Why I left Weight Watchers new "Freestyle" Program

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Wait wait wait. I still think ww is insane for all the new zero point foods but are they still at least doing the thing where you only get to eat 5 zero point foods but then have to count any other zero point foods as points?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Wait wait wait. I still think ww is insane for all the new zero point foods but are they still at least doing the thing where you only get to eat 5 zero point foods but then have to count any other zero point foods as points?

I asked this same type of questions but I haven't gotten an answer. There has to be some kind of guideline, right? But I can't see the program. It wants me to sign up. Nope, not that interested in an answer :).
  • sadiepie10
    sadiepie10 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

No, you can eat as many free foods as you want. They say you don’t even need to weigh or measure them.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    sadiepie10 wrote: »

No, you can eat as many free foods as you want. They say you don’t even need to weigh or measure them.

Just because "they" say you don't have to doesn't mean you don't have to. I would continue to weigh and measure because portion control. :/
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

This was a thing that made sense to me. Yes, they had "zero point" fruit and veg, but you only got 5. I'm sure some people ignored that... but it was supposed to be 5. It was assumed that you would have 5 servings, so your points were lower (or rather your calculated calories were lower). This was on Points Plus. I did so freaking well on that program. Then Smartpoints came out and I completely stopped losing weight and just became ANGRY that I could no longer have a few jellybeans. So I quit.

I haven't had massive success just using MFP alone because I need a little more coaching than that. But what I'm doing now is working, which makes me so furiously happy. Which is counting calories & macros, with a coach (because that's what works for me, YMMV).
  • Live_life_well
    Live_life_well Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Honey5 wrote: »
    @Live_life_well Weight Watchers tested Freestyle on about 150 coaches, members and leaders out of 1.5M+ members. The Freestyle program was not tested on a large sample of people.

I stand corrected. Not sure why you would ever change your entire organizational's program based on a 150 people sample.

Was their decision based on another similar external study? Just have a hard time wrapping my head around why a company would make such a drastic decision without solid factual support.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Fit4sure wrote: »
    Opinions about WW is about as numerous as there are people. You gotta pick the tool that fits you and work it.

I’m a Weight Watcher member of 14 years. Got to goal losing 120 lbs. with WW. Program changed 3-4 times in those years...each program worked if you work it right. The Zero foods are “to satisfaction” so that’s important to remember and a certain amount of them are factored. I had no problem with it and it worked. I really like Freestyle right now BUT am counting calories for another reason at the moment as I’m watching some other things like sodium, calcium, etc...and I like to change the way I track but the group meetings and accountability and the freedom to NOT think overly much about certain foods is nice.

To each their own. I decided as a morbidly obese woman that I needed a tool with meetings and am glad I chose that route as it saved my life...literally.

But I also dig MFP for other reasons.

No matter which tool we choose...as long as we really use it, it will work.

My opinion for what it’s worth. I realize I may be “outnumbered” here but honestly...this 120 lb. loss speaks volumes. Not so much about WW but about when we choose to work a tool...and work it well.

Signed: Weight Watcher fan who digs MFP as well.

Kudos to you on your successful weight loss and maintenance! Yes, 120 pounds lost is more than enough proof that you worked WW!

You are spot on...WW and MFP are tools to be “worked”! I have been using MFP for over 3 years (53 pounds down) and recently joined WW to get things moving after a long stagnation! I felt I needed something different, and I am loving the WW Connect community for the wealth of knowledge, inspiration, and support. I use MFP to track for the same reasons you mentioned because although I do WW simply filling, calories and macros are important to my success and need for control.

Again, congrats to you....keep on keeping on!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    They are advertising the new program on TV here. Their motto is :

Less Tracking, More living