WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I weighed in this morning before the Y and I lost another 6 lbs. :noway: I gained .8 last week but have lost a total of 12.8 lbs in 3 weeks. I have been so diligent about my food and my sodium. I've been walking every day!! So excited :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I don't know how I forgot to add that to my original post....:noway:

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all,

Made it to yoga, but slept in too late for tai chi.....which really is awesome, given my usual difficulty sleeping! Of course everyone wanted to go to IHOP afterward; think I did pretty well there and by the time we were done talking it was afternoon. Then on to the grocery store.

Have Pandora selecting tunes as I type this---just heard Ray Charles do "Georgia on my Mind"........one of my favs, now it's on Patsy Cline or Brenda Lee; earlier had it on the mid 60's English groups, then Motown........what can I say
    I like it all!!! Now on to June and Johnny Cash.

Michele.......I'll keep an eye out for those skinny licorice whips and let you know; really sounds like just what you need

Heather..........totally agree with you on loving this very special supportive friendly place; and YAY!!! on your clear report!!!

Sandy.........You have to read "The Art of Racing in the Rain"........I've had people tell me it was the best book they ever read; certainly in my top ten!!! Great for you making it to the Y. Hope you continue to enjoy it. YAY!!!! on the loss!!

Sylvia...........YAY!!! on the smaller sizes!

Vicki and Meg...........hope you guys cool off a bit soon

Bye for now
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic............warm and sunny
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Then, I found a pair of size 20 yoga pants that I bought by mistake a couple of years ago. I didn't have the receipt, so couldn't take them back, so I just stuck them in a drawer. They still had the tags on them. Well, just on a lark I tried those on too, and guess what? (Cue the orchestra) They FIT! Well! I've been wearing them all day, and sashaying my little (232 pound) self all around in my tiny pants! My legs look so much thinner! Now, I do realize that fitting into stretchy yoga pants is not terribly definitive of any great success, but these aren't even too tight! I'm never taking them off. Ever. Heck, maybe it time to retire my baggy 4x tshirts too.

Sylvia
    I used to be 302 pounds, but never again!

Sylvia! Congratulations on getting into those yoga pants!! I used to be a little over 300 also and have lost close to 60 pounds, though much of that was before I found MFP. No more 4x clothes for me - am now in 22s or 24s depending on cut. Those 4x tops of yours HAVE to go to charity - I bet you are down to a 20 in tops as well.

Bravo!!!

Jill in western MA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    Well, I have had a great chance to put my new happiness resolution to the test today!:grumble: Next door carried on with the drilling and hammering all day, despite it being a Saturday and glorious weather when you would want to sit in the garden. We went out to shop and they were blocking up our driveway when we got back. Eventually at 6pm they left and then out of my window I saw some people setting up tents in the field opposite. This turned into a full scale party! Music, the lot! It is still going on as I write. I kept on breathing and telling myself about my new happiness and that I was glad to have another chance at life. (It is really helping just writing this) Still feel very wound up, but I hope I'm going to cope and get through the night. Can you believe how inconsiderate people can be! Last year the same farmer let his field out to another party. This is a residential area. Well, I am trying to look at it as an opportunity to practice detachment and serenity!!! I am currently shut in my bedroom with all the doors and windows shut, watching a vvety loud and violent French film.:laugh:
    Thanks for listening!:flowerforyou:

At the shop I bought a nice exercise t shirt in a light purple and some new joggers in a size 12 UK! They do create a bit of a roll of fat at the waist, but I hope to lose a bit of that. My first 12s for 23 years! DH bought loads of new stuff and I persuaded him tobuy a medium instead of a large to show off his figure a bit more. He has been lifting my dumbbells! :laugh:

Joyce - hope things get better soon for your sister.:heart:

Sylvia - well done on the pants! How great that you are now rocking your smaller body!:flowerforyou: :drinker:

OK , so here's hoping I can take a deep breath and keep counting my blessings. Thank you Barbie for showing me how to track down my August goals. I will post the Sept ones tomorrow.

Love to all , Heather UK
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,702 Member
    Options
    Then, I found a pair of size 20 yoga pants that I bought by mistake a couple of years ago. I didn't have the receipt, so couldn't take them back, so I just stuck them in a drawer. They still had the tags on them. Well, just on a lark I tried those on too, and guess what? (Cue the orchestra) They FIT! Well! I've been wearing them all day, and sashaying my little (232 pound) self all around in my tiny pants! My legs look so much thinner! Now, I do realize that fitting into stretchy yoga pants is not terribly definitive of any great success, but these aren't even too tight! I'm never taking them off. Ever. Heck, maybe it time to retire my baggy 4x tshirts too.

Sylvia
    I used to be 302 pounds, but never again!

