Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Mid section

Any ideas how to get rid of my muffin top. I run 3 -5 miles a day 2-3 Times per week. I try to eat well, occasionally slip up. My butt and arms; legs all look toned. My tummy not so much :(

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Do you log and track your food? Are you in a calorie deficit? If not, get a food scale and start there.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2017
    Yeah, it takes losing weight. I used to have one mighty muffin ...lost 20+lbs and whaddya know, the muffin was history :smile: whilst exercise certainly helped me, I was a runner too (now into biking instead) and I lift weights, it was losing weight that sorted it because I got leaner.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You "try" to "eat well" and do a minimal amount of running a week. This is why you're not making any progress.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Buy pants and skirts that fit better?

A lot of the time, that muffin top happens when you're trying to squeeze into a size that doesn't actually fit. So the only place for the fat to go when you're squeezing into clothes a size or three too small is up, hence the muffin top.
    If the extra fat/flesh wasn't there you couldn't squeeze it anywhere.

When I was slim there wasn't anything to squeeze, it all arrived with my appetite.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

What others said, but I'd also recommend adding in resistance training.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited December 2017

A lot of the time, that muffin top happens when you're trying to squeeze into a size that doesn't actually fit. So the only place for the fat to go when you're squeezing into clothes a size or three too small is up, hence the muffin top.

When I was slim there wasn't anything to squeeze, it all arrived with my appetite.

That's very true. But, it's not an immediate fix. Buying clothes that actually fit is an immediate fix.

Plus, without knowing the OP's stats, it's possible that she's seeking this goal that she's causing with her clothes. Since you can't spot reduce, I'm not going to tell someone to try to get down to no fat. But I'm going to tell her to make sure her clothes fit, and aren't just the size that she *wants* to be.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member

That's very true. But, it's not an immediate fix. Buying clothes that actually fit is an immediate fix.

Plus, without knowing the OP's stats, it's possible that she's seeking this goal that she's causing with her clothes. Since you can't spot reduce, I'm not going to tell someone to try to get down to no fat. But I'm going to tell her to make sure her clothes fit, and aren't just the size that she *wants* to be.
    Ah, point taken.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member

Sometimes this is impossible though. I am an apple shape and a lot of jeans just aren't cut for me. If I get jeans to fit my waist they are supper saggy around my bum and thighs (Not a good look) this has got better through diet and strength training but some people will always have to contend with I'll fitting clothes.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    jesspen91 wrote: »

Sometimes this is impossible though. I am an apple shape and a lot of jeans just aren't cut for me. If I get jeans to fit my waist they are supper saggy around my bum and thighs (Not a good look) this has got better through diet and strength training but some people will always have to contend with I'll fitting clothes.

I'm an apple, too. I'd take looser fits in the thighs and bum over a muffin top any day.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    I think very few people are lucky enough to just buy pants that fit all over. If you can swing it, buy pants that fit the biggest part of you and have them tailored to fit everywhere else. It’s the only way I’ll be able to avoid baggy thigh/butt while simultaneously muffin topping.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,041 Member
    I'm an apple as well, and there ARE pants that fit, they just may not be where you usually shop. I find that jeans made by "western apparel" companies (such as Ariat) actually fit me GREAT - and look good too! They are form fitting in the right places, but don't squish my apple waist as bad as a lot of more "name brand" jeans do.

Other than that, it's just trimming down, but even when I was super fit and as trim (doing some modeling), as soon as I ate or drank much of anything, I'd have a little "pooch." Just the way my body is. So finding clothes that fit despite that really is key, but you may not find them at your usual stores.
  • Annadel
    Annadel Posts: 146 Member
    Thank you for the suggestions! I have been running 3-4 times last 2 weeks. Hopefully I get back in a routine!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Annadel wrote: »
    Thank you for the suggestions! I have been running 3-4 times last 2 weeks. Hopefully I get back in a routine!

Haven't you took on board what the others say? to lose the muffin or any fat is all about diet and being in calorie deficit - while running will help create a bit more deficit , unless you track your intake that muffin is going nowhere if you are eating too much.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Forget about the # on the scale, when you get to the right weight for you, the excess fat should be gone...Smart diet and training + paticence are going to get you there ;)