Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Normal Eating. Agree or Disagree?

Options
What is normal eating?

Written in 1983 by Ellyn Satter

Normal eating is going to the table hungry and eating until you are satisfied.

It is being able to choose food you enjoy and eat it and truly get enough of it – not just stop eating because you think you should.

Normal eating is being able to give some thought to your food selection so you get nutritious food, but not being so wary and restrictive that you miss out on enjoyable food.

Normal eating is giving yourself permission to eat sometimes because you are happy, sad or bored, or just because it feels good.

Normal eating is mostly three meals a day, or four or five, or it can be choosing to munch along the way.

It is leaving some cookies on the plate because you know you can have some again tomorrow, or it is eating more now because they taste so wonderful.

Normal eating is overeating at times, feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. And it can be undereating at times and wishing you had more.

Normal eating is trusting your body to make up for your mistakes in eating. Normal eating takes up some of your time and attention, but keeps its place as only one important area of your life.

In short, normal eating is flexible. It varies in response to your hunger, your schedule, your proximity to food and your feelings.

(https://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/how-to-eat/adult-eating-and-weight/)

Replies

• Magnum_Opus
    Magnum_Opus Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I would have to agree. However factor in physique goals and you're somewhat forced to stray from this pure version of eating if you will. That said there's a goldilocks zone where both circles intersect. For me that's having knowledge of calories & macros but eyeballing your food and using hunger, satiety, fullness and gym performace as your markers. That is If you wish to adopt a more holistic approach to things as apposed to weighing, tracking etc.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I can agree because it is, and always has been, my general approach to eating, without thinking about it.

Cheers, h.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad I think the idea is that when you get to a place where you trust your body, when you get to a place where you eat without placing undue thought/worry on it, when you get to a place without actual or mental restrictions around food, you aren't going to want to eat plates of cookies every day forever. Maybe at first, especially if you have a history of restriction, and this is actually useful in letting yourself truly come to see you're not going to be restricted in the future, but once you get to that sweet spot, it's unlikely to continue that way. Sure, maybe it will for some people, and then it's up to them to determine what's going on. This is coming from someone who has a huge sweet tooth. I eat chocolate multiple times a day - every day. I used to binge. A lot. Now I've given myself full permission to eat without restrictions, and I don't want to eat all the sweets available to me every time they're available because I know they'll be there.

@Magnum_Opus True enough. Goals may shape a person's decisions about food. I think, however, the further away eating gets from the third point and the last two points on the list, the less normal and more controlled it becomes. Sound's like you've found a sweet spot though.

@kommodevaran I think Satter's real end goal is for people to trust their bodies such that they don't need a tracker or arbitrary numbers to dictate how much or what they should or shouldn't eat. If you've been cycling between feeling restrictive and virtuous to feeling out of control and defeated for a long time, it's going to take time to reach that point of trust. I think it's possible for most people to get there though.

@pineapple_jojo In this case, I believe normal means eating without undue preoccupation, eating what you want when you want, and moving through life without constantly thinking about food.

@Packerjohn I believe most people can learn.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    @distinctlybeautiful I would love to not be preoccupied with food. I don’t think I’ll ever have a normal relationship with it, sadly!
  • Magnum_Opus
    Options
    Normal is as normal does. What is normal?

I think that is kind of the point, normal is what we make of it. Its different for different people and at different times.

Very true. As humans we crave permanence. Nothing is permanent. Everything is ever changing including our diets so it seems.
  • Magnum_Opus
    Options
    @distinctlybeautiful I would love to not be preoccupied with food. I don’t think I’ll ever have a normal relationship with it, sadly!

Why do you feel you are preoccupied with food?

Also don't be so hard on yourself.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    How is that preoccupation? Do you feel it's weighing you down? I think one of the deeply rooted problems people have with food - and Satter addresses this too - is that they don't think enough about food. Obsessed but at the same time careless. That is "normal" - usual, but not healthy, and brought on by fear which leads to apathy. I've been there, I know how it feels, and it's not nice. But it can change, given then right impulses at the right moments. I'm preoccupied with food, and I love it. I feel like I have a great relationship with food now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I would agree that this is what normal eating should be. But I'm not sure this way of eating is normal anymore.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    "Normal" is subjective and changes. "What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."

That being said, the above description in the OP is perfectly "normal" for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How is that preoccupation? Do you feel it's weighing you down? I think one of the deeply rooted problems people have with food - and Satter addresses this too - is that they don't think enough about food. Obsessed but at the same time careless. That is "normal" - usual, but not healthy, and brought on by fear which leads to apathy. I've been there, I know how it feels, and it's not nice. But it can change, given then right impulses at the right moments. I'm preoccupied with food, and I love it. I feel like I have a great relationship with food now.

This rings true for me too.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options

@Packerjohn I believe most people can learn [to feel satisfied].

Not sure how I feel about this.
    MAYBE people can learn but how would they? I really struggle with the "full" signal, but I'm not sure if that's due to nature or nurture.

Part of it may come from being an immigrant, where cleaning one's plate wasn't optional. Did my parents teach me to overeat because in Russia eating everything on your plate wasn't overeating but rather frugal? Or does my body just not send the full signal? How can you tell the difference if you don't know what you're looking for?

I think original post IS "normal eating" but I don't think that it's attainable for everyone. I think that it's normal for people who were raised to pay attention to how they were feeling about food, for whom leaving something on the plate was an option, and who maybe haven't gone without.

But I'm not sure that you can "learn" at an older age. I'd be happy to hear otherwise.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Written in 1983, before we had such a large amount of sugar and sodium added to our foods, before so many things on our table were processed the way they are now. Food itself isn't the same as it was in 1983.

I was 11 in 1983. We would routinely have hot dogs, Rice-a-roni, tater tots, canned sweet baked beans, Banquet frozen dinners, and fish sticks for dinner. I would have Oscar Meyer bologna and a slice of Kraft American cheese on a bun for lunch with a Hostess Cupcake for dessert. I loved to have Aunt Jemma frozen french toast with margarine for breakfast on the weekends. There was plenty of processed foods. And as an afterthought, I was a string bean until I was in my late 20's.

As far as the OP, I would say what is listed there is what "should" be normal, but I don't think it is normal right for a lot of people. For me in particular, that is normal for me when I'm doing well. When emotional/bored eating kicks in, it's a different story! If I gave myself permission to eat what I wanted when I was sad or bored, I would be overweight. But yes, it sounds to me like what I aspire too. :)

Edited to add: Just realized this post makes it sound like we ate like complete crap when I was a kid, lol! We ate whole foods too