Keto Diet Question

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes, theoretically you still need a deficit.

Having said that, I started low carb in order to improve blood glucose management (I have type 1 diabetes), and found significantly faster weight loss despite the same calorie deficit. It was nearly 5 times faster over the course of the first year eating low carb. I don't know why, but that is what happened. I meticulously tracked every bite and every step before and after switching; used the same food scale and the same personal scale; so I can say with certainty that my deficit did not increase 5-fold during that time and yet results would indicate it did.

So, putting this into some theoretical numbers. Aiming for 1lb per week loss loss = 500 calories per day deficit. To hit 5x that you would need to have a daily deficit of 2500 calories. And keto was the magic that facilitated that? Someone needs to study you because there's has been no study that has found any significant metabolic advantage and certainly not one that huge. Surely you'd have dropped dead from starvation by now?

You might think so if you use the numbers you just presented, but those are your numbers and not what I said. What I said was that weight loss was nearly 5 times faster after switching to low carb. Here is some more detail: the BEFORE low carb diet with a 500 calorie per day deficit yielded less than 1/4 lb. loss per week. Low carb significantly increased losses compared to before low carb; and it also finally allowed for results to match what one would expect if using the 3,500 calories = 1 lb. loss equation.

That's still significant. 0.25lb = 125 calories per day, so you are saying keto created an additional 375 calories per day deficit from somewhere.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85: Yeah, keto can be very effective, no question, and I have no doubt of your results. But, it's not magic (except for the diuretic part, which is pretty dramatic). Somewhere in there, the CICO argument applies. But, who cares if it worked?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85: Yeah, keto can be very effective, no question, and I have no doubt of your results. But, it's not magic (except for the diuretic part, which is pretty dramatic). Somewhere in there, the CICO argument applies. But, who cares if it worked?

I'm not suggesting that the same results will work for others. I'm just sharing my observations after years of calorie tracking vs. years of low carb.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    For the elite endurance athletes, during long exercise you will burn more fat than those who use carbs as their primary energy source. That is where more fat burning occurs. (Volek's FASTER study)

What they may gain in theoretical endurance they lose in performance - you have to work harder for the same power output due to the inherent inefficiency in processing fat for fuel as compared to glucose.
    It may be useful if completing a long event (where only water is available as that's the primary limiting factor) but anyone with performance aspirations will be better fuelled primarily on carbs.
    Which is why 99% of elite endurance athletes are carb monsters.

I didn't say there was a theoretical gain in endurance. I said that the elite endurance runners burned more fat. They used more fat for fuel than the elite endurance runners who rely on carbs as their primary fuel. Basically, the only real proven fat burning advantage is for endurance athletes.

And no, I have never read anywhere that fat adapted athletes have to work harder for the same power output as a glucose reliant athlete. I think that is wrong. Most fat adapted athletes (meaning keto for a few months) seem to report greater available energy for athletic events, mainly those requiring some endurance (not short bursts like power lifting). Where did you see this? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Substrate utilization does not affect net fat loss or gain.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    20 thousand? Holy poop.. even if you picked the most dense macro (fat) at 9 calories per gram.. you would still have to consume 2,200+ grams of just pure fat to achieve a calorie surplus that big..
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Having said that, I started low carb in order to improve blood glucose management (I have type 1 diabetes), and found significantly faster weight loss despite the same calorie deficit. It was nearly 5 times faster over the course of the first year eating low carb. I don't know why, but that is what happened. I meticulously tracked every bite and every step before and after switching; used the same food scale and the same personal scale; so I can say with certainty that my deficit did not increase 5-fold during that time and yet results would indicate it did.

So, putting this into some theoretical numbers. Aiming for 1lb per week loss loss = 500 calories per day deficit. To hit 5x that you would need to have a daily deficit of 2500 calories. And keto was the magic that facilitated that? Someone needs to study you because there's has been no study that has found any significant metabolic advantage and certainly not one that huge. Surely you'd have dropped dead from starvation by now?

