These holidays! OMG

Options
Every where I go there's sweets and everything else I should not be eating. How is everyone coping with this. Me? Not so well.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Should not? why not?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is anything that I "shouldn't" be eating (not sure what medical issues you may be dealing with though). When I encounter holiday foods I want to eat, I just make room for them within my calorie goal. If I can't make room for it comfortably then I will just turn it down.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I usually eat treats like chocolate, cookies, pretzels within my calorie goal every day anyway, so now they are just more festive and there's more peppermint involved.

There is nothing wrong with eating treats as long as they don't crowd out nutritious foods and fit in your calorie goal. I second the tips to pre-log and to consciously choose treats that are worth the calories.

I have also always switched to maintenance calories around major holidays where food is a central part of the celebration. It might have delayed me getting to goal by a week, but ultimately I knew I would be playing around with this balancing act for the rest of my life, so one week here and there was no big deal as long as it didn't get out of hand.

Good luck!

My personal concession to the holidays is that I relax a bit about meeting my nutritional goals for a week or two. Like one day last weekend, I had a big piece of fruitcake for lunch. I was still at my calorie goal for the day, but wound up being pretty low in protein overall. Like you said, for a week here or there where I'm a bit off is acceptable for me.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the heat of the moment I just think to myself how I feel after I give in and eat the stuff vs. how I feel when I stay strong and don't eat the stuff. I'm like a food-aholic and have a real problem stopping at one donut or whatever. Then I feel bad physically from eating too much and mentally from thinking I messed up/failed. When I pass on all the garbage I feel great physically and mentally.

With that in mind, I'm better able to pass on all of the "goodies." Go eat a few baby carrots instead. :wink:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I usually eat treats like chocolate, cookies, pretzels within my calorie goal every day anyway, so now they are just more festive and there's more peppermint involved.

There is nothing wrong with eating treats as long as they don't crowd out nutritious foods and fit in your calorie goal. I second the tips to pre-log and to consciously choose treats that are worth the calories.

I have also always switched to maintenance calories around major holidays where food is a central part of the celebration. It might have delayed me getting to goal by a week, but ultimately I knew I would be playing around with this balancing act for the rest of my life, so one week here and there was no big deal as long as it didn't get out of hand.

Good luck!

My personal concession to the holidays is that I relax a bit about meeting my nutritional goals for a week or two. Like one day last weekend, I had a big piece of fruitcake for lunch. I was still at my calorie goal for the day, but wound up being pretty low in protein overall. Like you said, for a week here or there where I'm a bit off is acceptable for me.

Oh yeah, I meant that part generally - treats are fine as long as they don't crowd out nutritious food. But do I use 70% of my maintenance calories on New Year's Eve on beer, cake, and fried cheese? Mmmm hmmm.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I really don't have a problem with stuff that comes into the office and whatnot...a lot of it is commercial baked goods which are never worth it IMO. Beyond that, it would seem that only a handful of people can bake well...I had a ginger bread cookie the other day at work and it was as hard as a hockey puck...just spit it out and through it away. I also have a thing about not knowing the kitchen conditions of colleagues and strangers.

I also have a very narrow range of type of cookie and whatnot that I actually like...pretty much ginger bread, biscochitos, and fudge...but they all have to be done well or they aren't worth the bother.

For the most part, the holiday season is pretty much business as usual save for the actual holidays themselves. We usually host or attend one or two holiday parties as well...but it's pretty normal for us to host or attend social gatherings with friends and/or family once or twice per month throughout the year.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My goal for December is to maintain. There are too many unplanned variables with eating to guarantee my deficit every week, so I keep it tight on the food I can control and enjoy myself a bit with the stuff I can't and just don't worry about it. I don't have a ton of social engagements throughout the month, but the ones I do have are often not cooked by me and very decadent, so I choose to enjoy them for what they are.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything that isn't worth the delicious points (aka calories), like WalMart cookies, etc.

This is my big thing, but I'm also not even trying to stay within my calories right now. I usually put on a bit in December and lose a bit in January.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Temptation is the price we pay for easy access. When I stopped thinking I "shouldn't" have this and that, it stopped having power over me. (It doesn't happen overnight, it's an ongoing process.)