Ask me anything! [FROM FAT to FIT]

Options

Replies

• jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to break through a plateau? I get to 150 lbs and just STOP losing weight. It has happened several times and I've mixed up my routine, cut cals, added cals, started running all to no avail. I just don't want to become discouraged and give up when it inevitably happens again. I MUST get to my goal weight of 130 this time. I know that I can do it.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to break through a plateau? I get to 150 lbs and just STOP losing weight. It has happened several times and I've mixed up my routine, cut cals, added cals, started running all to no avail. I just don't want to become discouraged and give up when it inevitably happens again. I MUST get to my goal weight of 130 this time. I know that I can do it.

Well the simple answer is: you drop cals, you come out of a plateau.. I mean there is no magical thing - the only thing I can suggest is a full "diet break" but it sounds like you've attempted something like that...

Incase you havent: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

Other than that it is all about lowering calories and being patient, and weight needs to stall for a good 3-4 weeks before you can decide if its a plateau or not

ritch
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi :) So I've been having major problems trying to lose weight. I've been seeing a nutritionist monthly and it hasn't helped thus far. I've been sticking to around 30-40 carbs a day and about 1300 calories and I try to workout most days of the week. I have yet to lose any weight and it's been over 5 months. I NEED to lose 20 pounds in order to have a gastric bypass. Do you have ideas that might jump start weight loss?

Hi, firstly there is no magical formula for weight loss, it is simply calories in vs calories out.

You haven't mentioned what weight you are, but I can tell you one thing, you are not consuming 1300 calories if your weight has not gone lower in 5 months. Check that you are counting correctly/weighing your foods correctly.

ritch

I have PCOS and possibly another underlying hormone disorder...I'm going in for more tests next month. I have to work 10x as hard as a regular person to see 1/2 of their results. I've been doing yoga, biking, and elliptical. My current weight is 248. I use my lunch hour to work out and run a fitness group at my internship.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lots of information packed into this forum!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Hi :) So I've been having major problems trying to lose weight. I've been seeing a nutritionist monthly and it hasn't helped thus far. I've been sticking to around 30-40 carbs a day and about 1300 calories and I try to workout most days of the week. I have yet to lose any weight and it's been over 5 months. I NEED to lose 20 pounds in order to have a gastric bypass. Do you have ideas that might jump start weight loss?

Hi, firstly there is no magical formula for weight loss, it is simply calories in vs calories out.

You haven't mentioned what weight you are, but I can tell you one thing, you are not consuming 1300 calories if your weight has not gone lower in 5 months. Check that you are counting correctly/weighing your foods correctly.

ritch

I have PCOS and possibly another underlying hormone disorder...I'm going in for more tests next month. I have to work 10x as hard as a regular person to see 1/2 of their results. I've been doing yoga, biking, and elliptical. My current weight is 248. I use my lunch hour to work out and run a fitness group at my internship.

I still don't see how you can't be losing weight no matter the condition, but this reeally isn't something for me, i'm not "medical". Although PCOS has something to do with insulin resistance.. carb intake..could be effecting it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Yo Ritchie, do you have any performance goals you're pursuing, or pure aesthetics?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Yo Ritchie, do you have any performance goals you're pursuing, or pure aesthetics?

Currently going on a slow bulk, for how long not sure, but definitely until September then I will re-*kitten*. It is just passion, eventually I want to just look really big whilst attempting to maintain a very aesthetic and lean physique :) ~ I also enjoy constantly trying to progress my strength.

ritch
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump for all the good advice. Also liked you on FB :)
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Bump for all the good advice. Also liked you on FB :)

Appreciate that!!
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump, very informative!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Bump! got a few hours spare to answer a few Q's

Chance's are I won't be able to help for much longer, it seems a certain person has a vendetta against me and is reporting my posts. Although.. not quite sure someone would do that after I've spent a good 20+ hours giving free advice to people.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Bump! got a few hours spare to answer a few Q's

Chance's are I won't be able to help for much longer, it seems a certain person has a vendetta against me and is reporting my posts. Although.. not quite sure someone would do that after I've spent a good 20+ hours giving free advice to people.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to lower body fat from 27% to 20%? I am particularly trying to lose a few inches from my belly.

How many training days, how long should I do per week? Should I include HIIT based workouts for faster results or just stick with weight training?

What is the ideal macro ratio for this? 40 -40 -20C?

How long will it take? Did you find the last 10-15 lbs hardest?

Thanks a lot in advance?

The simple answer: A calorie deficit will reduce your body fat.

I train for 3 days a week for 45 minutes, strength training lifting weights as heavy as I can. Cardio is definitely not needed, I went from 20%+ bodyfat down to around 9-10% with zero cardio, and I could choose to go lower, cardio has no effect.

There is no ideal ratio for p/c/f - just meet minimum requirements ~ 0.82g per bodyweight (lbs) protein, 0.4 or 0.45g fat per bodyweight (lbs) and rest can go to more protein and fat or all carbs, your choice as long as you make up the calories somewhere.

