HELP eating 1200 calories and working out with no weightloss?

Options
13»

Replies

• OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Trying to lose weight without weighing, measuring, and logging EVERYTHING one eats reminds me of complaining about overdraft fees on one's checking account if one never uses a check register to record checks and withdrawals, or only records some of them!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    consumone wrote: »
    Here is another thought for you - are you sure you are eating enough food? I know when I don't eat enough I don't lose. Than get me going on eating less and less and than my body goes in starvation mode until I eat enough. Be honest with yourself and make sure you are eating the proper amount of food and the right foods.

It is a tough struggle I hear you, don't give up, look at others diaries and get food choices that way. Just maybe it will help, but maybe you also need more calories especially on work out days!

I see this posted often on the forums....that a person is not losing weight because they aren't eating enough food. That's just not going to be the reason someone isn't losing weight. Think about it logically. Eating more food is going to cause you to gain weight. The OP in this thread has stated she isn't weighing and logging all of her food, and is only logging protein. Properly accounting for the calories she is eating is the starting point for her.

The problem with this linear type of thing is that the body doesn't maintain a standard TDEE. So often, by eating greater amounts of calories, one will increase the EE through a variety of means: spontaneous increase to NEAT, TEA (burn more calories through exercise), and TEF. In fact, this happened to me by going from 1800 to 2300 calories and I can't show you others who have increased as much as a 1000 calories and still seeing weight loss.

And while I agree that the OP should weigh her foods, she also really shouldn't be aiming for 1200 calories since she is not very over weight and workouts about 5 hours a week. If anything, she would benefit from a higher calorie diet and potentially incorporate refeeds every so often.

giphy.gif

When I was trying to go to maintenance I found this to be true. I thought my maintenance would be very low considering I was losing little to no weight at 2,100 calories...I upped and then I upped again...then upped again and kept losing weight at a faster rate than when I was on 2,100.

I thought my maintenance was going to be more like 2,300...I petered out around 2,800. My workouts became more productive and I just had more energy throughout the day...involuntary movements increased, had a hard time sitting still, etc.

Same, I can maintain on significantly more than expected. And continue to lose quite a bit while trying to find maintenence.
    I was losing about a pound per week on 2000, and then maintaining on 2800.

However, for the OP I would start by actually logging and weighing all the things you eat, as you are most likely not eating what you think you are...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    liftingbro wrote: »
    I suggest never eating exercise calories at all. Simply pick a calorie intake level and eat that everyday.

Estimating calories burned can be wildly inaccurate or difficult to do consistently.

IMO, people who eat exercise calories tend to have more problems losing weight.

Incorrect. If you can be fairly accurate in knowing your burn then you should definitely eat them back. Or, if you don't want to, use a TDEE calculation, not MFP

TDEE is different than just saying I ran for an hour so I should eat 400 more calories.

TDEE minus 10-20% is good. Problem is people on here use the MFP calculator. I know for a fact it's not good to use the MFP calculation and eat the exercise calories as well. According to MFPI can exercise 30 minutes a day and lose 2 lbs a week by eating 3500 calories a day. I know that I would probably gain weight doing that given my TDEE is ~ 3000

This is why most people recommend eating a portion of the exercise calories and then adjusting depending on scale performance since all exercise calorie calculators are estimates... just like TDEE calculators.

You can't really extrapolate your experience to the OP's anyway.

Like I said if she is using a TDEE and calculating each day based on if it's a workout day then that's fine. The problem is using MFP. IMO,it's just a lot easier to eat 1900- everyday than to eat 2250 on a workout day and 1750 on off days for instance.

It depends entirely on preference and lifestyle and exercise consistency whether or not one method is optimal for her or not.

At this point, you're just muddying the waters for her.