Why I left Weight Watchers new "Freestyle" Program

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Raegold wrote: »
    I just tried to cancel but they are going to charge me a cancellation fee... I’m going to call the # and try to argue that. I signed up for the previous program, not this one. I don’t think I should be penalized

If you have trouble with them, then dispute the charge via the credit card company.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are, that isn't always possible. I worked in a call center for a Canadian credit card company for 13 years and we were not able to dispute "goods and services" issues. Basically, if there was a charge that was
    • never authorized
    • for goods/service that were returned for credit and the customer had proof (credit note, etc) but the credit wasn't on the statement
    • a duplicate billing
    • not recognized
    • Merchant went bankrupt without fulfilling customer's order

Yes, we could dispute. But if it was a case of
    • dissatisfaction with goods or services received
    • attempt to get a credit on a non-refundable purchase or deposit
    • attempt to cancel a service contract by disputing with the credit card company rather than the merchant
    • merchant fraud/bait-and-switch/false advertising

We couldn't get involved. On the latter list, that is not to state that the customer had no legal recourse, only that they had no recourse with us.

I've been out of the industry for six years, now. Laws could have changed. But that's how it was when I was in the field.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are, that isn't always possible. I worked in a call center for a Canadian credit card company for 13 years and we were not able to dispute "goods and services" issues. Basically, if there was a charge that was
    • never authorized
    • for goods/service that were returned for credit and the customer had proof (credit note, etc) but the credit wasn't on the statement
    • a duplicate billing
    • not recognized

• attempt to cancel a service contract by disputing with the credit card company rather than the merchant

We couldn't get involved. On the latter list, that is not to state that the customer had no legal recourse, only that they had no recourse with us.

I've been out of the industry for six years, now. Laws could have changed. But that's how it was when I was in the field.

A case can be made for product not as described under the last item.

Just as if I ordered a RCA and was delivered a Samsung, or Ordered a 4K and received a 1080I.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I left WW after Flex Points and have never looked back.... currently watching my father struggle with losing on WW as he is gorging himself on "Zero Point" items. He's now making huge bowls of "nice cream" using a Yonanna machine, all the people at his meetings went on and on about zero point dessert and now he's stalled. Oh well :-/
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    • never authorized
    • a duplicate billing
    • not recognized

A case can be made for product not as described under the last item.

Just as if I ordered a RCA and was delivered a Samsung, or Ordered a 4K and received a 1080I.

True enough. Unless (and I'm speculating, based on companies having legal departments and CYA clauses), there was something in the agreement about how "In the event that the item is not available, we reserve the right to substitute an alternative product of similar quality/value". Or in the case of WW, "program guidelines may be subject to change without notice." Again, I'm not saying that the customer doesn't have a valid case, only that it couldn't be taken up with the credit card company. Consumer protection agencies might be better options.
  • jetset26
    jetset26 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have tried WW once, years ago, I don’t even remember what plan they were following then. I joined because the docs were offering a 12 week referral to WW, I specifically remember going to the 2nd meeting and the consultant/team leader making a referral to Slimming World and saying how WW teaches you about control, portion sizes, etc and that SW says you can eat unlimited amounts of certain foods (oranges, apples etc) but they don’t teach you that everything has a calorie value. This has stuck with me for however long, but reading all your comments it seems WW May have forgotten it with their new program! I had been going to join WW in the NY but now thinking perhaps I should just use MFP...
  • AliCoop
    AliCoop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Raegold wrote: »
    I just tried to cancel but they are going to charge me a cancellation fee... I’m going to call the # and try to argue that. I signed up for the previous program, not this one. I don’t think I should be penalized

You can still track using Smart Points with the new system. I'm not sure what your daily points limit was under Smart Points, but for me, doing this trick got my to 28 daily points (which is only 2 under the 30 limit I had with Smart Points).

Go to Settings, then go to Food Settings. Under the "Are You Nursing", select "I'm not exclusively nursing" and voila, you get more points! You will need to manually track your weeklies and add back points for the stuff they recently changed to zero points -- you can use the food calculator to manually add those items -- but this trick gets you most of the way there.

I tried Freestyle for 2 weeks and felt boated all the time (I'm vegan and was filling up on beans) and gained weight. I absolutely hated it. I'm much happier back on the program that helped me lose 10 pounds in two months. Good luck!
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    Ten eggs????? Yeesh. I typically have three at a sitting. One time, to break a 25-hour fast, I had four. But ten???? Maybe she's going to box up the leftovers for later?
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I switched from Weight Watchers to MyFitnesspal because I was having a hard time dropping weight using the point system. The "Zero point" food system worked fine for me when I was in my forties, but did not work well as I moved into my 50s and my metabolism slowed. I am finally losing weight again using MyFitnessPal because I am tracking my calories. I love veggies and fruits and it was easy for me to abuse the system by overeating my "free foods" that I did not have to track. No system is the magic answer for everyone. You have to learn to make the system work for your own body and needs. Good luck--don't feel guilty that you left WW.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Ten eggs????? Yeesh. I typically have three at a sitting. One time, to break a 25-hour fast, I had four. But ten???? Maybe she's going to box up the leftovers for later?

