Does body frame size matter?

Options
13»

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I actually have small wrists but I'm definitely not small framed. I have wide hips, a large rib cage, wide shoulders and a big head. I look best at the mid to upper BMI range. I currently weigh 160lbs and like how I look.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Just find a place where you're happy with your body and can maintain comfortably. People have different bodies, and a number is just a number. Strangely, I am consistently told that I (1) look taller than I am, and (2) look lighter than I am. I have no idea how that combo works, but I'm guessing I'll look pretty excellent when I get to the top of normal BMI and I'll be fine with stopping there. More food for me!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I actually have small wrists but I'm definitely not small framed. I have wide hips, a large rib cage, wide shoulders and a big head. I look best at the mid to upper BMI range. I currently weigh 160lbs and like how I look.

If a big melon counts I'm definitely large framed....lol
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

But it means my bones make me weigh more

Not in any way significant enough to really matter. Your skeleton is not pounds and pounds heavier than someone of the same height and weight who those silly tests classify as "medium framed" or "small framed". Plus far better to have healthy, dense, bones than osteopenic ones!

I am "medium framed" at best (i.e., if not falling into their "small" category) according to all the silly ways it is calculated. I still will never look good at the lower end of the weight range for a "healthy" BMI at my height (I look sickly and skeletal at it) or ever wear smaller than a size 10 Misses jeans even when extremely fit and at 21% BF (BTDT).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The wrist test is completely worthless, but frame size DOES matter, because your 'ideal' weight will be higher if your frame is larger (and as such weighs more).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Hello fellow skeletal mutant! I have small wrists, huge shoulders, a big head, enormous knees and elbows, a deep pelvis that's narrow, and small ribs.

I'm still not sure where on the BMI scale I'll look my best. I suspect it's somewhere mid-bottom range.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it matters. I'm 5'2 with a small frame and need to be at the lower end of a healthy BMI to look slim. I look podgy at 110 lbs, whilst others my height would look super slim.
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't put much stock in "frame size" via wrist measurement, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose.
    My wrists, hands, even feet changed significantly from my starting heaviest to lowest weight.

When I look up frame size for my height, the range between small and large is only 1/4'', which is not much.

Thats what I was thinking wouldn't my wrist get smaller as I lose more weight!
  • GlorianasTears
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    I think it can matter. I'm 5'6" and my ideal weight range is 118-155. The lowest I've gotten post kids is 136, and I had people expressing concern that I looked too thin and unhealthy. It was also impossible to maintain. I look and feel better at about 150 and I can maintain it without feeling deprived all the time. If I tried to go down to 118 I would end up in the hospital. Or prison. :p

Lol but I hope that a weight I like is easy for me to maintain cause night don't want to lose the weight and gain it all back again
  • GlorianasTears
    Options
    Lol. Hilariously I'm on the other end. I'm 5'8" with 5.7" wrists so I'm definitely small framed. I've been so focused on just getting to a healthy bmi for my height (160lbs) that when I realized I was small framed and might actually want to aim for 20-30lbs lighter I nearly cried. So for now I'm pretending I never found out and I'm sticking with my original goal and I'll reassess what I actually look like when I get there :wink:

See this is similar to my situation it's like they want to me rethink what my goal weight should be but I'm not gonna change it lol when I finally reached it i will decide if I want to change it or not.
  • GlorianasTears
    Options
    I honestly have no idea of what frame size I have because it's become apparent that I have decent musculature on top of it. No, not down to heavy lifting or anything like that, just genetic peasant stock.

The measurements I get for frame size reference are all over the map anyway.

At this point? My goal weight will be a "I'll know it when I see it". I'm fine enough where I am now from a health stand point, though I'd like to lean out my thighs some more. I have big quad muscles and the tiniest bit of fat on them just exaggerates those suckers. I hate it.

Anyway, all of this rambling was to make a point. I've noticed this difference in musculature in observing the bodies of other women. It's not just mass from bones that adds to our weight, we're all gifted with differing amounts of muscle tissue genetically, it seems.

Don't they have a way where we can weigh our bones and muscles and stuff like that cause maybe I should do that. And if that's you in your photo your body looks awesome!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I honestly have no idea of what frame size I have because it's become apparent that I have decent musculature on top of it. No, not down to heavy lifting or anything like that, just genetic peasant stock.

The measurements I get for frame size reference are all over the map anyway.

At this point? My goal weight will be a "I'll know it when I see it". I'm fine enough where I am now from a health stand point, though I'd like to lean out my thighs some more. I have big quad muscles and the tiniest bit of fat on them just exaggerates those suckers. I hate it.

Anyway, all of this rambling was to make a point. I've noticed this difference in musculature in observing the bodies of other women. It's not just mass from bones that adds to our weight, we're all gifted with differing amounts of muscle tissue genetically, it seems.

Don't they have a way where we can weigh our bones and muscles and stuff like that cause maybe I should do that. And if that's you in your photo your body looks awesome!

A full DEXA scan can tell you how much of your weight is bone, water, fat, and muscle