Do genetically engineered Christmas carols make you sick?

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Canadian classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkX4-Dj7XeE

Beer in a tree.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So a radio station around here that went 24/7 holiday music on Thanksgiving played a poppier version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah today and I'm calling BS. Just because a song includes a holy word does not make it holiday music, and no amount of bells added to the music makes that song a Christmas tune, dammit. :neutral: I may have to write a strongly worded email.

Just in general, conventionally-religious/pious takes on that song cause me some cognitive dissonance. I mean, Leonard Cohen?! Does anyone even read the lyrics from the less-often-covered verses: Yikes!

Even the routinely covered second verse is just odd if someone is trying to make it a religious song in that it conflates (or confuses) David and Samson. I like the song a lot, but this drives me batty because I'm the kind of person who listens to lyrics.

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
    You saw her bathing on the roof
    Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew ya

[Note: pretty sure this is Bathsheba (and David, who the first verse also refers to)]

She tied you to a kitchen chair
    She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
    And from your lips she drew the hallelujah

[Note: not Bathsheba (that story was that David got her husband Uriah killed in battle on purpose so he wouldn't find out about the affair). Clearly Samson and Delilah. Charitable interpretation, he's subtly changing who "you" is, but I really don't think so.]
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Well it's better than "Don't they know it's Christmas"and "Santa Tell Me" butit ain't no "O Holy Night" or even "Grandma got Run over"
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Santa Baby is pretty aweful too.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Canadian classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkX4-Dj7XeE

Beer in a tree.

I love this one!
  • Jruzer
    Options
    So a radio station around here that went 24/7 holiday music on Thanksgiving played a poppier version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah today and I'm calling BS. Just because a song includes a holy word does not make it holiday music, and no amount of bells added to the music makes that song a Christmas tune, dammit. :neutral: I may have to write a strongly worded email.

Oh my goodness, yes!

Dan Fogelberg's "Same Old Lang Syne" - NOT a Christmas song
    "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music - NOT a Christmas song
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Just in general, conventionally-religious/pious takes on that song cause me some cognitive dissonance. I mean, Leonard Cohen?! Does anyone even read the lyrics from the less-often-covered verses: Yikes!

Even the routinely covered second verse is just odd if someone is trying to make it a religious song in that it conflates (or confuses) David and Samson. I like the song a lot, but this drives me batty because I'm the kind of person who listens to lyrics.

[Note: pretty sure this is Bathsheba (and David, who the first verse also refers to)]

[Note: not Bathsheba (that story was that David got her husband Uriah killed in battle on purpose so he wouldn't find out about the affair). Clearly Samson and Delilah. Charitable interpretation, he's subtly changing who "you" is, but I really don't think so.]

Well, in all fairness - Leonard Cohen. I don't know if he's a Messianic Jew or not, but I don't think Christmas is a thing with the Jewish people. . .and I agree.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So I just listened to the OP song. Interestingly, if you don't listen to the words, it doesn't sound like a Christmas song to me. The article mentions "lots of bells" but I don't think bells really stand out in the song. It's a nice enough, vanilla pop song. It wouldn't annoy me if I heard it on the radio as Christmas music nearly as much as some of the other "flash-in-the-pan pop artist tries to write a holiday tune" songs do. But I wouldn't be downloading it off i-tunes or anything. I would expect it to ultimately become the theme song of a Hallmark channel holiday movie starring a soap opera actor and a model who thinks she can act.
  • kimny72
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Oh my goodness, yes!

Yeah, I mean, I'll give stations that are going 24/7 from Thanksgiving through 12/31 a little latitude with New Year's type sentiments, but that Folgelberg song is such a downer it shouldn't count regardless of other exceptions. Like I need reminders I'm old and dragging wasted time around like an anchor at this time of year lol.

The only time ANY Sound of Music songs are acceptable is the one time a year they are showing it on TV. Full stop.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness, yes!

+1 Especially "My Favorite Things"! Does mentioning sleigh bells automatically qualify it as a Christmas song? Or is it the snowflakes?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Oh my goodness, yes!

