Does body frame size matter?

Options
OK so I just measured my wrist and put my height into the body frame calculator and it said I had a large frame which made me sad why do i have to have a large frame

Replies

• kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think body frame size doesn't matter as long as you are at your ideal weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    OK so I just measured my wrist and put my height into the body frame calculator and it said I had a large frame which made me sad why do i have to have a large frame

Those calculators are not very accurate, but what's wrong with having a large frame? That has nothing to do with body fat. It's simply how tall and wide your bones are. Many fit and beautiful women have large frames.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'd say frame size can probably tell you where to aim for within the healthy weight range. I'm 5'3". According to BMI (and I mean to sit down with a registered dietician at some point to double-check all of this), my healthy range is 108-140 lbs. I can tell you that I do not have a small frame and that 108 would probably not be doable for me and I'd likely look underweight, even if I technically wasn't. I'd also likely be miserable and have a hard time staying at that level. I'm shooting for 130 at the moment, subject to change if expert advice gives me something different.

Beyond that? Not really a concern.

At this stage, where I've still got another 20 lbs or so to go before I hit the top of my healthy range? Minor concern in the sense of, "Am I sure about where I should be transitioning to maintenance?" but still not really keeping me up nights.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why this would be something to worry about, much less be sad about.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter much. You are not better or worse.
    I have a medium frame size and feel my best about the middle of the healthy weight range for my height.
    You might look pretty different at the top, middle and bottom of the weight range depending on your frame size. With a large frame you might like how you look and feel at the highest healthy weight.
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'd say frame size can probably tell you where to aim for within the healthy weight range. I'm 5'3". According to BMI (and I mean to sit down with a registered dietician at some point to double-check all of this), my healthy range is 108-140 lbs. I can tell you that I do not have a small frame and that 108 would probably not be doable for me and I'd likely look underweight, even if I technically wasn't. I'd also likely be miserable and have a hard time staying at that level. I'm shooting for 130 at the moment, subject to change if expert advice gives me something different.

Beyond that? Not really a concern.

At this stage, where I've still got another 20 lbs or so to go before I hit the top of my healthy range? Minor concern in the sense of, "Am I sure about where I should be transitioning to maintenance?" but still not really keeping me up nights.

Thats what bothered me I was told that I would be underweight if I I weighed less than 130 but then again it's probably true lol Imy not near my goal weight anyways
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Maybe you have a large frame (blame your parents), maybe you just have disproportionately large wrists....

It might matter if you have particularly small door frames in your house or have ambitions to be an elite jockey.

Lol I don't plan on being an elite jockey
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Those calculators are not very accurate, but what's wrong with having a large frame? That has nothing to do with body fat. It's simply how tall and wide your bones are. Many fit and beautiful women have large frames.

But it means my bones make me weigh more

Weight is only one data point and not even the most important one. Body fat and muscle mass are more important in my view. As long and you are the relatively lean, fit, best version of you possible, what difference does the scale number mean?

BTW, I am also someone with large bone structure. Wide shoulders, wide hips, wide knees, etc. At, 5'9" it'll probably mean that I will never look good at a weight that some may be fine with. Like, say, 165. I will be at around 20% BF at 180. At 165, I would look emaciated. Don't make yourself crazy with the scale!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its genetics! and nothing to worry about imo, I'm quite glad I have a large frame,which I feel is a bonus (at 5ft 2 I didn't have to get down to lower than 126lb to be really slim, smaller framed people might have to go much lower, I have friends same height as me, with smaller frames who need to be around 105lbs to look slim) oh and I love having quite big shoulders as I look strong :smiley: