Can you really eat whatever you want?

Replies

• monicapiazza
    monicapiazza Posts: 92 Member
    It really is about how much and not as
    much as what of. I went very low carb for a very long time but ate a lot of calorie dense fat (not saying fat is bad aha) but
    dropped little. I now eat an abundance of carbs and other things within my limit
    and I'm losing... happily :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    beaglady wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

For a recent potluck, I made mac'n'cheese that had 366 calories per serving (9x13" cake dish, cut 10), 19g protein (no meat BTW), 8g fiber, 82% RDA of vitamin A, . . . and I could go on with the nutrition. My non-weight-conscious friends loved it, judged by consumption, not just compliments. If eating that is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

@AnnPT77 would you mind posting your recipe in the Recipe section please. That sounds like something I’d like to make. Thanks!

I don't really use recipes, I just cook. I did put this in recipe builder, which is how I know the nutrients. I've PM-ed you the ingredient list. Hope that's an OK substitute. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Why can't people just drop it already. I'll re-state. If anything means continuously eating unhealthy then you probably shouldn't. My original one line statement was that you can eat anything you want and lose weight as long as you're consuming less than you burn but for health you probably shouldn't. Key word was ANYTHING. Because it's open to interpretation. You probably shouldn't eat just anything you want if it's in excess or incredibly unhealthy.

I didn't really think that statement would be such a huge deal to so many.

If you're eating anything in excess, then it already violates the parameters put forth that a person is within their calories.

Name a food that is incredibly unhealthy?
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    I guess I could have said that it MIGHT not be healthy dependent on your diet but the point rings pretty much the same. Nitpicking over nothing.

Nitpicking over nothing? C'mon. You've been here since 2012. Surely you've seen the daily messages. "OMG, I just ate xxx and now I'll never lose weight." "My family avoids all sodium bicarbonate because it's used to strip paint and I don't want it in my body." (I'm not making that one up. I wonder about that woman sometimes during holiday baking season.) "I only eat chicken, broccoli, and cauliflower but I keep falling off the wagon. HALP!!" It's not nothing to say that a sustainable and healthy diet can include foods that aren't traditionally considered healthy. We all see too many people asking about it every day to consider it nothing.

I've had an account since 2012. I don't look at emails and I've literally never used the message boards or looked at them before two days ago. My friends were all people I know who just use this to log. C'mon.

Before I start posting in a new community I read a couple of weeks worth of posts first. Just to get a feel for the community and the types of things people are likely to say. Otherwise you risk coming across rather tone deaf through lack of knowledge even though your intent was to be helpful.

I'm so sorry I had THE GALL to comment on a thread that I didn't spend hours back tracking through first. Geez. I can't believe the fuss y'all are making about saying "probably shouldn't." [eyeroll]

• Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    I started looking at the message boards as a potential community & support but I swear every one just jumps on every little thing you say that sounds wrong or isn't 100% clear.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why can't people just drop it already. I'll re-state. If anything means continuously eating unhealthy then you probably shouldn't. My original one line statement was that you can eat anything you want and lose weight as long as you're consuming less than you burn but for health you probably shouldn't. Key word was ANYTHING. Because it's open to interpretation. You probably shouldn't eat just anything you want if it's in excess or incredibly unhealthy.

If you're eating anything in excess, then it already violates the parameters put forth that a person is within their calories.

Pretty much anything containing high-fructose corn syrup is the first thing I think of. I really don't need people to keep trying to make me feel stupid though.

Why would hfcs be incredibly unhealthy?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    damdam96 wrote: »
    I started my weight loss journey/life style change in about April. I did really well for the first few months through sticking to 1,200 calories a day, regular walks/jogs and low carbs.

But I fell of the wagon over summer when I went backpacking and struggled to sort myself out when I got back...but I'm now on week 2 back at it!

Is that all you have been eating? That is lower than my basal metabolic rate (bmr), which is the amount of calories I need to eat just to function with no extra activity, etc. You need to work out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and work out how many lbs per week you need to lose. If you use the MFP way, then you need to eat back the exercise calories on top of the 1200, because that is the lowest a woman should be eating to lose or maintain. Even then a slightly active small female would need way more than 1200 to maintain...

You are hungry cos you need more food. Also low carb does not help you lose weight any faster (maybe water weight/glycogen stores, but not actual fat, unless you are really, really lean already, but that is another topic altogether)....

Long story short, you can eat whatever you like so long as you hit your calories and macros for the day. Protein and fat help satiation. For most peeps. Oh and if you try to restrict things you enjoy (cake, chocolate, sweets, crisps, etc) then you are going to crave them and probably binge at some point. Psychology. I have lost almost 30 pounds eating all the things and fitting them into my calorie and macro count.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP as others have said, you can indeed eat any food you enjoy, within the context of a calorie deficit, and be successful losing weight. Low carb does not provide long term weight loss advantage, though some people find a quicker initial loss due to water weight/glycogen - but long term it evens out with any other approach. Some people find low carb to be helpful if it helps them adhere to a calorie deficit because they find the food satiating, but it really is a matter of preference.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
    What rate of loss did you choose?
    What are your stats: height, weight, age?

1200 is the lowest recommended calorie target and it's a NET target meaning that when you exercise, you should be eating more.

Finding an appropriate calorie deficit for your goals may help you not feel so deprived and in addition, may help with preserving lean body mass as you lose weight.

PS I lost >30 lbs and am now a few years into maintenance - we had an appetizer smorgasbord last night for dinner: wings, queso dip, pretzels, etc. No impact on my weight this morning and will not be an issue long term.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    bobtater1 wrote: »
    HFC is thought to enhance the appetite, therefore, it's why it is put in commercially prepared foods.

It's put in commercially prepared foods because it is super cheap and easier to use in that context than sugar because it's liquid. There's no indication that it's more of an appetite enhancer than sucrose.

I rarely eat anything containing it because they tend not to be as tasty IME as higher quality sweets or home made (yes, I'm a food snob but I'm really not obnoxious off-line, just choosy), but I am highly skeptical of the claim that HFCS is meaningfully different from sugar.

And re sucrose, of course excessive consumption of sweet treats does not make for a good diet, but that doesn't mean a piece of chocolate or occasional bowl of ice cream = excessively unhealthy.

From a quick search it seems that your skepticism is well placed.

sucrose: 50% glucose and 50% fructose
    HFCS: 45% glucose and 55% glucose

It's really nothing more that liquid table sugar with a slight shift in the ration of glucose and fructose. It's just created out of a different raw material than sucrose.

I don't really understand why people feel the need to fear monger about something that is treated in exactly the same way as common table sugar (or heck even starches once those have been broken down to disaccharides) in the small intestines.
  • russelljam08
    russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Pretty much anything containing high-fructose corn syrup is the first thing I think of. I really don't need people to keep trying to make me feel stupid though.

HFCS, what "health" blog or Instagram page did you get this info from? Did they have a PhD in Youtube and a doctorate in social media?