Weird regional foods

Options
Just_Mel_
Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
Okay, maybe they're not weird to you, but they might be to someone else.
What's something that's eaten where you live but not necessarily everywhere else?

Replies

• Just_Mel_
    Options
    This is where @JackKopCh needs to post a pic of his yorkshire pudding.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I am in the midwest and can't really think of anything "weird". Gross? Yes. Like mountain oysters are popular here. I have never and will never try them.

We do serve cinnamon rolls with our chili. I am told by other region inhibitors that that is weird. It is amazingly yummy though.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Chili & cinnamon rolls. BIL from another state never heard of it and thought we were all f-ing with him ... Until it was for dinner one night.
  • NoCookiesBish
    NoCookiesBish Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Speidies!
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    Oh the grits. Sweet tea is huge here.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    csbnga wrote: »
    Oh the grits. Sweet tea is huge here.

I find sweet tea repulsive. It's just brown sugar water. Blech!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    Arizona Sonoran Dogs

4c2a81e8a43c9.image.jpg
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    Guess in Minnesota we turn lots of stuff in to a "Hotdish" or what other people would maybe call a casserole.

TatorTot Hotdish is the yummiest of all
  • Just_Mel_
    Options
    I'm not originally from Oklahoma, but when I moved here as a teenager I was disgusted to learn that a lot of people put chopped hardboiled eggs in their thanksgiving stuffing and gravy. Gross.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    Food from New Mexico; it's different from Old Mexico ( really, it is. trust me on this one.).

Alamexo-Cantina-plantain-cakes.-Credit-SLC-Eats.jpg
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Carolina and our mustard based pulled pork in a highlight. We're also big on shrimp n' grits but I'm not a huge fan of grits. I googled to make sure I wasn't missing something and one site has boiled peanuts on the list. Yall seriously don't eat boiled peanuts???? They're great, I like the ham/cajun variety.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    Guess in Minnesota we turn lots of stuff in to a "Hotdish" or what other people would maybe call a casserole.

TatorTot Hotdish is the yummiest of all

mmm hotdish for the win!
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    lots of people here are Scandinavian...and therefore eat a lot of lutefisk. I've never tried it myself, but based on the smell I wouldn't recommend. Another Scandinavian thing that is fairly popular here, Lefse. My personal favorite. I would (and do) eat that shiz day and night.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    lots of people here are Scandinavian...and therefore eat a lot of lutefisk. I've never tried it myself, but based on the smell I wouldn't recommend. Another Scandinavian thing that is fairly popular here, Lefse. My personal favorite. I would (and do) eat that shiz day and night.

Yesss....Lefse. It's been a grip since I have had that.