Sylvia! Congratulations on getting into those yoga pants!! I used to be a little over 300 also and have lost close to 60 pounds, though much of that was before I found MFP. No more 4x clothes for me - am now in 22s or 24s depending on cut. Those 4x tops of yours HAVE to go to charity - I bet you are down to a 20 in tops as well.

Bravo!!!

Jill in western MA

Hello Jill and Sylvia and everyone else. May I join this group too? [Is it a group or a thread? Only found it through a search.]

I am 60, was over 300 and fitting size 20/22 now too. Have been looking for others my age to share with.

Have a question. Recently it seems chairs are feeling harder. Maybe losing that natural cushioning I've suffered from all my life. A slender friend says "Welcome to my world". Is there anything to do to keep from losing weight where we need it? Or is that just a factor of age?

Thanks!
    Paula from California
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Paula,
    I'm new here too, but everybody seems so nice.

My butt hurts all the time too. I need one of those forever comfy cushions or something.

Congrats on losing so much weight!

Sylvia in Kansas
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Sylvia-- Welcome. What part of Kansas do you live? DH and I have family in Kansas City and Narka. In fact we have a wedding at Narka.

Blessed! Vicki in HOT GI NE
    [/quote]

Vicki, I'm in extreme southeast Kansas, near Joplin, Missouri. We're having a hot spell down here too. Tomorrow is supposed to be the hottest day of the year, but we've had a pretty mild summer up till now, so we can't complain too much.

Sylvia
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hi, folks. I needed to come back this afternoon for a bit of imspiration or something. I am just about ready to eat my way through my kitchen. Don't know what the trigger is today, but I needed to put it out in writing.

Sandy- Go to bookbub.com They have books for three types of e readers. Some of them are free, and the most expensive on the site is $3.99. Some of the books are worth reading, some aren't. Great job on the weight loss! Dancing the happy dance in your honor! :drinker:

Sylvia- Size 20 yoga pants! :flowerforyou: That is wonderful! Isn't it fun to find treasures in your own closet!

Vicki- I am right there with you trying to learn the "In God's Time" thing; I am very pushy! I would not care if Bill ate snacks after I cleaned the kitchen if he would only realize that he, too, is physicall & mentally capable of washing them off & putting them in the dishwasher! Of course, he has neither the physical nor mental capability to change the empty toilet paper roll, the empty paper towel roll or put his shoes someplace other than just inside the door! :tongue: Why do we love these guys?

Paula from California- Welcome! :flowerforyou: Yes, you may join, it's free and it is 'the more the merrier" ! I can not tell you what to do about hard chairs because that particular problem will never be mine! God seemed to pad me a little extra down there cuz he knew what a little imp I was going to be as a child! :bigsmile:

Sylvia in Kansas- Welcome! :flowerforyou:

I have a question for you all. I have to take a salad of some sort to a potluck on Monday. ( There will be two of us there who can not do gluten) I am bored, bored, bored w/ all of the old stand-bys, and you know how much I dislike those nasty leafy greens, do any of you have any suggestions/recipes I could try?

Ok- I am going to go out into the yard and yell at the weeds or something. Take care, my friends.

Pat
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Pat, most people don't realize that most salads are a minefield of calories, fat, and not so healthy stuff. When I have salad a home what I have is sliced tomatoes, peppers, radishes, cucumber, and sweet onions with no dressing. Because I am such a fusspot about what I eat, I don't eat at potlucks. I eat at home before I go and then spend the time at the event, talking to people. My husband likes to eat at potlucks so I make coleslaw for him to take (bagged cole slaw from the grocery store mixed with LIteHouse brand coleslaw dressing.

:laugh: I don't think this is a good answer to your question, but I loved the opportunity to vent about salads and potlucks.....the longer I stay away from recreational eating, the better I like it.

:heart: Barbie from sunny NW Washington

1054619uymc383ki3.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    well I overate again:grumble: what the heck is wrong with me.. I am finishing the day with a cup of tea, and then more water
    Pat- I dont have the recipe but there is a neat salad that I tried at a baby shower,that is broccoli slaw,ramen noodles,sunflower seeds and some type of dressing, but forgot you cant do gluten so thats out, sorry:blushing:
    I am sitting icing my foot again,I didnt do a whole heck of alot today, did go to the gym,and did a few things around the house, but this darn heel is so freakin bothersom
    I have a feeling that I might have to get a second shot, as much as I dont want to, I have to do something, and maybe get some pain medication too:huh:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you all. I have to take a salad of some sort to a potluck on Monday. ( There will be two of us there who can not do gluten) I am bored, bored, bored w/ all of the old stand-bys, and you know how much I dislike those nasty leafy greens, do any of you have any suggestions/recipes I could try?
    Pat

:flowerforyou: Pat: Have you ever tried a kale salad? If you google it you will find a good array of choices. Kale is not necessarily in season right now, but keep it in mind for the winter. I make a peanut kale salad at times which I am crazy about and use organic low cal Mr. Spice peanut dressing. I would also suggest different types of broccoli salads. Pinterest is a good source of information for recipes. I'll see if I can hunt some links down for you. (:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Okay, I just went to your profile and noticed you are in Arizona, so kale may not be available to you). I agree with Barbie, salads can pack an enormous amount of calories, so beware how to prepare.

