Why I left Weight Watchers new "Freestyle" Program

Options

Replies

• Monner
    Monner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Raegold wrote: »
    I just tried to cancel but they are going to charge me a cancellation fee... I’m going to call the # and try to argue that. I signed up for the previous program, not this one. I don’t think I should be penalized

I've cancelled WW several times in the past (always think the next try will be the "magic" one!), including just now because I don't like Freestyle. I've never been charged a cancellation fee. Are you sure about that? They don't give a refund, but no actual cancellation fee. If they insist it's a cancellation fee, I would definitely call and argue that. Again, I've never been charged anything when I've cancelled WW.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Ten eggs????? Yeesh. I typically have three at a sitting. One time, to break a 25-hour fast, I had four. But ten???? Maybe she's going to box up the leftovers for later?

I'm hoping the same. I can't imagine eating 10 in a sitting. But it's the mentality behind it - I can eat all of this because it's "free." In reality, that salad probably had over 1000 cals.

I saw a weight watchers commercial today for this program, and I will admit it was very misleading. They actually even said there were 200 zero point foods, and you don't have to track. I really would love to see the actual program to see if there are any guidelines at all.

However, many of the examples in this thread are not really WWs fault IMO. Who honestly believes you can eat as much of these foods with no consequences. I did WW in 2012, and I knew that zero point fruits didn't mean a free for all. When someone starts a diet, there has to be some common sense. And if you don't have much nutrition knowledge, it is on you to do your own research. I can't blame WW because someone used their program to rationalize binging.

there are a lot of people who think that zero point foods means they can eat what they want and not gain.there are people out there who think there are negative calorie foods(you burn more by consuming them,Theres a lot of gullible people out there who believe everything they see and hear or even read. people think they can out exercise a bad diet or too many calories too. you wouldnt believe some of the things people believe when it comes to weight loss. so WW should be there to educate properly not try to make money off gullible people. but then again the weight loss market has a lot of scams out there that promise a lot of things too and people believe them.

I'm well aware of this. I've been in these forums since 2012 :). I agreed above that WW should provide guidelines. I mentioned that I did not like their commercial at all and found it misleading. But there has to be a level of common sense to it as well. And this isn't just for WW.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Ten eggs????? Yeesh. I typically have three at a sitting. One time, to break a 25-hour fast, I had four. But ten???? Maybe she's going to box up the leftovers for later?

I'm hoping the same. I can't imagine eating 10 in a sitting. But it's the mentality behind it - I can eat all of this because it's "free." In reality, that salad probably had over 1000 cals.

I saw a weight watchers commercial today for this program, and I will admit it was very misleading. They actually even said there were 200 zero point foods, and you don't have to track. I really would love to see the actual program to see if there are any guidelines at all.

However, many of the examples in this thread are not really WWs fault IMO. Who honestly believes you can eat as much of these foods with no consequences. I did WW in 2012, and I knew that zero point fruits didn't mean a free for all. When someone starts a diet, there has to be some common sense. And if you don't have much nutrition knowledge, it is on you to do your own research. I can't blame WW because someone used their program to rationalize binging.

there are a lot of people who think that zero point foods means they can eat what they want and not gain.there are people out there who think there are negative calorie foods(you burn more by consuming them,Theres a lot of gullible people out there who believe everything they see and hear or even read. people think they can out exercise a bad diet or too many calories too. you wouldnt believe some of the things people believe when it comes to weight loss. so WW should be there to educate properly not try to make money off gullible people. but then again the weight loss market has a lot of scams out there that promise a lot of things too and people believe them.

I'm well aware of this. I've been in these forums since 2012 :). I agreed above that WW should provide guidelines. I mentioned that I did not like their commercial at all and found it misleading. But there has to be a level of common sense to it as well. And this isn't just for WW.

I agree with you but many people out there dont have common sense. its sad really. some may be smart in other things but lack a lot of common sense, yeah I have been here since 2014? somewhere in that area. I still cant believe that people out there are so gullible it boggles the mind. some of them you try and educate and they argue and tell you that you're wrong because A,B or C said so.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    gooz71 wrote: »
    merzback wrote: »
    I left it a while ago, I loved it 10 years ago but what are the200 foods they now have added? Also, why not just do the smart points program since you have the info? I didn't like smart points because with the old program I could look at a food and tell the points plus too many points for carbohydrates.

Hi There -

You can't really do any old programs once they change it because everything is done on the WW app now. I guess I could still do it and be a -7 everyday but that would mess with my head seeing the - everyday. WW has changed so much if you haven't been on it in 10 years you would be in for a major change going back. The 200 food list I am sure you can google it "zero point food list" and find an image.

"The list" https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/sites/default/files/freestyle_zero_points_foods.pdf

I just bought a kg of cherries. I assure you, I can eat a kg of cherries in a day no problems (I have to have a little bowl to put the pits in to count later, b/c I will just grab a few every time I wander past). That's 500 calories right there.

so much dumb from weight watchers... =/

Yup. It's almost as if they want people to fail...
    Got it in one!

