kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    9c2c6f37ceb77e2ca17247ee7546e953--birthday-wishes-birthday-cards.jpg
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    AnnofB wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be a joke question about eating on your birthday. To the joke question - yes, on your birthday, nothing has calories. It's a special gift.

:D I think we might be related. That was my take on this, even down to your reply to the "joke question."

Happy Birthday, ArmyWife! By the way, my birthday is in 2 days as well. I'm not saying how old I will be, but I can assure you I will be taking advantage of that special gift from the calorie gods.

:wink:

My birthday is December 31. I get free calories day AND fireworks. :smile:

Sunfastrose-It's good to be YOU!! And your parents- awfully lucky too. They got that tax deduction right before the champaign corks started flying. ;)
  • BBum69
    BBum69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    BBum69 wrote: »
    Hey guys, not sure if this question belongs here but it is worth a shot. I will be 29 in 2 days, I am also on maintance now (wooooooo), I was wondering if your allowed calories go down as you get older?

The difference in my BMR now at 43 vs 23 is an estimated 130ish calories...so in 20 years, my BMR has declined very slightly.

That's 130 kCal PER DAY! Or 47,450 kcal per year, 13.5 pounds of fat.

And?

And you act like 130 kCal per day is trivial, it isn't. Of course you can monitor your weight and adjust accordingly, that's what pretty much everyone on this site is trying to do. But those adjustments will include accounting for the 130 fewer calories per day spent on metabolism.
    As far as your personal TDEE being 3000 kCal at 43, so what, I'm 48 and my maintenance is 3400.

But this is the difference over 20 years, not from one day to the next. It's not as if you wake up one morning and your needs are 130 kcal lower than the day prior which could require some tweaking, but even still.... 130 kcal - a glass of wine, a small serving of ice cream, etc. make the adjustment, or add exercise, and move on.

If someone is just starting out at age 43 to try to lose weight, they should assess their current TDEE based on current stats, activity level, etc. trying to compare it to what they believed they consumed at age 23 (which is likely not going to be an accurate recollection) is not going to be very productive. There are a lot of things I did at age 23 which weren't particularly healthy or smart choices. It's far better to just focus on my current lifestyle and what my needs and priorities are, rather than comparing myself to the former college cheerleader whose diet to maintain 105 lbs was pretty much Zima and butter noodles.

And I'm not sure how someone who boasts of a maintenance of 3400 calories would find 130 calories over the course of 20 years to be particularly material to anything...

Because someone who boasts about a maintenance of 3000 (and thinks that is pretty active?) acts like we are talking about 130 calories over 20 years. We aren't. We are talking about a difference of 130 calories PER DAY, EVERY DAY, and getting larger.
    If you would have read any of the posts before you started pecking away, you might have noticed that I was only concerned about the difference in what that calculator will show from one year of age to the next. The 130 over 20 years crap came from you, and it shouldn't be relevant to the OP, but since you decided to introduce that figure, I was simply trying to point out to the forum in general, that it is not 130 over 20 years, or 130 for the year, but is in fact a much larger number than some people seem to think that it is. If you don't like your math to be questioned, don't write questionable numbers.
  • BBum69
    BBum69 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, not sure if this question belongs here but it is worth a shot. I will be 29 in 2 days, I am also on maintance now (wooooooo), I was wondering if your allowed calories go down as you get older?

The difference in my BMR now at 43 vs 23 is an estimated 130ish calories...so in 20 years, my BMR has declined very slightly.

And?

And you act like 130 kCal per day is trivial, it isn't. Of course you can monitor your weight and adjust accordingly, that's what pretty much everyone on this site is trying to do. But those adjustments will include accounting for the 130 fewer calories per day spent on metabolism.
    As far as your personal TDEE being 3000 kCal at 43, so what, I'm 48 and my maintenance is 3400.

But this is the difference over 20 years, not from one day to the next. It's not as if you wake up one morning and your needs are 130 kcal lower than the day prior which could require some tweaking, but even still.... 130 kcal - a glass of wine, a small serving of ice cream, etc. make the adjustment, or add exercise, and move on.

If someone is just starting out at age 43 to try to lose weight, they should assess their current TDEE based on current stats, activity level, etc. trying to compare it to what they believed they consumed at age 23 (which is likely not going to be an accurate recollection) is not going to be very productive. There are a lot of things I did at age 23 which weren't particularly healthy or smart choices. It's far better to just focus on my current lifestyle and what my needs and priorities are, rather than comparing myself to the former college cheerleader whose diet to maintain 105 lbs was pretty much Zima and butter noodles.

Please read the tenth comment of this thread.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options

And?

And I'm not sure how someone who boasts of a maintenance of 3400 calories would find 130 calories over the course of 20 years to be particularly material to anything...

