Gray Hair

Options
KosmosKitten
KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
I'm just curious when (if you have already) you noticed your hair starting to turn gray. I know it's mostly genetic, but it fascinates me the age ranges I've heard. Some people, particularly men, seem to go gray a lot earlier than I would expect, but some women do, too.

So when did you first notice? Or did someone else notice it before you did?
Did you accept it, cover it or remain in denial about it?
How did your gray come in? All at once or in little patches?
Did anyone treat you differently or comment on it?
Does having gray hair(s) make styling your hair more or less difficult? Is it more fragile or stronger than when you didn't have any?

Replies

• more_skal
    more_skal Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    i started greying in my late teens it was always something i was self conoscious about but my mom told me that grey hairs actually make a man look kind of handsome so i've embraced it since then actually now all my cats are grey furred so we're on big happy family :#:#:#:#
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    more_skal wrote: »
    i started greying in my late teens it was always something i was self conoscious about but my mom told me that grey hairs actually make a man look kind of handsome so i've embraced it since then actually now all my cats are grey furred so we're on big happy family :#:#:#:#

Most men tend to look just fine with gray/silver hairs, in my opinion. I think most women, do.. too, but a lot of us tend to be super self-conscious about it.

Also, aww.. you have gray cats? Are they old or just naturally gray?
  • more_skal
    more_skal Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Most men tend to look just fine with gray/silver hairs, in my opinion. I think most women, do.. too, but a lot of us tend to be super self-conscious about it.

they all vary in age:

jinx is the oldest at 10 he's grey and black
    prance is next at 9 he's a brown grey mix
    bertie is 6, she's an all grey
    nala is 4, a black cat with one tiny streak of grey
    lastly the two twins: twix and twinkie they're both 3 years old and black/white mixes but in some spots the black is pretty faded so they're all grey

my pup is brown, his name is roger and he's a 5 year old
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    My first was at 30 and I was like...wtf is that on my head
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am now solid grey/silver at 49. I colored for so long I have no idea actually when I became 100% grey, but I grew it out 4 years ago. Mine is down the middle of my back, it hates humidity because its so wavy and a little frizzy but really its no different washing/conditioning than before.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    I started noticing a few grey in my early/mid 20s. I started coloring regularly at 27 and have colored ever since. I am 41 now.

I feel too young to be grey. I’m pretty sure I am 75 % grey.... like I said, colored regularly since 27.

When do you stop? 50? 55? 60? UGH!!!!
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    I've had grey hair since I was a teenager. No joke. I have to dye them every 5 to 6 weeks, actually have to do that tonight. Meh.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

they all vary in age:

lastly the two twins: twix and twinkie they're both 3 years old and black/white mixes but in some spots the black is pretty faded so they're all grey

I'm curious if either of mine will go gray when they get older (one is dark gray to begin with), but they're both 10.. so not sure? So far, all that's changed is they got fatter, more cuddly and their whiskers have reversed colors, lol.

P.S. I wish I could have that many cats. :heart:
    csbnga wrote: »

Lol, have you come to terms with it now or do you still have that reaction?
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I am now solid grey/silver at 49. I colored for so long I have no idea actually when I became 100% grey, but I grew it out 4 years ago. Mine is down the middle of my back, it hates humidity because its so wavy and a little frizzy but really its no different washing/conditioning than before.

Did your hair become resistant to dying once the gray started creeping in? That is a concern for me, but only because I absolutely love using unusual colors, but don't really want to waste my money if my hair will no longer hold the dyes.
    becky3695 wrote: »
    I started noticing a few grey in my early/mid 20s. I started coloring regularly at 27 and have colored ever since. I am 41 now.

I feel too young to be grey. I’m pretty sure I am 75 % grey.... like I said, colored regularly since 27.

Yeah, I don't think I'll want to put that much effort into dying my hair once I get past 40.. I also don't want to do what my grandmother did where she tinted her hair blue, pink or purple once it all went silver, lol. Not my thing.
    I've had grey hair since I was a teenager. No joke. I have to dye them every 5 to 6 weeks, actually have to do that tonight. Meh.

So your hair isn't resistant to dying? Did the texture of your hair change at all? Is it harder to style? I have so many questions!
  • EEAngelina
    EEAngelina Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have no gray hair but then my dad is 70 and just getting it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm 49 and have a few pure white hairs, but not really any noticeable number. My grandmother was 81 when she died and her hair, which was similar to mine, had faded to a duller color but was not gray. I have light brown hair.

My dad, who had black hair, went gray in his 60s, and my mom, who is blonde, has faded but not gray hair at 80 (although she dyes it closer to its natural color).

My husband is 49 and red headed. He has two white streaks at the temples like a comic book character, which appeared about ten years ago, and also has two white streaks in his beard.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    EEAngelina wrote: »

Dang, that is some hair longevity right there! I think most are lucky if they have no grays before 40, lol.. but your dad pushed 70 before he got even one?!?!
    h9sthxucv6wx.jpg

they all vary in age:

I'm curious if either of mine will go gray when they get older (one is dark gray to begin with), but they're both 10.. so not sure? So far, all that's changed is they got fatter, more cuddly and their whiskers have reversed colors, lol.

