Goals for 2018?

Replies

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Perform a handstand, bridge, pistol squat, 1 arm chin and 1 arm press up.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Okiludy wrote: »
    billkansas wrote: »
    What program are you on? Hitting 1100 lbs (in 7 months?) at any age- that's fantastic.

I used Starting Strength. I tried to do 4-day split but I still have better results on a 3-day full body. For last few months, I've been doing an HLM weekly progression program that is heavier in intensity and low-ish in volume. Old body doesn't like too much volume but responds to intensity very well.

I eat 200g+ of protein a day and sleep 8 hours every day. I think the fact I just never miss a day, leave it all in the gym every time, and make sure to recover help. I also seem to be able to do deadlifts and squat pretty good for training age. My bench sucks but I get 900 from those 2 lifts. Oh and milk the newbie linear gains as long as possible. Even if only a 1-2lbs increase every session. Weekly progression sucks and I loathe to think what monthly progression will feel like.

Thank you for say as much by the way. I bust my *kitten* in the gym and it's nice to hear anything good.

Clearly, I need to eat and rest better then to get to 1000 lbs myself (my protein intake and sleep is poor compared to you). I'm a Starting Strength guy also however struggling as an intermediate. Sadly, progression ended for me in the middle of this year and I've made no measurable strength gains since. My two cents: continually pushing intensity is a dangerous game. I am running "the Bridge" which offers basically more volume at lower intensity which I think is right for me for now.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Lots of deadlifting goals for 2018... super cool and not what I expected.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    1) Maintain current bodyweight
    2) Avoid injury
    3) Get stronger on main lifts (squats, presses, pulls)
  • doubleap77
    doubleap77 Posts: 47 Member
    1. Gain to 170 by the end of March.
    2. Improve my form and reduce chances of injury on various lifts.
    3. Work on stability and mobility exercises to complement heavy lifts.
    4. Look rather studly by swimsuit season.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Bench 500 lbs weighing 250 lbs
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Deadlift 265 pounds.
    Finally, hopefully, maybe get good squat form.
    OHP 100 pounds.
    Look stunning at my Boyfriend’s graduation ceremony this summer :)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2017
    For me, it's pretty simple stuff. I've maintained (55 lbs lost) over 4 years now. I'd like to clean up my macros a bit. Also, have more fun with training in general. I've been focused (uh, obsessed) with doing a sub 7 2K Concept2 Indoor rowing time. I'm stuck at a plateau currently. Plus, at 53, I'm not sure that doing better than I have in the last 2 years is going to happen.

I'm going to buy a computer to add in a rowing software program to race others online (I have a rowing studio I just set up in my basement). This will help with the grind of rowing training.

Just bought a Airdyne Pro to add to my home gym. I also can't lift super heavy as I have a structurally challenged right knee but I want to try the 10K KB swings in 30 days after my rowing race season is over in February. That might be a bit aggressive (for me), so it might be a modified version of this plan (perhaps something like 5K swings in 30 days).

Have more fun with cross training and not be so obsessed with one thing that I stop enjoying the process of getting more and more fit. I kind of lost sight of the forest through the trees for a while. Even though I'm not at risk of gaining the weight back, I'm not having as much fun these days. That's critical to me.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    1) Maintain current bodyweight
    2) Avoid injury
    3) Get stronger on main lifts (squats, presses, pulls)

Same here but I have no interest in getting any stronger.

Already stronger than 95-99% of the men my age (67) and weight (158), depending on the lift involved, based on the Strength Level database.

Trying to get stronger would just increase the risk of injury for diminishing returns of no more than 5-10% which are of no practical benefit to me.

Just want to stay as strong and fit as I am.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    Qualify for 2019 Nationals as a Master 2 lifter.

Chip away my current overall state record.

Take all three individual lift state records would be icing.

• Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    1. Complete my first Marathon in March.
    2. Complete my third Ragnar Relay.. times were pretty decent for first two, but can always be faster.
    3. Continue to gain strength with a progressive training program. I've shaved over two minutes off my one miler... and over three mins off my 5K since first beginning to run in 10/2016. I credit it all to weight training, running hills and plyometric exercises. Ladies on my team are now taking weights much more seriously!!
  • 99JT
    99JT Posts: 59 Member
    Set a goal for a 405 deadlift last week when I was at 375. My last rep for 2017 405. I know I'm horrible at setting goals.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    A series of related goals
    1. Become more serious - really started Strength training in late summer.
    2. 1000 lbs club as M1 in competition
    3. Hit regional standard- 504kg
    4. Hit national standard - 545kg
    5. Do above at 93kg vs 105kg class - this one is a maybe as I believe when I achieve bf level I want it I’ll be 91-92kg.
    6. Run a 30 minute 5k
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    1000 lbs total on the "big three" by my 52nd birthday (mid May).
    LOL I originally wanted to hit it by January 1st (tomorrow) but that was apparently a little too ambitious and didn't account for a couple of bouts of tendonitis and the month I spent revelling in my 8.1% Dexa in the summer and strutting around showing off my abs.
    I came up short by 45 lbs... Time to get serious again.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Okay, I'm amending my original goal of "get swole" to something a little more measurable.

200# squat
    250# dead
    135# bench
    105-115# OHP (not sure about this one)
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    100kg back squat, 150kg deadlift and fit into my wedding dress!
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    edited January 2018
    Start up deadlifting again after injury and Reset squat mentally >butt to grass. That would be nice.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    edited January 2018
    300 pound deadlift
    Address my shoulder problem and do what I have to do to fix it
    Do mobility at least 5x week
    Get proficient at pistols