Options
13»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Yuck to mangos, even covered in chocolate. But I can get behind figs, especially when it’s a Newton. With a nice Pinot Noir.

sad to admit iv never had a fig :(

You're not missing much. Blasphemy to some, I know, but I never much cared for them. I find them too sweet. I like my fruit to have a little bit of tartness to it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    So my favorite fruit of all time is figs, and I know there is a bunch of fruits that are a nono when it comes to dieting (like mangos) is figs one of them?
    Ps: I just ate one

I'd love to know what mangos did to end up on the naughty list...

Mine are dried and then coated in dark chocolate...very naughty, but I still lost weight.

I now want these more than I've ever wanted something else sweet. I need to ask my husband to hunt some down for Christmas for me.

imageService?profileId=12028466&itemId=979210&recipeName=352

We don't belong to Costco. I hope we can source these some other way. I must have them.

I've never seen them at my Costco. Gonna have to figure out how to get some. Those are....the realest.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So have we heard why mangoes are the forbidden fruit?
    ETA:
    Au contraire there is a Mango Diet
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/10/mango-diet.html
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yuck to mangos, even covered in chocolate. But I can get behind figs, especially when it’s a Newton. With a nice Pinot Noir.

I have only ever had them in Newton form. They aren't something you find in the supermarket next to the apples here and I've never seen a reason to go looking for them!

I'd assume mangoes were unfairly dumped in the sin bin next to the bananas due to the debil sugars. They are the 2 fruits usually highlighted in those click-bait articles - Avoid these 5 foods if you want a bikini bod!!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

You're not missing much. Blasphemy to some, I know, but I never much cared for them. I find them too sweet. I like my fruit to have a little bit of tartness to it.

Are you talking fresh or dried here? Fresh are the bomb.
    kimny72 wrote: »

I have only ever had them in Newton form. They aren't something you find in the supermarket next to the apples here and I've never seen a reason to go looking for them!

I'd assume mangoes were unfairly dumped in the sin bin next to the bananas due to the debil sugars. They are the 2 fruits usually highlighted in those click-bait articles - Avoid these 5 foods if you want a bikini bod!!!

They don't travel well, hence why they're not often seen in supermarkets anywhere, and if they are, they cost the earth and are generally priced per fig.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

They don't travel well, hence why they're not often seen in supermarkets anywhere, and if they are, they cost the earth and are generally priced per fig.

Fresh. I only ever tried them once, fresh off my in law's fig tree.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Yep. I hate dried figs, but find someone with a garden? Amazing. I'm having a hard time growing them in my newer colder climate but I'm going to keep looking for a cultivar that will work. Zone 5b if anyone knows anything.

So, has OP been back?

I have never seen a fresh fig around here. I have had dried figs and like them plenty though.

It's interesting to read what fruits are commonly available in different places. I have a friend from Indiana who talks about persimmons all the time. They are seldom available at most grocery stores here in Ohio. When I find one it is a treat.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options

Yep. I hate dried figs, but find someone with a garden? Amazing. I'm having a hard time growing them in my newer colder climate but I'm going to keep looking for a cultivar that will work. Zone 5b if anyone knows anything.

Hardy Chicago 'should' grow in 5b. OTOH, I live in zone 6, and mine froze out when we got a late cold snap after a period of warming. If you have a garage or accessible basement, you can grow a fig tree in a big pot. Mine lives on the patio during warm months, and in the basement from November-April. I'm going to try to propogate mine over the winter and try again with growing the cuttings outdoors.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

The only fig I've ever had was in Newton form...my dad used to love those...I always thought they were just ok...
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Poor little mango, put in a timeout for a no-no.

My favorite summer treat is a 10oz package of frozen mango with cinnamon spooned on top. Yes, I eat the whole thing because it fits my calories.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So my favorite fruit of all time is figs, and I know there is a bunch of fruits that are a nono when it comes to dieting (like mangos) is figs one of them?

Fruit that is a no no? What is that? Food is food. No nos are those that I do not like/enjoy I suppose...fruit is sugar plus fibre = goooood!
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

I eat figs, I also eat a lot of mango, and I loose weight, why would it be a no-no?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options

So, has OP been back?

Do you know about the so-called "zombie method", where you bury them in winter? I've read about it, never tried it.

http://www.italiangardening.com/2011/04/three-ways-to-store-your-fig-trees-for.html
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm always a little nervous with figs about biting into the wasp.......
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I'm always a little nervous with figs about biting into the wasp.......

This might make you feel better, apparently NorthAmerican figsare self pollinating and don't use wasps.
    https://www.attainable-sustainable.net/fig/