Did your hair become resistant to dying once the gray started creeping in? That is a concern for me, but only because I absolutely love using unusual colors, but don't really want to waste my money if my hair will no longer hold the dyes.

Yeah, I don't think I'll want to put that much effort into dying my hair once I get past 40.. I also don't want to do what my grandmother did where she tinted her hair blue, pink or purple once it all went silver, lol. Not my thing.

So your hair isn't resistant to dying? Did the texture of your hair change at all? Is it harder to style? I have so many questions!

Nahh, hair color is quite advanced now. I have bleached and toned just fine and also used darker colors as well. Coloring took its toll on my hair, so I just decided it was time to embrace what I had. No regrets.

My hair texture is different, its not thick grey wirey old lady hair (for a lack of a better word lol), its still soft and manageable. Always had thin hair but I have a TON of it. I just use deep conditioners and purple shampoo to keep it vibrant and from getting dull. I won't be going back to color ever again, the first year growing it out is horrible. lol

I added a pic..

Looks good! Honestly, your hair looks ash/platinum blond in this photo! I can only hope that my hair will grow back to that length (I usually get bored with it or dye it so much that I end up chopping it off once it gets to my shoulder blades). :D
  • KosmosKitten
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I was 25 or 26. Maybe it was earlier but it was during a period where I stopped colouring my hair. It didn’t bother me but at first there was only one. Then a few then 15 and an in and so forth. Eventually it bothered me. 99% of my head isn’t gray but with all the strands of hair we have there’s still quite a bit. Its mostly around the crown of my head. But not 6-7 years later I don’t care. No one has ever pointed it out. And if they do so what? No ones perfect. I colour my hair now for fun not to conver then up.

But you have no problems styling your hair or getting the dye to adhere to your hair? I'm finding that my hair is more resistant to dying as I get older.. and that's whether it's gray or its regular mouse brown color. I like to dye for fun, but not if I have to put twice as much dye to get it to stay, lol.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

they all vary in age:

Re: cats and graying with age - our black cat died at 19 with no gray. Older Siamese cats do get flecked with gray sometimes, but it's not due to the same reasons people do - it's because Siamese points are related to body temperature and older cats have a harder time maintaining a constant temperature.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

they all vary in age:

Re: cats and graying with age - our black cat died at 19 with no gray. Older Siamese cats do get flecked with gray sometimes, but it's not due to the same reasons people do - it's because Siamese points are related to body temperature and older cats have a harder time maintaining a constant temperature.

I learn something new every day. :) I only hope my cats live that long.
  • EEAngelina
    EEAngelina Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Dang, that is some hair longevity right there! I think most are lucky if they have no grays before 40, lol.. but your dad pushed 70 before he got even one?!?!
    h9sthxucv6wx.jpg

they all vary in age:

Nahh, hair color is quite advanced now. I have bleached and toned just fine and also used darker colors as well. Coloring took its toll on my hair, so I just decided it was time to embrace what I had. No regrets.

My hair texture is different, its not thick grey wirey old lady hair (for a lack of a better word lol), its still soft and manageable. Always had thin hair but I have a TON of it. I just use deep conditioners and purple shampoo to keep it vibrant and from getting dull. I won't be going back to color ever again, the first year growing it out is horrible. lol

I added a pic..

Looks good! Honestly, your hair looks ash/platinum blond in this photo! I can only hope that my hair will grow back to that length (I usually get bored with it or dye it so much that I end up chopping it off once it gets to my shoulder blades). :D

That bad part is it’s thin, my sister’s and mother have hair that has gray but is thick. My dad and I have thinner hair that doesn’t gray. I’d rather have the thick!!

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

h9sthxucv6wx.jpg

they all vary in age:

I added a pic..

Thanks.. I am needing a cut, its been growing with only trimming ends for 4 years. And it does appear lighter/darker in different light. I have had some thoughts of cutting it off and donating it after another year or so of growth. No sure if that is a good idea or not, still pondering it.
  • nocookiestoday
    nocookiestoday Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    My hair started greying around age 19, by 20 I had definite grey patches at both temples.

I started dying it black to cover all the grey, and continued to dye it black until about four months ago.

I leave it uncolored now, and the grey starts at the temples and is approximately 2-3 inches grown out.

In regards to styling, it doesn't feel too much different than before; however, I don't do much with it other than wash, dry, and brush it. It's too long to do anything fancy.

I feel like trash over it, it sucks. Mostly nobody says anything to me, but there's been a few comments.

I stopped dying it. It is what it is. If I feel better about myself after I get my weight down, I'll put up a profile pic.

:heart:
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    My kids got me. During each pregnancy I got a streak of gray, one on either side. I was 27 and 29.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options

they all vary in age:

Oh its fine now, it was just the initial shock. Now the beard had a lot of gray and the head a decent amount. Only thing I don't like is the silvers are stiffer and stick out whichever direction they choose