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    When I was with WW I was on Points Plus, and they had a concurrent program called Simply Filling for those who didn't want to count points. They had a list of food to choose from, a limited number of points per week for off-list foods, and a pretty good explanation of how to use the program. Moderation was stressed, eating to satisfaction not to fullness, being aware of hunger cues, that sort of thing. I would guess their current program has similar guidelines? I think they account for user feed-back when revamping their program, and I would guess a lot of users found that having food guidelines rather than points worked better for them. Plus the advertising implying that you can eat however much you want of those foods and lose weight (I can eat bread!)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    When I was with WW I was on Points Plus, and they had a concurrent program called Simply Filling for those who didn't want to count points. They had a list of food to choose from, a limited number of points per week for off-list foods, and a pretty good explanation of how to use the program. Moderation was stressed, eating to satisfaction not to fullness, being aware of hunger cues, that sort of thing. I would guess their current program has similar guidelines? I think they account for user feed-back when revamping their program, and I would guess a lot of users found that having food guidelines rather than points worked better for them. Plus the advertising implying that you can eat however much you want of those foods and lose weight (I can eat bread!)

I could probably literally eat my weight in fruit.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

This is exactly what I was wondering, but I haven't seen the program. There must be guidelines? Can any current members who have seen the program address this?

I still found the ad misleading.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options

I agree with you but many people out there dont have common sense. its sad really. some may be smart in other things but lack a lot of common sense, yeah I have been here since 2014? somewhere in that area. I still cant believe that people out there are so gullible it boggles the mind. some of them you try and educate and they argue and tell you that you're wrong because A,B or C said so.

Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BjahCczkFM
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Just eat foods you like in moderation, weigh and measure everything, and track the calories.

Nutrition is important, but focus on one thing at a time. These days, I'm working on protein and iron. I let the rest fall where it falls. Does that mean that some days, I'm not getting enough fibre? Possibly, but I might be getting all my potassium and then some. It balances. (Note: I see my doctor every 6 months; he's not at all concerned.)

No foods are off-limits, but over time you'll probably discover that your tastes have changed or that certain high-calorie foods just aren't worth it anymore. Or need to be saved for special occasions. (I try to limit my desserts to 200 calories or fewer, but I'll have a piece of birthday cake at my nephews' parties. That's two birthdays a year and my sister is a great baker. Totally worth it. Twice a year.)

A treat does not need to be a cheat. It's a choice.

This is exactly what happened for me. I started a year and a half ago just staying at my calorie goal any way I could, eating the same foods as always but in smaller quantities. I gradually (and mostly unconsciously) shifted over to more nutrient dense foods and at this point find that spending daily calories on things like cookies and ice cream isn't worth the sacrifice of foods I find more filling. Those are now occasional treats that I enjoy but don't crave every day.
  • LBeekman2017
    LBeekman2017 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    In case I missed the post...I just watched an "unboxing" video on youtube from a new WW ambassador showing all of the new kitchen tools that WW is going to sell with the new program (at the meeting locations and in some retail stores). Also, they have been selling snacks and such at their locations for a while at very high prices.

I'm all for someone losing weight in a healthy way but making 200 things "free" and saying just to eat until you're satisfied is a little misleading.

And of course, "O" with her new line of soups too...
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I recently read a post on WW Connect forum from one of the more "popular kids" that the biggest problem he's having with Freestyle is that it's feeding into his tendency to binge. He's fallen back into the habit of planning binges, this time by either binging on 0 point foods or by eating 0 point foods and then reserving points for the binges. Members are supposed to include a certain amount of points in their day. The protein hoarding I'm seeing above sounds like another example of gaming the system to justify binge eating behavior. I don't think WW thought about the segment of members with this issue when they developed this plan. Rationalizing 10 egg salads, eating whole chickens, unlimited Yonanas? There's a bigger issue at hand.

Was this Kelhett or Mudhustler? Just curious...I used to follow them on connect.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I recently read a post on WW Connect forum from one of the more "popular kids" that the biggest problem he's having with Freestyle is that it's feeding into his tendency to binge. He's fallen back into the habit of planning binges, this time by either binging on 0 point foods or by eating 0 point foods and then reserving points for the binges. Members are supposed to include a certain amount of points in their day. The protein hoarding I'm seeing above sounds like another example of gaming the system to justify binge eating behavior. I don't think WW thought about the segment of members with this issue when they developed this plan. Rationalizing 10 egg salads, eating whole chickens, unlimited Yonanas? There's a bigger issue at hand.

Was this Kelhett or Mudhustler? Just curious...I used to follow them on connect.

Mudhustler
  • gooz71
    gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Mudhustler

That makes me sad