Do genetically engineered Christmas carols make you sick?

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
http://gator995.com/a-scientist-says-hes-engineered-the-perfect-christmas-song/

A musicologist at the Boston Conservatory named Dr. Joe Bennett says he has engineered the perfect Christmas song after analyzing 200 Christmas songs.

From his studies and scores of data he found it was important to use words like “Santa”, “snow”, “home”, “peace”, and “love”, but most importantly the word “Christmas”. The song needed to be played in a major key, have an average tempo of 115 beats per minute, and feature plenty of sleigh bells.

Using all of his data, he engineered a song called “Love’s Not Just For Christmas“, which he says is the, quote, “happiest Christmas song ever.”

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Oh sorry, I couldn't last the whole song. I haven't moved past things like Away in a Manger though.

Cheers, h.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    This is gonna sound bah humbug but.. christmas is my most hated holiday, I don't like any christmas music, i don't decorate, i don't do nothin. My boyfriend had to drag me to his tree just to put 1 decoration on it which he bought for me specifically, a rainbow unicorn.. other then that.. meh
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    There is nothing wrong with all of the traditional Christmas music. Trying to manufacture false cheer just makes it sound like Stepford music. It's awful and overly pop sounding. I couldn't last more than a few seconds of it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I love traditional Christmas music. At this time of year I prefer more somber Advent music, too, although I realize there is no longer any battle against just celebrating Christmas in advance. I dislike most non traditional happy Christmas songs or Santa-related songs and anything super kitchy/overly country (I don't dislike country music in general or country singer renditions of traditional carols, and I quite like some of these: http://www.citypages.com/music/the-ten-most-depressing-country-christmas-songs-6622891). I also like lots of not especially pop alternative versions of songs or new songs (love the Low Christmas album). Haven't listened to the song which is the subject of this thread and I reserve the right to change my mind on any song.

(My secret shame is that Last Christmas now always makes me happy when I hear it.)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    I prefer the more traditional Christmas music (I also prefer to wait until about a week before Christmas to listen to it!), with the exception of The Christmas Shoes...my favorite Christmas song.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I prefer the more traditional Christmas music (I also prefer to wait until about a week before Christmas to listen to it!), with the exception of The Christmas Shoes...my favorite Christmas song.

Oh, that's too funny - I absolutely LOATHE "Christmas Shoes." It just strikes me as soooo fake!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    I didn't click the link posted by the OP yet, but I don't care much for Christmas music either. Every year is the same, same old stuff. It is also annoying when the stores and radios start playing Christmas music in November. I know that is a marketing tool to make you think in the Season and buy more stuff. It doesn't work for me. I buy what I had planned and can afford, but the music turns me off.

Few years ago my Pilates instructor decided to teach the class with fast paced Christmas music starting before Thanksgiving. I didn't take any class with her during the holiday season. How can somebody be inspired and motivated to work out listening to those songs? Not me, for sure!

I live in southern California (away from the fires), our temperature has been fluctuating between the mid 70s to the low 80s and very sunny. Our gardens are full of flowers, so Christmas music talking about sleds, snow, and winter stuff doesn't do much for me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My old office was located in a strip mall where the landlord put on a Christmas CD in a repeat loop. It was five different versions of "Greensleeves". It's a miracle I did not rip off my ears.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    interesting, I have always preferred the slower more hymn like Christmas songs than the upbeat ones. Playing an instrument in middle school and high school gave me a special loathing for stupid, repetitive Christmas music.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I like the classics...

I don't listen to a ton of Christmas music though...usually have it on while we're decorating the tree or playing lightly in the background if we're having a holiday party or something.

I can only take so much and by the time Christmas passes, I'm pretty over the Christmas music.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I like the classics...

I don't listen to a ton of Christmas music though...usually have it on while we're decorating the tree or playing lightly in the background if we're having a holiday party or something.

I can only take so much and by the time Christmas passes, I'm pretty over the Christmas music.

We play it when we're making Christmas cookies. That's pretty much it.

I get my fill when I go grocery shopping. The supermarket starts playing it on Black Friday and doesn't stop until New Year's. It's awful. In their defense, they play the good old stuff, though.
  • NorthCascades
    Unfortunately I drive to and from work, which means I fill my stuck in traffic time by trying to find something on the radio work listening to. Carols have taken over two radio stations. The old ones are nostalgic. The new ones, there are so many awful recordings.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Unfortunately I drive to and from work, which means I fill my stuck in traffic time by trying to find something on the radio work listening to. Carols have taken over two radio stations. The old ones are nostalgic. The new ones, there are so many awful recordings.

I'm not a huge fan of a whole season of Christmas music (if I had my way, I'd listen to Christmas music on Christmas Eve and not for two whole months), but I really dislike new Christmas music. So many of them are just covers of songs that don't need new versions (IMO) or terrible new songs. Just . . . no.
  • NorthCascades
    I'd call them "cynical cash grabs" personally...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'd call them "cynical cash grabs" personally...

It's hard to think of what else to call them when you hear the 9 millionth cover of "Winter Wonderland."
  • NorthCascades
    Yeah, or Insane Clown Posse singing I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    In a similar vein, I visited the SkyTree in Tokyo about this time last year. The PPAP song by Pikotaro was really popular then, and the gift shop area had it playing on a constant loop. It's a very good thing that firearms are hard to come by there.