Anyone taking a break from watching calories this Christmas??

Options

Replies

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I always log even if it's just estimates just because I like to have data (even if it's not particularly accurate data).

I'll probably try to keep it around maintenance this year. I tend to over do it by a lot and then feel like crap and feeling like crap isn't fun no matter what time of year it is.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I didn't resist those deserts Saturday and they didn't survive to see Sunday. They weren't worth the trouble.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    jbvpn wrote: »
    Is anyone here taking a break from watching calories over the festive period?? :D

Yes, of course. Every Christmas. But I increase the amount of exercise I do.

To go into a little bit more detail here ...

I go onto a diet break from about mid-December until about mid-January each year. This means that I may or may not log what I eat ... just depends on how I feel. I will likely stay within my calories some of the days, but some of the days I'll probably go over a bit. But I'm not going to get all fussed when I do something like last night when I had 1 mince tart, 3 Lindt chocolate balls, and a very small piece of Halva throughout the evening ... instead of my usual toast and honey.

We've got our Christmas morning tea on Friday and I plan to have a bit of this and a bit of that. Whatever appeals to me. However, I won't have my usual morning snacks and I won't likely have my usual lunch. So I probably will go over, but it won't be a huge amount. Chances are we'll all leave work early, and I might go for a run or bicycle ride after work.

We've got Christmas dinner all lined up and I'm especially looking forward to the turkey, the steamed veggies and the selection of salads. :) Oh and the selection of Christmas desserts ... I will have some of that too. But I'm hoping we'll be able to go for a decent walk/hike or run or bicycle ride that day too.

During the week between Christmas and New Year's, I'm planning to do some Christmas baking ... and I'm planning to run and cycle up a storm since I have those days off.

I've done this for the past two Christmases, and came out the other side just fine. :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I will be away from 24th until the 2nd so no scales during that time. I'll log by guesstimate only and do my best to stay within maintenance calories but if I don't there will be no guilt. I'll pre-weigh a little bag of goodies for each day containing mixed seeds and nuts with dark chocolate because my day isn't complete without these. I am fortunate though that I really don't care much for sweet food anymore so temptations won't be as strong.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    I'm watching them, I'm just not worrying too much if they misbehave ;)

Me too.

• rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I will be away from 24th until the 2nd so no scales during that time.
    same here...I have 2 big christmasparties, christmas itself and new years eve..., so I wont bother logging. I'll however take a long walk or similar excercise on the days I have the time and hope I wont gain too many pounds :)
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    A holiday is a day just like any other day, so no.

Slippery slope for me. Make an excuse for X holiday, then I start making excuses for a birthday, a night out with friends, weekends, etc. No cheat days, no exceptions.

Life must be a bundle of laughs for you mind
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    No logging but no going totally mad.

Im going to enjoy myself for a few days, its tough going at times and for the holidays at least im going to not over think about it, some just need to chill a bit and understand it might actually do themselves good by going over the're target once a year.geez
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I'm not going to throw caution to the wind as I have an injury and cannot workout hardly at all. :(:(:(
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I'll adjust so I lose at a very slow pace for the next week and bank some calories
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm going to log. I'll be cooking so I can control the calories. I don't plan to overindulge. Butif I do I'll have a record of it.
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Im taking a break over Xmas. from the 24th to the 3rd I will be eating normally. I may be a little less greedy than normal - no xmas cake with icing etc.

I will try and log everything . Ill still weigh myself every day. I dont think it will be possible to log everything as i wont be in controll of the cooking any more.

I am happy to go on a break as im 2kg away from the target I set for myself when starting to diet. Ive lost 19kg.

After New year im going to start a new plan to get to the median BMI - and im confident i will b able to hit it by carrying on with my existing regimen.
  • dimaslopes
    dimaslopes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i will break from my cut as taking calories as i would be maintaining weight
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintainance and currently sit about 5lbs lower than the lowest weight on my range, so yes, I'll be taking a bit of a break from counting. But that doesn't mean I CAN overeat. All the restricting to lose the weight seems to have shrunk my stomach. I feel that a cookie here and there won't ruin things. I'll have much less tempation after the holidays. So, why not take a little break?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Winter bulk until end of January means I can eat up to 3000 cals per day every day. Nom!