Because someone who boasts about a maintenance of 3000 (and thinks that is pretty active?) acts like we are talking about 130 calories over 20 years. We aren't. We are talking about a difference of 130 calories PER DAY, EVERY DAY, and getting larger.
    If you would have read any of the posts before you started pecking away, you might have noticed that I was only concerned about the difference in what that calculator will show from one year of age to the next. The 130 over 20 years crap came from you, and it shouldn't be relevant to the OP, but since you decided to introduce that figure, I was simply trying to point out to the forum in general, that it is not 130 over 20 years, or 130 for the year, but is in fact a much larger number than some people seem to think that it is. If you don't like your math to be questioned, don't write questionable numbers.

I am confused.

Where are we getting 130 calories per day difference from one year to the next and growing bigger from.

Everyone else is saying difference is around 6 calories per day per year - so over 20 years difference of around 130 calories per day would be right.

Since nobody is accurate to within 6 calories anyway, I would just carry on each birthday and change nothing

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

And?

Please read the tenth comment of this thread.

The one in which you pointed out that the calorie requirements change by about 6 calories per year which is not a big deal?

So I'm confused why you are taking issue with cwolfman extrapolating that to roughly 130 cals over 20 years. Why is 6 cals/year negligible but the sum over 20 years a huge deal? As I mentioned, it's not as if nothing else changes in 20 years time, so trying to compare calorie intake to your lifestyle 20 years prior is a bit pointless.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

And?

130 per day doesn't seem trivial to me either.

The base matters. 130 is around 4.3% of 3000, probably within the range of estimating error for eating/exercise calories - no point in getting excited about it.

For a small woman with a TDEE more like 1500, it starts to be more meaningful . . . but IIRC it's still within the range of variation seen experimentally between fidgety people and nonfidgety people.

Even the theoretical 250 calorie TDEE difference for me now vs. age 20 ought to be (IMO) less "Caution! Caution!"/"Woe is me!" and more inspiration to stay strong and keep moving . . . as if we ought to need more motivation for that. ;) (Staying out of assisted living as long as possible is pretty motivating, in my world.)

130 may not be anything to get excited about but it is nothing to sneeze at either. It's more than double the amount of calories I was overeating (on average) by when I became overweight.
  • Armywife04_21
    Armywife04_21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well......this all escalated quickly O_O
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Bet you only thought you were asking if MFP was gonna drop your calorie allowance by a few, huh?
  • Armywife04_21
    Options
    Bet you only thought you were asking if MFP was gonna drop your calorie allowance by a few, huh?

Yes! Haha
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Well......this all escalated quickly O_O

Welcome to MFP forums! ;)
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    This is actually really useful info because today my calories were lowered on mfp by 20. I guess from losing weight. So right now it’s taking me from 1310 to 1290. Throw in a couple birthdays and my log will be like “looked at food today”
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

And?

It's like 6 calories per year....oh noes...not sure what you mean exactly by questioning my math either...I said 130 calories over the course of 20 years which comes out to about 6 calories lost per day per year...

I never claimed to be super active...I'd say I'm moderately active outside of my desk job...still not worrying about a measly 6 calories per year.

130 calories per day less now vs 20 years ago is pretty meaningless...when I was 23 I did landscape constructions, didn't own a car and biked or walked everywhere...I can't even compare total calorie requirements now vs then which is what matters...not this super myopic majoring in the minors concern about a handful of calories off my BMR now vs then...

People should concern themselves with staying active and being fit and eating right...worrying about a drop of 6 calories per year for BMR is some serious majoring in the minors. And really, as BMR goes I wouldn't be surprised if it is more or less a wash for me (I just used an estimate from a calculator). I have quite a bit more muscle mass now than I did 20 years ago...but again, all kinds of hand wringing over BMR seems pretty pointless to me.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 calories about a month ago and wasn't sure why, well I turned 26 in November so problem solved. Not many but enough to make me sad.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 calories about a month ago and wasn't sure why, well I turned 26 in November so problem solved. Not many but enough to make me sad.

did that also come in conjunction with a lower body weight? when we lose weight, our calorie requisites decrease unless it's offset by more activity.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

did that also come in conjunction with a lower body weight? when we lose weight, our calorie requisites decrease unless it's offset by more activity.

No I am maintaining/recomping
  • Armywife04_21
    Options
    This is actually really useful info because today my calories were lowered on mfp by 20. I guess from losing weight. So right now it’s taking me from 1310 to 1290. Throw in a couple birthdays and my log will be like “looked at food today”

“Looked at food today” made me chuckle lol

• Armywife04_21
    Options
    Well, I’m 29 today and no change in MFP calories :)