Weird regional foods

Options

Replies

• sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    Some people here in UK eat cows tongue ! Eeeeeeugh

A lot of Mexican restaurants make tacos out of them. When I go to Chicago I always bring one back. It's easy to cook and delicious.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    My uncle's family eats mayonnaise in their pinto beans... It is really tasty, but SOOO BAD for you!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    We used to visit Hermosillo Mex all the time and they always served fried intestines.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Some of us may or may not put a spoonful of sour cream on our chili.

A couple of people here do this really atrocious thing like putting ketchup on macaroni & cheese. I DO NOT do that ... I'm not weird that way.
  • hoppgeorge
    hoppgeorge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    5o87yrdzqifz.jpg

Im from Vermont and i believe poutine if from just north of us in Canada, but just about every place around here serves a variation
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    becky3695 wrote: »
    csbnga wrote: »
    Oh the grits. Sweet tea is huge here.

I live in a small area of the South where we put sugar in our grits. From the best I can tell, this seems to be isolated to Northern Georgia.

Yep, sugar in the grits. If no sugar, then cheese.
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    https://youtu.be/dxQmOR_QLfQ

You haven’t lived until you had this (not regional )
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Scrapple!!! It's delicious. Just google it...it's a breakfast meat.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything gross .. some people fry chicken liver that's about it
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Same here, and I hate both, lol!

• shenanigans_
    shenanigans_ Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything odd in BC, however, some might think poutine is strange.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I've never had grits. Someone said the texture is like Cream of Wheat. (Is that right?) Because i'd probably hate grits because I could never stomach Cream of Wheat. Also, wasn't Malt-o-
    Meal almost the same as Cream of Wheat?

*Gag*
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    breakfast in Honolulu..... pineapple pancakes ( and yes, they are low calorie and non-fat )

caption.jpg

I know, those are strawberries, not pineapple; it's the same concept.
    trust me on this one.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I live in a small area of the South where we put sugar in our grits. From the best I can tell, this seems to be isolated to Northern Georgia.

Are you a Georgia boy?? Is that the ***nga at the end of your id??
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Here in Maine, people eat pickled wrinkles (whelks). I don't, because I'm allergic to shellfish, but it's definitely a thing.
    Another delicacy I can't eat: the tomalley or tamale of a lobster (basically, its liver. It's green and nasty.)
    In some parts of Maine, we're close enough to Canada to get poutine (gravy cheese fries).
  • resale3108
    resale3108 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    dkauqv6sjosv.jpeg
    HAGGIS!! The food of Kings and Gods......and Scotsmen!!
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    I've never had grits. Someone said the texture is like Cream of Wheat. (Is that right?) Because i'd probably hate grits because I could never stomach Cream of Wheat. Also, wasn't Malt-o-

*Gag*

Pretty much, grits are slightly larger and not quite as small and soupy. Its just corn, nothing gross about them, but I get that textures of some things bother people.

Are you a Georgia boy?? Is that the ***nga at the end of your id??

Yes, born and raised.

One thing I always hated as a kid was butter and syrup with biscuits. Its just butter mashed up into pancake syrup and eaten with biscuits :s
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »

*Gag*

The texture of grits is what turns me off about it too. The taste is fine and I'll eat it, but it isn't my first choice of side dish.