WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jill, I remembered it at supper. My husband gets quite amused at my MS. I suddenly said, It's an eliptical!' he just looks at me like I'm crazy.
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Rita-Hartford is 20 minutes North of me, what part of the state are you looking to live in?im sorry your not able to work out-I too am suffering with plantar faciitis(sp) and a heel spur,Im still plugging along though,
    keep us filled in though.

Rita and Grandmalle - I am about 50 or so miles north of Hartford - seems like we are nearly neighbors! We are about 20 miles south of Brattleboro VT. Grandmalle - we have a blueberry crisp coming out of the oven right now!

Just back from the White Mountains Boogie and Blues festival in central New Hampshire. We went with younger brother and his family, plus some cousins we haven't seen in a long time. Camped out at one of the White Mtn National Forest cam areas - pretty nice! The festival is in a natural amphitheater, all outdoors. The hill making up the amphitheater is quite steep, so walking up and down it certainly gave my calves and but muscles a work out! Just as well, since the Y here is closed for a week - they do this twice a year to deep clean the entire place. Well, I can do my planking and free weights at home anyways.

Hope everyone is enjoying good weather - it's lovely here, especially for August.

Jill in western Mass
  • rjscott
    rjscott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    DeeDee–glad to see some of the fairyland; how beautiful!!
    Michele–I’m a planner, too; your preparations for the social sound like me planning for the family reunion earlier this summer; thanks for the birthday wishes (it’s been a good day)
    Katla–your trip sounds wonderful; the insulin reaction sounds a bit scary, though
    Liz–you are dealing with a lot of stress; take care of yourself; sorry to hear about the car problems
    Tracy–Welcome!!
    Jane–thanks for the birthday wishes; hope you had a wonderful day
    Heather–glad you’re feeling better so you can enjoy your DGS’s visit
    Barbie–great picture!
    Kate–hope you have a wonderful time; would love to visit that part of Canada some time soon
    Ran in the rain this morning, but knew if I didn't go out first thing I’d never get any exercise. Had my birthday supper at Red Robin with my parents and DS#2 and his girlfriend. The sun finally came out this afternoon, which always makes the day go better. Now that the birthday celebrations are over, I need to get back to logging my food. Good night, everyone!
    Rhonda in SE TN
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    marking my place and adding my concurrence -- great picture, Barbie!
    Gail, metro ATL
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. I can’t believe not being here for one day….there are 4 pages to read. I did lose 0.7 pounds today (+the 0.,4 I had gained last week so a total of 1.1 pounds). Crazy day. I’m a little frazzled by trying to figure out how to manage everything now that I am back to work. The alarm did not go off this morning so I missed water aerobics  Just a quick couple of notes as I am heading to bed.

DH is covered from head to toes with chiggers….and yes I mean head to toes and everything in between. UGH. He got some cream from the pharmacy Chigger-eze or something like that. It really works, but can only be used 3 times a day.

Barbie: thanks for the info on Phyllis. Let her know she is missed! What a great picture! Thanks for sharing! Your smile is radiant!

Heather: get well soon!

DeeDee: cool picture!

Katla: so glad you had a great time on the boat! So glad DH is better now! That sounds scary!

Helen: glad you are home safe and sound and I hope you really enjoyed your visit.

Lucy: glad you are back too!

Welcome newbies! Come back often and let us know about you and how you are doing.

I hope those of you who are struggling right now find your way!

Take care all. Meg from hot-again Omaha, where I think DH will be sleeping with the dog if he doesn’t stop scratching!!!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Barbie, I love the picture!

I had a day off today, and spent a good part of it with my daughter, organizing the "terrorist toddler's" clothes. She gets a lot of hand me downs from her girlfriends. We Put away what he had outgrown. Oh my, he has grown so much. He,s not really a little terrorist, but when you,re 2 the attitude just comes out at inconvenient times!:bigsmile:

DS#2 truck just bit the dust. He is actively looking for another. Hopefully less of a gasguzzler.

I have about 4 books from the library on the go. Just finished reading sheryl Sandberg,s book:Lean In. And no it has nothing to do with dieting or weightloss.:bigsmile: Her book struck a cord with me. Another generation yet again, but still so much to work on when it comes to gender equality. We are lucky in Canada to have good maternity and parental benefits.

Bye for now. I don,t expect to lose the same weight this week as last week, but it would be nice to lose 2 lbs.

Renny
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Found some wi-fi so I am popping in to say hi. The trip has been a challenge so far and it has been raining cats and dogs the whole time so I am cold and wet. Still it is nice to be in such a beautiful place and in touch with nature. I will check back later.