Today ended up being such an unexpectedly wonderful family day. We were babysitting our 2 yr old GS overnight. Then this morning his parents (our daughter and SIL) came over, then our youngest son and wife came with 8 week baby girl, and our second oldest son was at hand as well. All we were missing was our oldest son. But heck, what a great gathering. DH and I loved it!!! We go nuts over our grandchildren and go completely silly! Apparently our kids love that about us. I always thank my kids for coming over, because I cannot imagine a more excellent thing.

You gotto enjoy the moments when they appear at your doorstep, don't you think?

Labour day weekend here, so an extra day off on Monday. I was awake at 4AM this morning. So funny when lil grandson sleeps over, that I keep my ear pealed at any sound. Once a mom, always a mom. And he never woke up until 7 AM! So, I could have slept another 3 hours. silly me.

On another note, I am no Mary Poppins and my house looks a mess. I wonder if that will change when I retire. I still work full-time and fortunately DH does most of the cooking and cleaning as well as the grocery shopping (the latter not always a good thing :bigsmile: )

I know a bunch of you ladies on this forum are retired. How did things work out for you when you first retired? Was it a 100% retirement? Did any of you continue to work part time after? How about your significant other?

Curious to hear about the different stories now or on the September thread (which starts tomorrow).

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,886 Member
    Options
    Pat(phoo) You might want to try this. I am pretty sure it is gluten-free. Chop up two apples, I like to do one red and one green. Add two stalks of celery chopped. One half cup dried cranberries and one half cup of pecans. I sometimes use the candied ones. Use vanilla yogurt for dressing. Stir it all together and voila! I have taken this to choir potlucks and it has gone over quite well. Sue in SD
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi Paula from Cali! Welcome to this board. There are lots of great women over 50 who post, motivate, and care about the folks in this group. Even though I don't post a lot, I do try to read everyone's comments.

I know of no way to bring natural padding back to the butt. :blushing: At hoe, I do add cushions to any chairs that hurt. It's a lot tougher when you are out and about, tho.

Keep active and drink water!! :drinker:

Jill from western MA
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Happy dance for Sylvia!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :smile: My daughter and I went shopping recently to get me some more size 16, started out in 20s, and the 16s were to big!!!! It is such a wonderful feeling.

Paula I think that is the $64,000 question. I would have loved to be able retain some of my tush but it seems to be dropping more and more. I just buy more pillows to sit on!

I went up to see my sister this afternoon. She has been on the hospital now going on 24 hours and still has not been seen by the on call doctor. She looks good, i stopped by and looked at her heart monitor and this cardiac nurse was satisfied with what I saw except the rate is to low. I thought she was on one of the B/P medicines that make your heart rate go down but she isn't.

Joyce
  • HelenTheZ
    HelenTheZ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, Cheryl - I just wanted to say I'm so sorry about all your heartache of late. I am SO glad you are going to counseling for/with your son! My son was victimized under different circumstances, and it is SO HARD to deal with. My life derailed for 2.5 years after we found out, and I went into a deep depression. You can message me ANY time for support.

Hugs,

Helen Z
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Today I had a picnic with my 3 ½ year old son at a nearby creek…we ate our lunch on a rock with our feet in the water, sweet! There were no other people and listening to the sounds of the running water was peaceful. We then waded for a couple hours; exploring, going through “tree tunnels” and keeping cool…it is so delightful seeing the world through a child’s eyes. I also enjoy my quiet time…his naptime. :laugh:

Every day when I log my food and exercise, I read everyone’s posts, and although I don’t always have time to respond in writing I “reply” in my thoughts. Keep on posting! :flowerforyou:

I am thinking about my September goals.

Terri, from sunny southern Oregon
  • HelenTheZ
    HelenTheZ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OMG Sylvia, I think I love you. In fact I love everyone here! What a great community! Thank you all!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Meg - when we lived in PA, the pool there at the Y was usually closed the week before Labor day, too. Not down here (thank goodness). I'm not sure when their maintenance is, but I hope its sometimes in summer so I can use my pool. Now that I think of it, I'm thinking that it's not in the summertime. Not sure why

Sandy - I've been a member of a Y since Brayn was in first grade, and he's now 27. I'm sure you'll do fine. I love water classes at the Y, especially in the summer. One thing I've found, tho is that when I'm sweating, it's hard for me to tell if that's because I'm working hard or if I'm having a hot flash....lol I know that when I'm in the water, many times I push myself, sometimes I even modify the exercises to make them more challenging. Congrats on the teriffic weight loss

Well, off to go into my pool. Later ladies.

grandmalle and Heather - add me to the list of "the sound of the waves is enough". To me, THAT's very relaxing. Guess that's why I love floating in the pool with the waterfall on.

grandmalle - I only "officially" weigh myself once/week. However, I do take the body test on the Wii every day and I can certainly see changes in my weight, one day up one day down.

