When to purge older larger size clothes??

Options

Replies

• sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a No Buy year where I don't buy anything non-consumable unless it is a need, not a want. So no new clothes unless I don't have any that don't fit or the old ones are worn out/can't be worn. The only way for me to get any new clothes this year and keep my goal of No Buy is to lose so much weight the old clothes don't fit. I love thrifting for new clothes soooo. . .yeah. It's great motivation for my diet!

As to when I get rid of things that are too large, I do it right then unless the item is something I really, really like. I'm a thrift shopper and where I live clothes run about $7 to $.99 an item, with an average price of about $3.50, at the thrifts, so even if I'm wearing all Department store and upscale brands I haven't invested a lot of money in them. If I lose weight and buy new clothes, I cast off the things that don't fit because I know I won't want to wear those things if I gain weight again.

The only exception to this is in my hiking and running clothes. The styles for those change slower than other styles and I have certain cuts of shirts and pants that I like, and I'm most comfortable in things that are technically too big when I'm out by myself, so I will keep things two or three sizes too big for me. (When I'm hiking with a group or traveling on a hiking adventure I "dress up" in clothes that aren't worn and do fit, LOL.)

Me too. I hate the feeling of baggy clothes and love to shop at Goodwill. I buy things one size down and put them in a special drawer until I can wear them. Then I shop for the next size down.

I'm bagging up some nice things because 1) they were new or almost new when I bought them and 2) I only wore them a few times. No way I would do that with $100 jeans, but for $3.99 a pair, I can always have clothes that fit.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping one size up, but anything more than that I've been donating. I'm comfortably fitting into 14 size jeans, so the 18s all made their way into my Goodwill box.

I've been having a hard time finding work clothing at secondhand stores, so that's been more of a struggle than I thought it would be. I've found lots of jeans and T-shirts, but I need dress clothing for work. I bought two new pairs of dress pants and I'm just doing laundry more often to compensate, haha. I don't want to break the budget with new clothes if they're not going to fit in a few months anyways!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Men's clothing is generally cheaper than women's (for reasons that I don't understand), which should make things easier. But, the styles don't change all that much, which makes it even more tempting to keep stuff forever!

I try to turn my clothing over at a reasonable rate. I like what @richardgavel said about keeping a set amount of clothing in total, replacing items rather than adding more.

Still, my weight band is about 5lbs, and some pants that fit well at the bottom are a bit snug at the top. I try to accommodate that in my collection of sizes.

Really old clothes (2yrs+) should go, particularly if they don't fit. Maybe I should start writing a date on them!
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i have 3 different waist sizes listed on my ebay at the moment--- i waited a year before listing any but now i list when i drop 2 sizes- admittedly i started at 62" waist and am currently at 46" - i know many probably won't have that many sizes to drop... but my focus is on lifestyle change so hopefully won't need the bigger sizes again.... plus you can fit so many more items in the same wardrobe space as your size shrinks!! :)
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I got rid of them as I went along, either giving to charity (goodwill), selling on eBay or giving to friends/family. I bought most of my clothes second hand as I was losing and still do now I can reliably buy something in my size and know it will fit.
    Went from size (US) 16 to size 6
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    mikeb4bjj wrote: »
    When Hernan Cortes came to Mexico, he met initially with a lot of success. But trouble followed, and many of his men started grumbling about going back to Spain. Cortez burned the ship. They would either succeed, or die.

Throw out or donate your fat clothes. Sink or swim.

Wow. Cortes sounds like a grade A jerk to me.

No comment on keeping/discarding clothes from me, I can’t figure it out for myself.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Personally, I'd get rid of all but one or two items so that you can look at them when you need to see your progress. I kept one pair of my old pants and gave everything else away.

This, pretty much. I’ve kept two favourite dresses and a couple other hard-to-find items for comparison and Just In Case, but everything else got ditched as soon as I could. Now I like taking old clothes to the charity shop, it’s a sign of another step closer to the ultimate goal.
  • saltisalt
    saltisalt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep all the clothes for sewing projects!

That's what I tell myself anyway. I also have all my kid's clothes. And a bunch of my SO's old work duds. Material scavenged off retired carseats (make waterproof sports sacs), Army uniforms, and boxes of designer shoes I can't fit into after 3 pregnancies. Hmmm... I may need professional help.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    saltisalt wrote: »

That's what I tell myself anyway. I also have all my kid's clothes. And a bunch of my SO's old work duds. Material scavenged off retired carseats (make waterproof sports sacs), Army uniforms, and boxes of designer shoes I can't fit into after 3 pregnancies. Hmmm... I may need professional help.
    saltisalt wrote: »

So...how big is your fabric stash?

He or she who dies with the most fabric wins right? :p