You might think so if you use the numbers you just presented, but those are your numbers and not what I said. What I said was that weight loss was nearly 5 times faster after switching to low carb. Here is some more detail: the BEFORE low carb diet with a 500 calorie per day deficit yielded less than 1/4 lb. loss per week. Low carb significantly increased losses compared to before low carb; and it also finally allowed for results to match what one would expect if using the 3,500 calories = 1 lb. loss equation.

Was that before, during or after your occasional 20000 calorie binges?

Yes. I did those a few times per year before and after... and still do them a few times per year.

Could you please summarize the food you consumed in a day to hit that calorie goal?

Cause I have binge eating disorder and I have eaten myself to exploding and still continued to eat and usually hovered around 6000.. maybe..
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Yes. I did those a few times per year before and after... and still do them a few times per year.

Could you please summarize the food you consumed in a day to hit that calorie goal?

Cause I have binge eating disorder and I have eaten myself to exploding and still continued to eat and usually hovered around 6000.. maybe..

Yes, lots of "unique" counts there.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For the elite endurance athletes, during long exercise you will burn more fat than those who use carbs as their primary energy source. That is where more fat burning occurs. (Volek's FASTER study)

What they may gain in theoretical endurance they lose in performance - you have to work harder for the same power output due to the inherent inefficiency in processing fat for fuel as compared to glucose.
    It may be useful if completing a long event (where only water is available as that's the primary limiting factor) but anyone with performance aspirations will be better fuelled primarily on carbs.

I didn't say there was a theoretical gain in endurance. I said that the elite endurance runners burned more fat. They used more fat for fuel than the elite endurance runners who rely on carbs as their primary fuel. Basically, the only real proven fat burning advantage is for endurance athletes.

And no, I have never read anywhere that fat adapted athletes have to work harder for the same power output as a glucose reliant athlete. I think that is wrong. Most fat adapted athletes (meaning keto for a few months) seem to report greater available energy for athletic events, mainly those requiring some endurance (not short bursts like power lifting). Where did you see this? Do you have a link? Thanks.

I know. I did not say it did.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I know. I did not say it did.

Where's that "proven fat burning advantage" then?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I'll answer your question and then suggest we get back to the main topic of the thread.

The answer is: Donuts, pizzas, cakes, spaghetti, cookies, brownies, ice cream... maybe some muffins or pancakes. The key is quantity. There were times early on that I tried to cook it all myself and I basically would be maxing out my capacity both in time and oven/stove space. It's a lot faster to eat 2 cakes than it takes to bake and frost 2 cakes. But then when do I have time to eat? So what I would do is cook a lb. or 2 of spaghetti on a burner while cooking sausage and sauce on another burner, meanwhile mixing the cake (and if I'm eating at all during that time, it is just munching on donuts quickly in between). Eventually, spaghetti would be ready and I would start eating that just as I put the cakes in the oven. The cakes would finish around the time I was done eating spaghetti, so they would come out to cool before frosting (frosting a still hot cake is difficult). Meanwhile, I'm not eating... so would have to crack open a box of cookies. So even on those days I cooked, I would often buy a dozen or 2 donuts and cookies, and often order pizza. So I started having to go to buffets and such.

When I switched to low carb, some cheat days included carbs and were special cheat days on those occasions (basically, for my birthday). But on other cheat days where I didn't eat carbs, I would often make chili. It included browning some hamburger and some sausage (a few lbs. of each) while cooking a few lbs. of bacon in the oven in a baking pan - that way the grease and all can go right into the chili, as did the grease from browned hamburger and sausage. Of course, I would add chili powder and some other spices. Usually there were no tomatoes in it, and never beans (too many carbs). I have a stock pot, so the end result could potentially be as much as 15 - 20 lbs. of what basically ends up as a meat salad that I called chili.

You say you don't understand it, but consider from my perspective... I can't understand how it is possible to only eat 6K calories in a day and have surpassed the feeling of exploding. It just doesn't make any sense to me how one could possibly be satisfied on so little. Unfortunately, I can't eat without consequences. So I have opted for better health and to have a healthy body fat level over feeling satisfied with food and being very heavy.

And you didn't compete in food competitions, why?