Pat - after the river rock, we need to work on the front yard. Put in landscape lights, a lawn (the year this house was built NC had a BAD drought so they couldn't put in a lawn), Vince wants to extend the drainage pipes. I really don't like the rose bush by the garage (why would someone put a rose bush there? Roses have thorns, you get a new car and put it in the garage. The thorns scratch). I also don't like the crepe myrtle tree by the garage. I want something that blooms EARLY. I get so tired of winter and welcome spring so I need a sign of spring. Some of the bushes in the front have to go, they look so pathetic. We got those "cheapie" gloves for work, you know, the ones that are 3 to a pack but they are something like $5. They may be cheap, but they are durable (to some extent). I'm not so sure Vince knows how to take things out to the recycling bin. Actually, I know he knows how to, he just continues to put them in the can in the house and waits for me to empty the can into the recycle bin.

Meg - I must have missed something. What happened to your basement?

Joyce - vent all you want to. I can't believe it took that long for your sister to be seen!

Sylvia - You rock, girl! I say to give those shirts away, you don't neeed them.

Vicki - this isn't really a pet peeve of mine, but if I have dishes in the sink that need to go into the dishwasher, Vince will put his dishes into the dishwasher but not the ones in the sink. Maybe he's afraid that they don't belong in the dishwasher. Did that guy at work who sang "happy birthday" to you know that your dad used to sing it to you every year?

yanniejannie - thanks so much for looking for those licorice whips for me. That "ladder" and "steps" are really the hardest parts because the licorice doesn't stay bent over, but if I can get something that'll bend, I'll definitely be using it. Just let me know the manufacturer and any other info you can find out. Hope I can get them by me. Do you know that I can't get black string (shoelace) licorice? I was making something (I think a cat cake and needed it for the whiskers) and couldn't find black string licorice anywhere near here. I did find it in Charlotte, tho. But I'm not about to travel that distance just for string licorice.

Paula - welcome. Come relax with us. Unfortunately, when you lose weight, it comes off where your body wants it to come off.

Pat - at rummikub this month the gal asked me to make a broccoli salad. Actually, if the guy with the great corn is at the farmer's market., I'm going to ask her if I can bring corn on the cob instead. You can get broccoli just about any time during the year, but you can't get corn on the cob all the time. She said that she's planning to make baked ziti. Wish it was something else. I'm not real crazy about pasta. Plus, I know that baked ziti is something quite easy to make. Honestly, I'd prefer to have just a turkey sandwich but I don't want to rain on her. It's nice of her to volunteer to host.

Today started out by going to the farmer's market. This guy with really sweet corn was there so much to Vince's dismay, I got 2 more dozen. Afterwards, I went to CVS and used my coupon then on to the Y for yoga. We returned a table and chars we'd borrowed for the party (that really didn't get used) and I gave them 6 ears of corn. Came home and cooked the corn (so the sugars don't turn to starch) and cut up a watermelon that I got. It's sweet, too. That guy had sweet cantaloupe and now watermelon, but his corn wasn't all that good. Then it was so hot Vince stayed in the house and took a nap while I went into the pool. To me, it's just so very relaxing to be floating around. Later in the afternoon we started working outside only it sprinkled so we stopped, we weren't sure if it was going to rain harder or what. So I went to church so that we can get started early tomorrow. Came home, make more of the chocolate bran muffins. If Jessica comes down this weekend, I do have 2 pieces of london broil that I would like to get out of the freezer and some lobster tails. I'm thinking that I'll make a keylime pie (not good on the calories) and some low fat oatmeal raisin cookies (good on calories). I'm a bit hesitant to make them too far in advance because they are so good that I eat them. I don't want to have the temptation. made some more chocolate bran muffins and just finished making some tomato soup to have

Don't know why, but my eyes are burning me. Going to get off the computer. Hope everyone has a great evening. See ya in Sept (OMG)

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Here is the link to the new thread for September

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088146-women-ages-50-for-september-2013

I hope to see all of you there sometime this weekend.

:heart: Barbie from sunny NW Washington
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    The doctor just now left!!!! After 28 hours of being in the hospital she was finally seen. Ultrasound of the heart tomorrow.

Joyce