Fasting? Anyone? Anyone?

Options
13»

Replies

• mfz73
    mfz73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The longest I've gone was 2 1/2 days on a water fast and I wished I could've holded out longer to reach ketosis. The mind struggle is real, yo. If you can and want to do it then more power to you.
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I absolutely fast! Fasting is so good for the body when done properly. I do the 20:2, however I'm not on the keto diet just yet, I will in January.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I fast from around 10pm to 7am. Sometimes less. That's enough for me.

Mine is usually 8 PM till 5 am
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    mfz73 wrote: »
    The longest I've gone was 2 1/2 days on a water fast and I wished I could've holded out longer to reach ketosis. The mind struggle is real, yo. If you can and want to do it then more power to you.

You would've definitely been in a state of ketosis after 2.5 days of just consuming water.

From the Reddit Keto FAQ:
    How long will it take to reach ketosis?

Ketosis begins when liver glycogen is depleted, and the amount of glycogen in the liver only provides enough glucose for 12-16 hours. Thus, when you limit carbs to 20 net grams, it takes no longer than 24 hours to enter ketosis.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    now I hafta google "potato hacking"

Is this not it?

7sx51ti30s06.jpg

ETA: I don't think fasting for short periods is inherently harmful unless it triggers damaging behaviours. I attempted it for a bit as 5:2 but had no success due to my preferences.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    MaybeLed wrote: »
    whitpauly wrote: »
    now I hafta google "potato hacking"

Is this not it?

7sx51ti30s06.jpg

ETA: I don't think fasting for short periods is inherently harmful unless it triggers damaging behaviours. I attempted it for a bit as 5:2 but had no success due to my preferences.

LOL, I should have known better than to bring up potato hacking on anything other than a paleo MFP board...touché!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Isn't "potato hacking" just a trendy term for the monodiet that is just potatoes.

Weird if it's a paleo thing now, as some still claim potatoes are non paleo. I was familiar with it due to that Australian guy, and McDougall (Starch Solution), although I guess Richard Nikoley is into it.

I think it's pretty unsurprising that people naturally reduce calories on any monodiet (same principle with the meat only diets among others), although I don't think it's really a good eating plan. Seems better to just eat a sensible diet (in whatever eating pattern you prefer, including one that includes fasting).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I don't really think of a 20 hour (or 23 hour) fast as a fast -- you are eating every day, just eating once instead of 3 times (or 2 times or 5 or whatever). Sure, it's IF and an eating pattern and for some it may be a helpful way to help yourself keep a deficit. Similarly, I don't think a full day fast once in a while (or even weekly if that's your thing and you are otherwise eating at maintenance on other days) is a big deal, unless you are doing it to punish yourself for overeating or tend to binge and restrict patterns.

A 4-day or certainly an 11-day fast is very different. That I would suggest talking to a doctor first and being really careful about refeeding. (To be honest I think both are bad ideas as a way to diet when there are options that don't involve fasting that long available, but I'd be less worried if someone was doing it with medical supervision and figure not my business.)

This is one reason I think it's odd to conflate eating patterns with fasting and important when someone is asking about fasting to understand what they mean.