+1 Especially "My Favorite Things"! Does mentioning sleigh bells automatically qualify it as a Christmas song? Or is it the snowflakes?

Those do make it "seasonal".

Doesn't make me want to listen to it, though.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    So I just listened to the OP song. Interestingly, if you don't listen to the words, it doesn't sound like a Christmas song to me. The article mentions "lots of bells" but I don't think bells really stand out in the song. It's a nice enough, vanilla pop song. It wouldn't annoy me if I heard it on the radio as Christmas music nearly as much as some of the other "flash-in-the-pan pop artist tries to write a holiday tune" songs do. But I wouldn't be downloading it off i-tunes or anything. I would expect it to ultimately become the theme song of a Hallmark channel holiday movie starring a soap opera actor and a model who thinks she can act.

Confession time. I haven't heard it. The radio described how it was made and it sounds amusing, but completely soulless. All the music I enjoy started with a musician having a good musical idea, not an engineer figuring out how to get headlines.

Maybe I should listen to it as penance for staying this thread.
  • kimny72
    Options

Confession time. I haven't heard it. The radio described how it was made and it sounds amusing, but completely soulless. All the music I enjoy started with a musician having a good musical idea, not an engineer figuring out how to get headlines.

Maybe I should listen to it as penance for staying this thread.

It's less soulless than you would think, but more soulless than you would care for. :tongue:
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Well, in all fairness - Leonard Cohen. I don't know if he's a Messianic Jew or not, but I don't think Christmas is a thing with the Jewish people. . .and I agree.

I am aware he was Jewish, and not everyone knows the Bible, of course, but King David and Samson -- Hebrew Scriptures. Hardly Christian specific (or about Christmas, as the song is not). He apparently grew up religiously Jewish too, so it's kind of weird.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Oh my goodness, yes!

Those do make it "seasonal".

Doesn't make me want to listen to it, though.

I think it's just Sound of Music -- wasn't it played on TV at Christmas for a long time? A theater near me (the Music Box, for anyone in the area) does a singalong Sound of Music at Christmastime sometimes. (Would agree it's not a Christmas song, though.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Santa Baby is pretty aweful too.

Yeah, hate it. Although Do They Know It's Christmas is the worst (well-intentioned and perhaps did a lot of good, I'm talking specifically about the lyrics). Not only the fact that not everyone actually cares (in that not everyone is Christian), and they are hungry, not unaware of the calendar, this line cannot be forgiven, IMO:

"Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you"

Not exactly what I think of as the Christmas message.

Nor this idiocy:

"And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time"

Ah, the tragedy. (To be clear, not having snow in Africa, not bad. Starving, bad.)

"Where nothing ever grows
    No rain nor rivers flow"

Um, not true.

This part is so bad I like it, though:

"And the Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom"
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    What do you think of the two (?) Beatles Christmas songs?

Had anybody in here heard the De la Soul cover?
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    @tomteboda Thanks for the playlist! I'll listen to them even though you don't like "Mary," :lol: All great artists, I don't think I can go wrong.

You're welcome! Yeah my opinion on that other song is largely pedantic and due to objections too bad theological awareness couched as contemplation. With different lyrics I'd probably love it as well. Or if I just didn't get so laser-focused on what lyrics mean. It Is very pretty!

I dislike In The Bleak Midwinter for the same reasons. I doubt it was snowing in Bethlehem!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    What do you think of the two (?) Beatles Christmas songs?

Had anybody in here heard the De la Soul cover?

To be pedantic, weren't they solo efforts, unless I'm brain farting seriously. I don't recall the Beatles themselves having any specific Christmas music.

Wonderful Christmas Time? Can't stand it. And I like Paul.

Happy Christmas (War Is Over)? I like it better than Wonderful Christmas Time.

I'd still rather listen to the obscure recordings the Beatles as a group did of their Christmas greetings. Those are weird and wonderful.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    I just ran into this one. I'd totally forgotten about Gaudete! (Plus this weekend is Gaudete Sunday.)

https://youtu.be/BaTeascyDq8