Is 500-900 calories to little?

Options
13»

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The thing is OP, is that you cannot go back to eating the way you did before you started dieting otherwise you will gain it back. You need to figure out what your maintenance calories are for your height and eat that once you lose the weight. In the meantime you should up your calories at least to 1200. It will take you longer to lose that last 4 lbs. but at least you will not be starving yourself (as you were on 900 calories per day).

I put your stats in this basic calculator and you can see how much you will need to eat once you lose the weight and weigh 125 lbs. On the right you can see how much to eat depending on your activity level.

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=25&lbs=125&in=64&act=1.2&f=1
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    SteamPug wrote: »
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    15 lbs. No, it's not a huge loss. You need to lose it over a few months. Are you male or female and how tall, age?
    Well I’m about 4lbs away from my goal and it’s been almost 4 weeks. Oops?
    I’m female, 5’4”, 25.
    Honestly I’ve never had any luck with “dieting” before until I started counting calories.. and then wooosh ~ it all came off

It went woosh because you were starving yourself.....
    I did start at 1,000, but I read (and was told) about how unhealthy that was and moved up to 1,200 - so not really starving ^^’
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    20294607 wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    20294607 wrote: »
    My BMR is 1200 calories a day according to this I should consume 900 calories a day with hard exercise to lose 1 kg a week

Start here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

You're not understanding how your body works. Your BMR is the minimum amount your body needs just to keep you alive, NOT the amount you should be eating every day if you're not in a coma...

I understand that my body burns 1200 calories naturally however, according to my BMR I should be eating 900 calories a day whilst being very active to lose 1 kg per week.

But why do you need to lose 1kg per week? This is extreme unless you've got more than 100 lbs to lose and if that was the case, I'm fairly certain your BMR would be higher than 1200.

(For reference, I started out 5'3, 254 lbs, with a BMR of 1766. I'm now 157.8 lbs, with a BMR of 1330. At least, according to: http://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=45&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=3&cpound=254&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&x=92&y=28).

You should NOT be eating below BMR. It's neither safe nor sustainable.

• duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Do you wanna end up in the hospital with multiple organ failure? Because this, done for any length of time, is how you end up in the hospital with multiple organ failure.

You're engaging in an eating disorder here, not any kind of valid weight loss plan.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    15 lbs. No, it's not a huge loss. You need to lose it over a few months. Are you male or female and how tall, age?
    Well I’m about 4lbs away from my goal and it’s been almost 4 weeks. Oops?
    I’m female, 5’4”, 25.
    Honestly I’ve never had any luck with “dieting” before until I started counting calories.. and then wooosh ~ it all came off

It went woosh because you were starving yourself.....
    I did start at 1,000, but I read (and was told) about how unhealthy that was and moved up to 1,200 - so not really starving ^^’

Net? As in eating back excersise calories....

I do very little exercise.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    JustSomeEm
This discussion has been closed.