Robin, missing Bodi and Ritter
    visiting the cold and rainy state of Alaska!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    katla - glad you're home safe and sound and had such a great trip

DeeDee - I can't believe it's raining yet again! What crazy weather! Hope it doesn't rain for next weekend.

Anyone who is a dentist or dental assistant: I really should floss, but for some reason I just don't like to floss. Is there something else that I can do? I do use the waterpik religiously. But there's just something about flossing that bothers me, can't say what it is. Maybe its that it's not real easy to do. I don't know.

katla - that must have been very scary for you. Glad dh is better now.

Suzy in DE - did Lisa also write the book Skinny *****? That was a good book. I listened to the audiobook on my way to FL

LizPlus - yes, Vince finally did put the mirror up, but only after I said "why don't we just put it up since the paper got ruined? Oh well..... Cars can be such a problem, but they're great when they're working fine. Prayers for you and your sister

Tracy - welcome to a wonderful group! Pop in often

Did 20 minutes of yog today then held my plank for 2 minutes 10 seconds (last week it was 2 minutes 5 seconds). I really think I'm going to try to do that more than once/week. Then I took the extremepump class. Tomorrow I'm planning to do a bosu DVD then go to the church to pick up some tables. Later that morning I have an appointment for my boob squeeze.

Joyce - I just love reading about your family. So beautiful. Your parents love and how it changed people

Helen - welcome back

Heather - you deserve that raincoat. So glad you got it!

katla - have a great time. I really do wish the US celebrated Thanksgiving like they do in Canada. A few weeks before Christmas is just too soon, I'd like it more spaced out.

Off to mahjongg now. Update: maj'd twice

I found this recipe in Taste of Home for brownies so I tried them. Took some to mahjongg tonight. They were fairly decent. You know, I had some (gotta make sure they were OK) and for a while my stomach felt so "yukky".

barbie - lovely pic. Thanks for posting it

Joyce - honestly, do you own stock in the Kleenex company? Your posts make me want to cry, they're so beautiful. In many ways I think so many people today get a divorce at the first little disagreement. Or else they just grow tired of their partner. You have such lovely memories.

Kate in Brooklyn - your vacations sound wonderful. One question, tho, what happens on the days when it rains? Do you still ride in the rain?

Meg - I hope your dh is better. Would afterbite help? Whenever I get a mosquito bite, that stuff really helps stop the itch. Admitted you'd probably need quite a bit

Robin - enjoy yourself!

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Michele, I’ll pass your regards on to Phyllis…..she posts in the Senior Golden Sneakers group that I’ve been part of for a long time. You and are a lot alike about getting things done……I always have lists that include a plan of what has to happen each day. Jake says he needs to do something and it drives me crazy that he doesn’t write it down and then he’ll forget…sometimes I put things on my list that he has to do so I can jog his memory if they don’t get done….at least he’s gotten better about putting his appointments on the calendar.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, I’m glad I figured out how to help with your picture…..your tree looks amazing.

:brokenheart: LIzPlus, I feel for you and your car woes…..we had a bad experience last summer that cost more $$$$ than we could afford on our limited income and we are still recovering from it….I know that’s so tough on you along with the sadness about your sister.

:flowerforyou: Tracy, it helped me a lot to check in on this thread every day, and now I’ve been doing it for over four years.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, wow ----300 motorcycles…my DH has had stents put in and they’ve made a huge change in his health.

:flowerforyou: Genealace, good luck in your tournament tomorrow.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, thanks for all the great life experience stories

:flowerforyou: Helen, never, never, never give up

:bigsmile: Lucy in DE, congrats on staying with your exercise routine

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Helen, your new coat sounds awesome

:flowerforyou: Katla, Thanksgiving in August sounds yummy

:flowerforyou: Kate, when we traveled a lot, it took us weeks to get ready and weeks to recover. Your trip sounds exciting. I’d love to visit all those places in Canada---Montreal is as far east as I ever got.

Rhonda
    , 257724qzzhy39no4.gif

:grumble: Meg, OMG---chiggers…..where did they come from?