I'm hoping the same. I can't imagine eating 10 in a sitting. But it's the mentality behind it - I can eat all of this because it's "free." In reality, that salad probably had over 1000 cals.

I saw a weight watchers commercial today for this program, and I will admit it was very misleading. They actually even said there were 200 zero point foods, and you don't have to track. I really would love to see the actual program to see if there are any guidelines at all.

However, many of the examples in this thread are not really WWs fault IMO. Who honestly believes you can eat as much of these foods with no consequences. I did WW in 2012, and I knew that zero point fruits didn't mean a free for all. When someone starts a diet, there has to be some common sense. And if you don't have much nutrition knowledge, it is on you to do your own research. I can't blame WW because someone used their program to rationalize binging.

Thing is, it's easy to overeat zero point foods even without explicit binging. A cup of chickpeas looks pathetically small, but has nearly 300 calories. Yesterday for breakfast I had 200 grams of chickpeas (which I assure you is not a big amount), 2 eggs, a little bit of buckwheat, a tomato, and a banana. Other than the buckwheat (which was about 50 calories), everything was zero weight watchers points. Total calories for a meal that isn't even that big: 660. That's about half the calories for someone who is smaller and more sedentary than me and I didn't even go overboard. A person with common sense would not consider it anything out of the ordinary until they see the calories. You don't need to go for 5 bananas and 10 eggs for this method to be less viable. That's my issue with this program, at least for me. I need to consciously decide to have nearly 700 calories for breakfast to make it work within my calories. It can't be a spontaneous occurrence that I can be relaxed about just because it's "healthy".

Yeah, I realize not everyone likes beans but I like them a lot. If I ate what seemed (pre- MFP) like a normal and satisfying portion to me, it would be really difficult for me to lose weight. That doesn't include any binges. Add fruit on top of that and I know this program wouldn't work for me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    gooz71 wrote: »
    merzback wrote: »
    I left it a while ago, I loved it 10 years ago but what are the200 foods they now have added? Also, why not just do the smart points program since you have the info? I didn't like smart points because with the old program I could look at a food and tell the points plus too many points for carbohydrates.

Hi There -

You can't really do any old programs once they change it because everything is done on the WW app now. I guess I could still do it and be a -7 everyday but that would mess with my head seeing the - everyday. WW has changed so much if you haven't been on it in 10 years you would be in for a major change going back. The 200 food list I am sure you can google it "zero point food list" and find an image.

Well you probably COULD do it if you had an old points calculator sitting around and just logged manually on a piece of paper. I used to do WW with the FlexPoints "off the grid" back in the day - I joined, stayed with it for several weeks but then just couldn't afford it anymore. I did it a lot on my own using the old slider points calculator.

There is no need to pay for something like WW when you have MFP and similar apps for free - I didn't enjoy the meetings all that much after a while - initially the first several weeks were great with helpful tips and info - but after a while it was the same old same old.

If you would like to friend me go ahead. I have had many starts and stops and keep coming back to MFP.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »

I'm hoping the same. I can't imagine eating 10 in a sitting. But it's the mentality behind it - I can eat all of this because it's "free." In reality, that salad probably had over 1000 cals.

I saw a weight watchers commercial today for this program, and I will admit it was very misleading. They actually even said there were 200 zero point foods, and you don't have to track. I really would love to see the actual program to see if there are any guidelines at all.

However, many of the examples in this thread are not really WWs fault IMO. Who honestly believes you can eat as much of these foods with no consequences. I did WW in 2012, and I knew that zero point fruits didn't mean a free for all. When someone starts a diet, there has to be some common sense. And if you don't have much nutrition knowledge, it is on you to do your own research. I can't blame WW because someone used their program to rationalize binging.

Yeah, see, I think that's part of what Weight Watchers should be providing. That's what you pay for. Or at least it used to be (I was a leader once upon a long time ago).

I don't disagree with this at all. That is why I would like to see the actual program. When I was on WW, I had pretty good leaders who set limits on our zero point foods. Apparently not all leaders did this. But my main point is for those eating very large amounts of zero point foods. There has to be common sense. The same applies on mfp.