsten Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What are you finding hard to give up? I'm a carb-oholic and have been pushing towards keto for about 2 weeks. I'm not perfect, but I'm doing my best. I thought it would be so much harder than it has been but I've found decent substitutes or am just ignoring the things I can't find substitutes for.

My biggest issue has been chips. I tried making carrot chips, but they all burned. I scoured the store for some kind of lower carb option and found beet chips, which were okay but they were still more net carbs than I wanted and were too sweet to really take the place of a chip. Last night my husband and I tried pork rinds. Let me tell you, it sounds disgusting but they actually WORK. They are crunchy and don't have an overpowering flavour. I wouldn't eat too many of them plain but dipped in a sour cream or cream cheese dip? Delicious.

To cover my ridiculous sweet tooth, we made chocolate peanut butter fat bombs. I thought fat bombs sounded gross and was sure I would never make them, but here we are. They are like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups without the guilt!

My point is, there are options out there to satisfy your cravings while still being low carb/keto. Add me as a friend if you would like. :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

For a guy at almost 300 lbs, more than 10 lbs of water and/or waste is not unheard of. But there is certainly fat loss as well. If he maintains a certain calorie level for an extended period of time, it will be easy to calculate the ratio of fat/water.

You may be right.
  • carlaharmon74
    carlaharmon74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on keto for 3 months. Its by far the best way I have ever lost weight. Look up the FB group Ketogenic Success. Its a wealth of information.
  • dimaslopes
    dimaslopes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    before i went to keto i did around 2 weeks of paleo diet i think its the easiest "warmup"