:bigsmile: Thank you for the kind words about my picture…..even with a camera on my phone, I forget to take pictures.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kate in Brooklyn: I’ve learned to do some substituting when I’m stressed and in nonstop eating mode. Celery is free. In fact it takes more calories to digest than it contains. Just a thought. We all have those days.:wink:

Joyce: I don’t have MS but I do lose words that later suddenly pop up. Elliptical is one of them. :ohwell:

Rhonda: I’ve been married to DH for 43 years and he’s been diabetic every one of them. Our latest misadventure wasn’t a bit more fun than any of the others. He’s is generally in good control, but summer sunshine and outdoor activities can sneak up on him. He doesn’t eat enough when he’s playing outside in nice weather. Thankfully it turned out okay. Again.:blushing: :heart:

Meg: Congratulations on the loss. WTG! :bigsmile: Your poor DH is in my prayers. I hope the chiggers die off quickly. As to back to work, I don’t envy you. Balance is hard to achieve. I didn’t ever make it until after I retired but I think you’re more capable than I was. MFP is a help, too.:flowerforyou:

RebelRenny: I’ve never met a truck that wasn’t a gas guzzler except an ancient four cylinder Datsun we had a zillion years ago. Of course there were absolutely NO creature comforts and DH worked on it constantly. :laugh: Good luck.:flowerforyou:

Robin: Enjoy Alaska, and tell us all about it when you can.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I’m not a dental anything and I hate flossing, too. DH found some Reach Access Flossers. They work, have a handle with a disposable gizmo that goes into the area between your teeth, doesn’t hurt, and isn’t expensive. You might like them, too.:flowerforyou:

We had a good day today, filled with ordinary pleasant things. We did go out to lunch at a local tavern. The food was okay, but I think this will remain an occasional stop for us. We had fish ‘n chips. The fish was good, but the French fries were an unhappy combination of dry and high calorie. At least they were "resistable." Talked to DD and DGD on the phone, and texted back and forth with DS. I feel connected to my family and that is the biggest joy of all.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

August goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 2 glasses of water daily.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Well I have self diagnosed myself and have decided what I have and probably did have on Saturday night is an attack of cellulitis. Those of you who are nurses probably know that can be quite serious, so I am going to the emergency doctors at 10 am today for antibiotics. My breast that had the cancer is hot, red and painful and all the lymph glands hurt on that side. I do feel a bit better in myself since yesterday pm, but my reading on the web suggests prompt antibiotics are a good idea.

So off to get washed and dressed,

Love to all.

Heather in lovely and sunny Hampshire UK
  • 56pickupsticks
    Options
    56 here with lotso weight to lose. I exercise and feel healthy but have 4 sizes of clothing in my closet; now wearing the largest size. I have to lose weight to improve my impaired kidneys, keep cancer from recurring, and prevent another heart attack. Ugh--I don't feel like a person who has these health problems!
    I am an avid reader, a painter who works with acrylics, a part-time art teacher, and a failed gardener who keeps trying :) I've been married 33 years and have two adult daughters, one son-in-law, and one son-out-of-law.
    If you would like to be my My Fitness Pal friend, I would like that!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Barbie-love love love that picture.. like someone said yes your smile just lights up the day.. we sure love ya lots:heart:
    Michelle-have your tried glide floss? it is flat and might be easier for you.. the best thing is to floss.. im not the greatest flosser either and I am a dental assistant:blushing:
    well I did pretty well at the gym today.. but the sodium is doing me in. or maybe im just holding on to water..who knows..it will come off eventually...
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    It was mastitis. Got the antibiotics - off to have a nap.:yawn:
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to all you beautiful Ladies;

******** Heather in Hamp,UK--I hope the antibiotics you will be on takes effect quickly, when one of our *girls* hurt..it is a tender time...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Katla49--Wished I liked celery...I need some low calorie foods....there is nothing that can uplift your spirits faster then a loving family, you are blessed... XX Take Care :happy:

********* Barbiecat--Thank you for the support..it warms my heart :heart: ...our car needs to go back to the Doc(garage) in 2 wks time to have a check up...we are in the process of finding a new Doc for her...you look lovely and very happy in your photo ...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Michele in NC--Thank you for the prayers, always nice to get.:heart: ..they have different flossing devices out now..maybe one of those will work for you...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Robin-- So sorry the weather isn't being nice for your trip...I bet your pet babies miss you too...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Renny-- Children at the age of 2 can be a challenge..but they are So adorable we can overlook it a good part of the time...Hope your DS#2 finds a good gas mileage vehicle...Thank God for the library or I would be not reading as much because books can be quite pricey...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Riscott--Happy Belated Birthday!!! Thank You for the support it is greatly appreciated :heart: ...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Kate in Brooklyn-- Thank You for the kind words and support :heart: ...I have been so blessed to have her in my life..she was always here for me...if I can just give back half I would be happy...You will be traveling in my territory..safe trip...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Grandmallie-- Sending a {{hug}}..those out of sorts day can be rough...XX Take Care :happy:

