Fasting? Anyone? Anyone?

Replies

• Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    The only fasting I do is when I haven't been regular. Just lots of water for a day or two to help things along :D
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm having a colonoscopy on Monday :sad: so have to fast all day Sunday. I am absolutely dreading it!!! This is not something I'd choose to do for no real reason.

The actual procedure does not worry me, it's the not eating thing that I'm going to struggle with.

I did a c-scope prep a couple months ago! I don't know what kind of meds they're going to flush you out with, but for me, it was actually not bad at all. I was on Ducolax and Pico-Salax for my prep and it wasn't terrible - I had plenty of 'warning' to get to the bathroom before the urge was too strong. Slept through the nights no problem as well. We have a bidet attachment and that helped a lot too LOL. This may be TMI - but coat your bumhole with a layer of vaseline during your prep, it'll make you way less sore.

Stock up on jello cups (just not red/purple/blue flavors), they help your stomach feel a bit more full during your fast.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    I'm having a colonoscopy on Monday :sad: so have to fast all day Sunday. I am absolutely dreading it!!! This is not something I'd choose to do for no real reason.

The actual procedure does not worry me, it's the not eating thing that I'm going to struggle with.

I did a c-scope prep a couple months ago! I don't know what kind of meds they're going to flush you out with, but for me, it was actually not bad at all. I was on Ducolax and Pico-Salax for my prep and it wasn't terrible - I had plenty of 'warning' to get to the bathroom before the urge was too strong. Slept through the nights no problem as well. We have a bidet attachment and that helped a lot too LOL. This may be TMI - but coat your bumhole with a layer of vaseline during your prep, it'll make you way less sore.

Stock up on jello cups (just not red/purple/blue flavors), they help your stomach feel a bit more full during your fast.

I have the picolax stocked up. I think I'm overly stressing, there are people all over the world who don't eat for days at a time and don't know where or when their next meal will come, and here I am stressing over a one off piddly day!!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member

I have the picolax stocked up. I think I'm overly stressing, there are people all over the world who don't eat for days at a time and don't know where or when their next meal will come, and here I am stressing over a one off piddly day!!

You'll be fine! :) Just don't watch any cooking shows LOL. Distract yourself with non-food-related stuff.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

You'll be fine! :) Just don't watch any cooking shows LOL. Distract yourself with non-food-related stuff.

LOL, definitely no food related shows! Thank you for the insight, much appreciated :flowerforyou:
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    For health and weight loss reasons - no.

For spiritual reasons - absolutely. However in these cases I was mostly meditating and breathing during the fast - I wasn't living a regular day to life of activity and decision making.
  • driefishin
    driefishin Posts: 238 Member
    Hi - I do 16/8 fasting - so u fast for 16 hours then eat your calorie allocation within the remaining 8 hour window. I guess this isn’t really fasting because I’m not going without my food - I’m simply eating it within a smaller window of time rather than spread out over a day. Since starting this 2 wks ago I have dropped 2/kilos which for me is a significant drop after a plateau lasting months - so it seems to have kick started my weight loss again. I’m 147 & want to lose another 14 lbs.

I have found 16/8 surprisingly easy to do (I eat from 1pm to 9pm - then fast from 9pm to 1pm the next day) & I seem to have less of an appetite. I manage up to 1pm each day with tea, coffee, & water & find it quite liberating not to have to bother with food in the mornings. It also removes your fear of being hungry & I now like to analyse it, embrace it & invariably it goes away & stops bothering you - so often by 1pm each day I’m not actually that hungry!

I may try to adopt this style of eating for the foreseeable future & even after reaching goal if I can as it seems to work for me.

Good luck with your weight loss journey xxx

I started basically the same diet about a week ago eating from 12pm to 8pm. I'm an evening eater and this leaves me plenty of calories to play with. My blood glucose is typically borderline when I have blood work done. Hoping this helps.(also cutting down on junk to help with that) . I've always been one of those people who eats every 3-4 hours. Yesterday, just to show myself that food doesnt have to control me, i went 23 hours without eating. Wasnt really that hard. Not something i'm going to do very often, but may throw that in a couple of times a month. I know some on here do "one meal a day", but just cant get my calories in with only one meal.
    Glad to hear you are having success on this lifestyle change. Hoping it works well for me too.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    I've been doing "intermittent" fasting for four month now and love it. Not the 5:2 kind but the kind that can be called "skipping breakfast." I don't eat anything after 6 in the evening until noon the next day. Black coffee in the morning is the only exception.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    I've done the occasional 24 hr fast. It's not as apocalyptic as people make it out to be.

Juice fasting is pointless and generally not a great idea, the Master Cleanse or anything claiming cleansing or detoxing properties is dumb.

A family member of mine on fb is doing this right now and is all about its "health benefits" :neutral:

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    now I hafta google "potato hacking"
  • driefishin
    driefishin Posts: 238 Member
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I'd die from a 24 hour fast. Or someone else would because I'd be too hangry

I did 23 hours yesterday. It really wasnt that bad. For me, it was more about challenging myself to prove that i wont die if i miss a meal, and that i dont have to eat all day. The only times i got hungry were at the times i typically eat, and even then the hunger only lasted for a bit, and then went away. I tend to overeat in the evening, so skipping food until noon allows me to move those calories until later in the day. Just started this but so far, so good.
  • gtm197
    gtm197 Posts: 58 Member
    park1e wrote: »
    I do IF 18:6 window along with Keto.

It has really helped me having a regimen to stick to and I like having big meals twice a day rather than 3 medium meals.

What works for me won't work for everyone but I'm down 60lbs and only 4lbs to go till my target weight.

I do IF also and my eating window varies, but it's typically 18:6 and sometimes it is 20:4, but without Keto. I do however watch my processed carb intake and increase my fat intake, but do not worry about staying less than 20 carbs per day. The IF alone reduces my insulin resistance and my belly fat is disappearing. There is a lot of great research on IF so those that discount it have not done their homework.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    I am so glad that I read this thread! I had never come across the 5:2 method and started it this week. It seems like something I can stick too. Lord knows the daily restriction is not working for me. Thanks all!