Keto Diet Question

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    Currently doing Keto, primarily for weight loss, but also enjoying the other benefits (feeling of well being, mental clarity, satisfaction). Regarding weight loss, it is true that you still have to run a calorie deficit to lose weight regardless of your particular diet. So it got me thinking (mental clarity???) if you still have to run a deficit, what exactly is the benefit of Keto? In my mind, if your protein intake is adequate, you would still be burning fat either way, Keto or not. Would love to hear thoughts from others, Ketoers and non-Ketoers.

So most those benefits are the same proposed for every diet out there. Its kind of like the soup de jour. If people go from a horrible diet or even just begin a new diet they will believe those things will occur. And its possible some will occur if they start getting more nutrient dense foods or addressing medical issues that they have (i.e., IR, Diabetes, etc...).

All diets work off of CICO, but some diets allow individuals to increase tbe CO side or control the CI more easily. I respond to carbs much better. Fata dont satiate me. They dont give me energy and generally more grumpy from lack of food volume.

At worst, you try this diet out for a month and go from there.
  • delgrand
    delgrand Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    so you don't use your internal body fat stores for energy and thus faster weight loss while being on Keto ? I always read this information on keto blogs and sites but I was not sure if it is correct or not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    For the elite endurance athletes, during long exercise you will burn more fat than those who use carbs as their primary energy source. That is where more fat burning occurs. (Volek's FASTER study)

What they may gain in theoretical endurance they lose in performance - you have to work harder for the same power output due to the inherent inefficiency in processing fat for fuel as compared to glucose.
    It may be useful if completing a long event (where only water is available as that's the primary limiting factor) but anyone with performance aspirations will be better fuelled primarily on carbs.
    Which is why 99% of elite endurance athletes are carb monsters.

I didn't say there was a theoretical gain in endurance. I said that the elite endurance runners burned more fat. They used more fat for fuel than the elite endurance runners who rely on carbs as their primary fuel. Basically, the only real proven fat burning advantage is for endurance athletes.

And no, I have never read anywhere that fat adapted athletes have to work harder for the same power output as a glucose reliant athlete. I think that is wrong. Most fat adapted athletes (meaning keto for a few months) seem to report greater available energy for athletic events, mainly those requiring some endurance (not short bursts like power lifting). Where did you see this? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Substrate utilization does not affect net fat loss or gain.

I know. I did not say it did.

Where's that "proven fat burning advantage" then?

Keto adapted endurance athletes will burn more fat during endurance exercise that a (as someone name Matt was quoted above) 'nasty ol’ “sugar burner”' would during a long endurance event. If they pause to eat something partway through, there would be not real benefit, but if not the fat burner does not need to worry about hitting the wall like the other athletes might.

ETA because my computer crashed in the middle of responding

Again showing your lack of knowledge of endurance events.
    It's getting more than a little silly in your desperation to create an advantage for keto where none exists. Your keto myopia is blinding you to any evidence which refutes your beliefs and you are grasping at straws in an arena you clearly know nothing about.

Most typical event, the marathon, there's no need to stop at all - you have seen a marathon on the telly haven't you?
    Longer events you fuel as you go. Example a 24hr cycle event I supported a guy who did 441 miles. He stopped every couple of hours to change water bottles which contained carbs and water. He had to stop just like your mythical elite keto athlete to avoid dehydration not to eat. If moving bottle transfers were permitted he would only have stopped for toilet breaks - just like everyone else would.
    For a non-elite endurance rider like myself I'm consuming 90g of carbs an hour as I ride. At my all day pace I'm using an approximate 50/50 ratio of carbs to fat (tested by RER) and the 240 cals of carbs an hour means I'm in no danger of bonking/hitting the wall (glycogen depletion).

If keto was a performance advantage all elite endurance athletes would be doing it - but they aren't. Doesn't that simple fact even make you doubt your beliefs?

This is exactly right. In that you have to consume water during endurance events, it's no added difficulty to fuel some. Also, we seem to be talking about ultra marathons and more only (which are at less intensity -- a 100 mile run is incredibly difficult, I can't imagine doing it, but the winners are not running at the same intensity as marathoners).

The idea that no matter the intensity, if you are just fat adapted you don't have to fuel isn't true, from anything I've read, not if you want to retain the capacity for intense activity. Also, it's possible to get fat adapted without being keto (training to be more fat adapted is popular now).

That said, if keto was helpful at, say, the marathon level, you'd see world class marathoners training that way, and you don't. (For ultra, ultra, people eat a huge variety of ways and fueling during a race often means chowing down lots of kinds of foods.)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't even know how we came to be having a discussion about elite endurance athletes in relation to an OP asking if calories behave the same way in any way of eating. And the answer to that is yes. Everything else noise and preference.