******** YannieJannie-- Thank You for caring..it is always nice to have a friend in these sad times :heart: ...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Tracy--Welcome to this wonderful group of ladies...Congrats in losing 8lbs already...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Vickil57-- Will put your DH in my prayers...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Joyce--That is SO wonderful that your dad and mom had such a loving relationship..I am sure they are up in heaven holding hands and looking down on their family and feeling so proud...XX Take Care :happy:

******** Sunbaby2013-- I have a problem too with eating the wrong foods..I am finding it so hard to get motivated to lose these lbs...maybe it will take off someday...XX Take Care :happy:

******** A super day to those that I may have missed...XX Take Care :happy:

I find it so inspiring to read how each one is doing and the support comes thru so strongly fr each one....Have a blessed week my friends :heart: :heart: :heart:

Liz fr Halifax NS

1836545mblph7p32e.gif
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Barbie:smile: I love your picture! Love, love, love the hat!!!!!

Michele:smile: The rain is turning me into a grouch:angry::laugh: ! At least the sun did manage to come out here late yesterday afternoon. I actually got to walk Noel without getting rained on:happy: ! I don`t mind flossing, I just think I don`t have time:blushing: , I had a cleaning appt. yesterday and told the hygienist that I had flossed for the last 3 days, might as well come clean as I know she would be able to tell:embarassed: , then told her I carry floss in my purse with me all the time, guess I was carrying it just in case someone else needed it:laugh: . She told me to try to at least floss 3 times a week, surely I can find the time to do that:tongue: ! It only took her 15 minutes to clean my teeth, she said I was doing something right:bigsmile: !

Rhonda:smile: Happy belated birthday wishes to you:flowerforyou: !

Robin:smile: Hope the rain stops and you get to enjoy the beauty of Alaska even more!

Heather:smile: Good luck at your Dr. appt.:flowerforyou: !

Katla:smile: I love your saying "ordinary pleasant things". I think I need to enjoy more ordinary pleasant things in my life too! Glad DH is doing better!!!

Meg:smile: Hope DH got some relief from all those chigger bites:flowerforyou: , I remember when I was a child I would always get them when we went blackberry picking:grumble: . Congrats on the weight loss...woo hoo!!!!!

Grandmallie:smile: All last week for me was a sodium fest, I`m still paying for it by being a couple pounds up on the dreaded scale:sad: , it will come off, just not as fast as I would like!

Okay ladies I was just replying by memory , I know I had more to say, just don`t remember all of it now:embarassed: . Wishing everyone a good and healthy day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in foggy NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rhonda: The sailing trip was wonderful, but the insulin reaction was beyond scary. He hasn’t had one this bad in years. He is feeling better now, though. Thank goodness!:bigsmile:

Heather in lovely and sunny Hampshire: I am glad you went to the emergency doctors for antibiotics. Mastitis is not something to mess around with. :noway: Once you kick it, your energy will rebound. Meanwhile take your antibiotics, drink lots of WATER, and rest. I’m having trouble with the idea of toddler and rest all at once. Challenging combination, I think. Grandpa needs to step up. Or has the little guy already gone? :flowerforyou:

56pickusticks: You’ve found a wonderful group of women. Let us know where you are. There are people here from all over the world, and it is fun knowing where everyone lives.:flowerforyou:

Liz from Halifax, NS: Celery comes and goes in my life. Mom gave it to me with peanut butter or Kraft pimento cheese when I was a kid. Now I eat it plain when I have the nervous munchies. I also use it in place of potato chips when I want to eat dip. The dip is sinful enough without the salt and fat potato chips bring to the party. Carrots are a bit higher in calories, but also good for munching when the nervous nibbles strike. Cucumbers are a possibility, but I don’t seem to like them unless they’re pickles and then they’re full of salt. :ohwell: You’ll need to experiment.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: You’d think I would be an expert on rain, being from the Pacific NW, BUT, I was in a rain shower in NC once upon a time, and that was the most INTENSE rain I’ve ever seen. It seemed like a warm bath fell out of the sky all at once and there were hardly any spaces between the drops. :noway: Too bad you can’t share your bounty with the drought stricken areas of the west.:flowerforyou:

Yoga today! Yay! I bought my very own yoga mat and hadn’t even tried it to see if I like i until just now. :embarassed: The reason I got my own is that there is one type I prefer, and not enough of that type to go around. I wasn't even sure the one I bought has the characteristics I like. So, my own words just led me to try it and I DON’T like it. :noway: It is too slick. I no longer have the receipt. I wonder if I can take it back. I should have tried it first thing. AARRGGHH! If I can’t take it back, I’ll donate it, or wash it with detergent, or something. Advice WANTED!