I found it easier, strangely as I got lower, but I got more motivated because you can see more things happening to your body when you are lower BF.

Hope this helps

ritch

Thanks Ritch. Its motivating to find that all you need is 3 days of 45 mins to get awesome results...
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    What is the best way to lower body fat from 27% to 20%? I am particularly trying to lose a few inches from my belly.

How many training days, how long should I do per week? Should I include HIIT based workouts for faster results or just stick with weight training?

What is the ideal macro ratio for this? 40 -40 -20C?

How long will it take? Did you find the last 10-15 lbs hardest?

Thanks a lot in advance?

The simple answer: A calorie deficit will reduce your body fat.

I train for 3 days a week for 45 minutes, strength training lifting weights as heavy as I can. Cardio is definitely not needed, I went from 20%+ bodyfat down to around 9-10% with zero cardio, and I could choose to go lower, cardio has no effect.

There is no ideal ratio for p/c/f - just meet minimum requirements ~ 0.82g per bodyweight (lbs) protein, 0.4 or 0.45g fat per bodyweight (lbs) and rest can go to more protein and fat or all carbs, your choice as long as you make up the calories somewhere.

I found it easier, strangely as I got lower, but I got more motivated because you can see more things happening to your body when you are lower BF.

Hope this helps

ritch

Thanks Ritch. Its motivating to find that all you need is 3 days of 45 mins to get awesome results...

I agree. I used to train 4-5 days a week when I was over weight, I got burnt out fast and lost motivation, obviously I saw results, like anyone would - but it comes down to, 3 days a week for 45 minutes is more sustainable and usually makes people WANT to do it more. It also means a lot of recovery time, time to enjoy yourself and those 3 days you give it everything you have and lift as heavy as you can!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Last bump before I go to the gym
  • littlelawson83
    Options
    This is a great thread, thanks, just thinking of a question! Posting to bookmark it for later :)
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You are so nice!!! I have gone through most of the pages of posts.

1- I am about 15 pounds overweight (took a year to lose 8 pounds), B U T I just a fatty overweight versus muscular.... I hate how I look on from the waist down. I am 51 and just plain out of shape. A happy 51-yr old with a great family, good times, but.... I do hate getting dressed up to go out with friends.

I keep reading muscle burns more than fat. I have way too much fat.

What exercises could I do at home that will help build more muscle, more of a leaner look (I can never look lean...) and just feel better about myself WITHOUT hurting my knee, my back etc.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    You are so nice!!! I have gone through most of the pages of posts.

1- I am about 15 pounds overweight (took a year to lose 8 pounds), B U T I just a fatty overweight versus muscular.... I hate how I look on from the waist down. I am 51 and just plain out of shape. A happy 51-yr old with a great family, good times, but.... I do hate getting dressed up to go out with friends.

I keep reading muscle burns more than fat. I have way too much fat.

What exercises could I do at home that will help build more muscle, more of a leaner look (I can never look lean...) and just feel better about myself WITHOUT hurting my knee, my back etc.

If you have no way to get to a gym, or weights to use at home..

Pick up heavy things, do body weight exercises, like squats (they are really good for your lower body). Start working on doing push-ups on your knees, work towards being able to do a proper push-up.

Challenge yourself, keep trying to lift up heavier things whilst you do a squat.

YouTube + Google can be your friend for finding body weight exercises.

I hope this helps, if you need anything else just ask - remember though, a calorie deficit will be what makes you lose weight, doing weight training/body weight exercises changes your body composition

Good luck!

ritch
  • randyncandinicholson
    Options
    well give me tips on how to lose belly fat and love handles... diet suggestions.. I need help! This is day three for me trying to eat healthy and doing the x-factor 8 week workout program. I feel sore in my arms and legs but not stomach.. I am a mother of four and youngest is 6mths old! I want to get my body back!!! I have about 30lbs I want to lose... HELP!! :)
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    well give me tips on how to lose belly fat and love handles... diet suggestions.. I need help! This is day three for me trying to eat healthy and doing the x-factor 8 week workout program. I feel sore in my arms and legs but not stomach.. I am a mother of four and youngest is 6mths old! I want to get my body back!!! I have about 30lbs I want to lose... HELP!! :)

The only way to lose belly fat and love handles is to lose fat in general - there is no secret. You can't spot reduce fat (choose where you lose it from) - Patience is key here.

1) Make sure you track your calorie intake correctly, and record everything.
    2) I suggest starting to lift weights with a strength program information here: http://rippedbody.jp/2011/09/22/training-the-guide/
    3) Patience ~ Aim for 1-2 lbs a week loss, weight fluctuations DO happen don't be alarmed if your weight goes up some days due to water weight, only worry if this consistenly happens for 3-4 weeks. Also, stalls MAY happen, once again allow 3-4 weeks.

Hope this helps

ritch