Protein Powder

Whats the down low on Protein powders?? Are they really required or is it a cash grab?? And who exactly should use it?? I myself am very active I lift and do full body workouts.. But I dony use any protein powders

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited December 2017
    Do you get sufficient protein without it? It's only really needed if you can't get enough protein in your normal meals

I personally like it in yoghurt (to add more protein, along with flavour and sweetness to natural yogurt - I don't need it if I buy one of the higher protein yoghurts though)

I also make protein pancakes - they'd take up too many carbs if I made "normal" ones.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Whats the down low on Protein powders?? Are they really required or is it a cash grab?? And who exactly should use it?? I myself am very active I lift and do full body workouts.. But I dony use any protein powders

I use it maybe once a week on days I don't hit my protein goal.

It's nothing magic, it's just protein in powder form.
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Whats the down low on Protein powders??
    Just a protein rich dietary supplement.
    Scores on convenience.
    Scores on calorie efficiency.
    Some people think they confer bonus "bro points" if consumed in a gym. :wink:

Are they really required.
    Nope. No more required than chicken any other individual source of protein.

or is it a cash grab??
    Not really - pretty inexpensive.
    Hyped - yes.
    Overused or used inappropriately - probably.

And who exactly should use it??
    People who like to drink some of their protein to help reach a suitable protein goal.

I myself am very active I lift and do full body workouts..
    Makes you a candidate for a higher protein goal than a sedentary person who isn't training/exercising. Protein shakes might help hit that goal but that's just a preference.

How do I know if I am getting enough protein??
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member

Good for meal replacement and convenience but no magic powers.

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited December 2017
    Scores on convenience.

or is it a cash grab??
    Hyped - yes.

People who like to drink some of their protein to help reach a suitable protein goal.

Makes you a candidate for a higher protein goal than a sedentary person who isn't training/exercising. Protein shakes might help hit that goal but that's just a preference.

Protein intake is way over-emphasized.

Check your macros on MFP which default to 20% protein.

If you get close to this you will be fine.

No need for the crazy protein numbers espoused by supplement shills like 1g/lb. etc.

Nonsense.

We all get suckered into this scam unfortunately. Same BS with BCAAs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Scores on convenience.

or is it a cash grab??
    Hyped - yes.

How much do you get?

Aiming to exceed MFPs target is probably emough.

I aim for around 0.8g per pound of bodyweight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Scores on convenience.

or is it a cash grab??
    Hyped - yes.

There's quite a range of recommendations but the factors that would normally be seen as reasons to increase above sedentary RDAs or general minimums would be:
    Calorie deficit.
    Training hard.
    Endurance cardio.

My personal preference when I was food logging was for 1g of protein per pound of estimated lean body mass. A rough estimate is fine, accuracy not required but I did tend to regard it as a minimum goal. That also suited my dietary preferences.
    These days I'm just mindful of both calories and protein and don't track either.
  • cq8642
    cq8642 Posts: 2 Member
    Scores on convenience.

or is it a cash grab??
    Hyped - yes.

If you're trying to build muscle and strength quickly, the general consensus is to eat about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight assuming you aren't obese or 1 g per pound of lean body mass if you are obese. For most men that ends up at around 150-200 g of protein per day and yes, I know that's much higher than the recommended minimum of 0.8 g per kg but that is what tends to get the best results if you're goal is to build size and strength quickly.

If that isn't your goal, or if it is but you're not in a hurry to get big and strong, then don't worry about it. It's pretty hard to not get the minimum amount of protein your body needs to be healthy so you won't have any health issues if your protein intake isn't high.

To go back to your question of whether or not you need protein powder, the answer is no, not really even if you have a high protein goal. My goal is to eat about 190 g of protein per day and I almost always do that with normal food. I still have some powder in my kitchen in case it's getting late and I'm way below my goal, but it's not something I rely on for my day to day nutrition.
  • marygraci999
    marygraci999 Posts: 1,917 Member
    cq8642 wrote: »
    Scores on convenience.

or is it a cash grab??
    Hyped - yes.

If you're trying to build muscle and strength quickly, the general consensus is to eat about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight assuming you aren't obese or 1 g per pound of lean body mass if you are obese. For most men that ends up at around 150-200 g of protein per day and yes, I know that's much higher than the recommended minimum of 0.8 g per kg but that is what tends to get the best results if you're goal is to build size and strength quickly.

If that isn't your goal, or if it is but you're not in a hurry to get big and strong, then don't worry about it. It's pretty hard to not get the minimum amount of protein your body needs to be healthy so you won't have any health issues if your protein intake isn't high.

To go back to your question of whether or not you need protein powder, the answer is no, not really even if you have a high protein goal. My goal is to eat about 190 g of protein per day and I almost always do that with normal food. I still have some powder in my kitchen in case it's getting late and I'm way below my goal, but it's not something I rely on for my day to day nutrition.

Deff not obese Im at 130 right now..
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited December 2017
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Scores on convenience.

or is it a cash grab??
    Hyped - yes.

Protein intake is way over-emphasized.

Check your macros on MFP which default to 20% protein.

If you get close to this you will be fine.

No need for the crazy protein numbers espoused by supplement shills like 1g/lb. etc.

Nonsense.

We all get suckered into this scam unfortunately. Same BS with BCAAs.

There is loads of research that does not agree with your assessment.
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0177-8

One example.

OP, protein powder can be useful in hitting your goal for the day. sjomial summed it up rather nicely.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    I supplement with protein powder because I seem to be unable to get all my protein grams otherwise. It's sad, really. Kinda like my inability to do math....I'm unable to consume the required amount of protein daily. The powder is my way of cheating the system, yo
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I struggle reaching my protein goals so a protein shake after a workout helps me reach my goal.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited December 2017
    I find it is an easy breakfast after swim, before work that I don't need to think about.

Also just got a lemon cheesecake powder that is going to be my pudding for a while! tres yummy.
    Average 19g protein for 100cals (with water - more with milk obvs). I like those numbers :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Protein powder is just a source of protein. I like a min amount of protein at all meals (I find it filling and it helps me meet my protein goal), so if my breakfast would normally be lower protein I include it. More often than not (as when I'm regularly having vegetable omelets for breakfast), I don't.

Good protein goal if you are trying to lose weight or gain muscle (or both) is about .65-.85 g per lb of a healthy goal weight (as you are a healthy weight, just using your weight is fine). I tend to aim for the higher end (.8) when at a deficit as I'm a woman in my 40s so can use some help retaining or building muscle (obviously work out matters more).
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member

No, but it helps me manage my chocolate cravings. I use protein powder to make yummy homemade chocolate protein bars that fulfill my craving for a sweet treat but are low sugar, carbs and high protein. In the long run, I wouldn't feel happy eating a bunch of cookies and brownies every day, but I'm good with a protein bar every single day.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    I personally love protein powder :) I don't drink one every day but it helps on days that my protein levels from food sources are on the low side. Most of them are also pretty low in calories. I'm weight training in a deficit so thats a huge plus! It's also quick and convenient
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Mint chocolate chip with water is great. Trying to bulk so it's quick and easy for inbetween meals.