This evening a group of us are going to a local tavern to surprise one of our neighbors who works there. It is intended as a show of support. I hope it makes her feel appreciated.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

August goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 2 glasses of water daily.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues~~~
    make it a good one.HUGS
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Just checking back in after my looooong nap. DGS slept for two and a half hours this lunchtime so we all got a good rest. DH is a dream step grandpa, Katla, he does nearly all the energetic minding. He has such a way of talking with small children, they all adore him. He seems to tune in with whatever little 'obsession' it is at the moment, whether it is the green car versus the blue car, or semding the football uphill or downhill, and just runs with it for however long it takes. DGS sure has concentration - he can go on for ages!:love:

I am relieved to get my antibiotics. I asked the doctor for a thrush prescription at the same time as nine times out of ten, that's what follows on!:grumble: Still feel a bit woozy.

LizPlus - Kate, and others. I love roasted cauliflower. You just slice it into thinnish slices, sprinkle it with water and lemon juice, season it, add whatever spice is your favourite eg paprika and roast it until the edges begin to turn colour. You can keep it in the fridge and nibble it when you need to. I think shiritaki noodles can be a life saver. I wash, dry fry and season mine with chilli sauce. Some people don't like the texture. For a sweet treat for less than 100 cals have you tried low fat yoghourt with low cal drinking chocolate stirred in? Can be quite yummy and if the sweet bug bites, that can help. I'm sure there was a thread on MFP with all kinds of suggestions like this. Maybe the search engine could find it under low calorie treats.

We give DGS back to the other grandparents this evening, all bathed and pyjamaed and ready for bed. They live about 40 minutes away. He has been a dream. Then we rush back to tidy up before DSIL arrives at 9pm. The Prosecco is in the fridge. I have done NO exercise for 3 days because of my mastitis, so have been cutting back on cals. One glass won't kill me though.

Love to all. The men are putting up a tower for the outside painting. They will be gone soon. Quiet will descend. Next door were having their hedges cut today so there was plenty of noise in our rural haven!

Heather in Hampshire UK
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Greetings!

It's nice to see everyone again, I've quickly scanned through the posts...lovely photo of you, Barbie! And DeeDee, I love your tree!

Garden garden garden, that's the story of my life right now! :bigsmile: I have a table full of tomatoes again, I picked another 4 gallons of them yesterday after canning the first batch. I guess I'll be canning again this morning, and I need to pick raspberries. The canes are producing like mad! I've been giving lots of them away, the rest I'm just putting in the freezer.

I'm sorry to say I haven't been able to get back to my morning track-walking routine since the garden decided to pour its heart out and bless us with heaps of produce - funny thing is, do you know I was actually looking for the little PLU stickers on a couple of my homegrown bell peppers the other day :laugh: Oh I laughed! Felt kind of silly. :blushing:

My life has taken a major turn in the last week - my hubby, who's been mostly unemployed for the last few years, was hired on, full-time, for a long-term construction project at a local retirement community that's doing a complete remodel of the entire facility that could take 3 or 4 years. OMG!! :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: And, it's located 2 miles up the road, so no commute! :noway: To tell you the truth, I'm having a time getting reality to sink in!! I've been downtrodden for ages, worried about bills and wondering if we'd be able to keep the house, etc. Whew. Every day I wake with the little happy-reality-guy knocking on my psyche, chipping away at the stone of worry and fear that's been there for so long. I might have to go out and finally buy myself a brand new pair of tennies! :bigsmile:

Of course now the rear main seal has decided to go out in my car, :grumble: so we'll have to spend a fair amount to get that repaired. Red said we can probably fix it ourselves, we did the other side a few years ago, but it'll gobble up an entire weekend at least, and most likely means we'll have to take the axle to the machine shop to have the seal pressed out. If we run into difficulties I might have to start riding my bike to work. Wondering why I haven't been doing that all summer! :huh: My music lesson studio is 2 miles away :laugh:

Well, dearies, I'd better get busy here. I'll try to keep in touch more often. Oh! Almost forgot, I have to renew my driver's license soon, and of course get a picture taken. My old one is of the pudgy-faced me from 8 years ago, and a weight of 190 which was a bit underestimated :blushing: lol! I'm excited about filling in my current weight of 160, and I don't have to fudge a bit! Woooohooo! :drinker:

Great day to everyone :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb in warm, sunny, *happy* Portland :bigsmile: