Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    20294607 wrote: »
    Ok this got a really bad reaction

Because it’s a really bad idea.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You have your answer. Eat more. Is this a guy? 1500 calories daily at least and eat back your exercise calories.

Weigh and log all your meals for optimum results.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My BMR is 1200 calories a day according to this I should consume 900 calories a day with hard exercise to lose 1 kg a week

No, that's not how it works -at all. You need 1200 calories just for your body to function - heart to beat, breathe, etc. You must eat that much even if you were just lying in bed in a coma. Any activity you do - getting up, getting dressed, walking, moving at all, will raise the number of calories you need to function. You need to figure out your TDEE which includes your activities, including exercise, then subtract 500 calories, (or 250 calories) to lose weight. My BMR is 1200 calories. My TDEE is around 1700 ( I am pretty sedentary, being physically disabled), and I eat 1350 calories a day to lose weight. If I exercised and burned 500 calories, I would eat most of those back, which would put me at about 1800 calories to eat to lose weight. But I can't exercise enough to burn that much.
    20294607 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    My BMR is 1200 calories a day according to this I should consume 900 calories a day with hard exercise to lose 1 kg a week

Start here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

You're not understanding how your body works. Your BMR is the minimum amount your body needs just to keep you alive, NOT the amount you should be eating every day if you're not in a coma...

I understand that my body burns 1200 calories naturally however, according to my BMR I should be eating 900 calories a day whilst being very active to lose 1 kg per week.
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You have your answer. Eat more. Is this a guy? 1500 calories daily at least and eat back your exercise calories.

So I'm supposed to be eating back the calories burned when I exercise?
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    MFP is not giving you 900 calories, at minimum if you’re a female you’re getting 1200. And no, that won’t result in a 2 lb loss for some people so they’re telling you basically that you should not aim to do that because it would result in you being undernourished.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Start here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

You're not understanding how your body works. Your BMR is the minimum amount your body needs just to keep you alive, NOT the amount you should be eating every day if you're not in a coma...

I understand that my body burns 1200 calories naturally however, according to my BMR I should be eating 900 calories a day whilst being very active to lose 1 kg per week.

Why do you need to lose so fast? What is the rush.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Start here:

You don't take your cut from your BMR, you take it from your tdee. Do you know what that is?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Start here:

Read the threads in the post I linked to, they'll help you to understand how this all works.
    Options

Start here:

Read the threads in the post I linked to, they'll help you to understand how this all works.

Ok I'll take a read thanks
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

So I'm supposed to be eating back the calories burned when I exercise?

Yes.

I'll do that from now on
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? If you only want to lose 5 kg, it's probably going to take you more like 20-22 weeks if you're already at a healthy weight.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Ok this got a really bad reaction

That ought to tell you the answer, then.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    What are your stats? If you only want to lose 5 kg, it's probably going to take you more like 20-22 weeks if you're already at a healthy weight.

5kg is about 11lbs right? I’ve just lost that in under 4 weeks.
    OP - don’t starve yourself. I’ve been eating up to 1,300 daily and I’m losing weight relatively quickly - with little exercise beyond a short brisk walk each day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    SteamPug wrote: »

OP - don’t starve yourself. I’ve been eating up to 1,300 daily and I’m losing weight relatively quickly - with little exercise beyond a short brisk walk each day.

Which is fine if you have more to lose. But the closer you are to goal the smaller of a deficit you should have.
  • SteamPug
    Options
    SteamPug wrote: »

Which is fine if you have more to lose. But the closer you are to goal the smaller of a deficit you should have.
    Well I’m only trying to go from 140 - 125, which isn’t really a huge loss?
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    15 lbs. No, it's not a huge loss. You need to lose it over a few months. Are you male or female and how tall, age?

• SteamPug
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    15 lbs. No, it's not a huge loss. You need to lose it over a few months. Are you male or female and how tall, age?
    Well I’m about 4lbs away from my goal and it’s been almost 4 weeks. Oops?
    I’m female, 5’4”, 25.
    Honestly I’ve never had any luck with “dieting” before until I started counting calories.. and then wooosh ~ it all came off
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Start here:

MFP would have never given you 900, the lowest it will ever give you is 1200. What does MFP give you? On your diet profile how much weight did you chose to lose? Stop doing extra math, MFP does it for you.
This discussion has been closed.