Options

Replies

• elliemae1981
    elliemae1981 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    xhunter561 wrote: »
    Stop trying to justify undereating.

It's not healthy.

Had doctors tell me the same thing. But I always felt like crap after eating what they reccomend. I end up more tired and end up constantly in the bathroom. Eliminating fat is the only thing that helps uc and if eliminating fat also means less calories and I don't feel sick and weak then it's worth the low calories to feel normal. I occasionally eat something with more fat but I end up feeling sick. This is more than for weight-loss, it's to control a major health condition. I just know what my body can physically tolerate.

Then you need to let your doctor know you are starving yourself.

Stopped going to the doctor, they were doing nothing for me. Expensive meds and diets I couldn't tolerate. Making me even more sick causing me to get dizzy and fall causing injuries. When I'm not busy I eat 1,100 to 1,200. I don't mind eating 500 in one meal, but one item being that high in calories bothers me. It actually had more fat than I allow in my diet and have been to the bathroom several times today. So its been a big mistake all because I was in a hurry not to be late for work.

eat what is best for you but I mainly want to say make sure your eating nutrition dense foods on any day under 900. watch you macros and vitamins. if you can handle fruits well have some every so often, if you eat meats go for the organ meats like liver and kidneys, if veggies try spinach or kale in place of lettuce, ect. as for doctors you don't need to be talking to normal doctors about nutrition sense they don't get training in nutrition but it would be advised if your not overly knowledgeable with nutrition to talk to a nutritional expert but look around for one if you are having health problems it might be as simple as your missing something in your diet or eating something that isn't very good for your particular body. nutritionist can run tests that normal doctors have no particular knowledge about and they have ex. with working with people and seeing what affects their clients good or bad. But above all listen to your body because it's going to naturally want more or less each day if you don't meet all its need in one go. If you do loss to much fat its as simple as upping your carbs or fats to put a little padding back on before going back to what helps you work the best. PS. if your not used to eating fats never eat a high amount at once or those bathroom trips add up. slowly work in healthy fats but balance them with your primary energy source (carbs). good luck!

I'm eating more than the 700 calorie sandwich. I bought that and had an early lunch. I'm having salad and either steak or chicken for dinner. Going to the grocery when I get done with some work stuff. That isn't all I'm eating. Just upset and was flabbergasted that one chicken sandwich had 770 calories in it. I can eat a variety of foods in one meal for 550 calories and it's healthier. Just my healthy early in the day meals I had planned went south.
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    xhunter561 wrote: »

It's not healthy.

Had doctors tell me the same thing. But I always felt like crap after eating what they reccomend. I end up more tired and end up constantly in the bathroom. Eliminating fat is the only thing that helps uc and if eliminating fat also means less calories and I don't feel sick and weak then it's worth the low calories to feel normal. I occasionally eat something with more fat but I end up feeling sick. This is more than for weight-loss, it's to control a major health condition. I just know what my body can physically tolerate.

Stopped going to the doctor, they were doing nothing for me. Expensive meds and diets I couldn't tolerate. Making me even more sick causing me to get dizzy and fall causing injuries. When I'm not busy I eat 1,100 to 1,200. I don't mind eating 500 in one meal, but one item being that high in calories bothers me. It actually had more fat than I allow in my diet and have been to the bathroom several times today. So its been a big mistake all because I was in a hurry not to be late for work.

eat what is best for you but I mainly want to say make sure your eating nutrition dense foods on any day under 900. watch you macros and vitamins. if you can handle fruits well have some every so often, if you eat meats go for the organ meats like liver and kidneys, if veggies try spinach or kale in place of lettuce, ect. as for doctors you don't need to be talking to normal doctors about nutrition sense they don't get training in nutrition but it would be advised if your not overly knowledgeable with nutrition to talk to a nutritional expert but look around for one if you are having health problems it might be as simple as your missing something in your diet or eating something that isn't very good for your particular body. nutritionist can run tests that normal doctors have no particular knowledge about and they have ex. with working with people and seeing what affects their clients good or bad. But above all listen to your body because it's going to naturally want more or less each day if you don't meet all its need in one go. If you do loss to much fat its as simple as upping your carbs or fats to put a little padding back on before going back to what helps you work the best. PS. if your not used to eating fats never eat a high amount at once or those bathroom trips add up. slowly work in healthy fats but balance them with your primary energy source (carbs). good luck!

I'm eating more than the 700 calorie sandwich. I bought that and had an early lunch. I'm having salad and either steak or chicken for dinner. Going to the grocery when I get done with some work stuff. That isn't all I'm eating. Just upset and was flabbergasted that one chicken sandwich had 770 calories in it. I can eat a variety of foods in one meal for 550 calories and it's healthier. Just my healthy early in the day meals I had planned went south.

then don't worry about it stuff happens its just a learning curve. your going to have those moments so take heart its nothing to feel ashamed of. it's certainly not important enough to get upset over or worth the happens you give up to get flabbergasted over. life is full of those little moments. if your going off calories it doesn't overly matter when you eat them, morning or night depending on your choice, its that you just reach that goal within the 24 hour clock. but don't let anyone tell your worth less than anything or anyone else chances are its those people reflecting their insecurity.
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am not going to touch on the calorie intake thing, but would like to remind you that you can also workout to burn calories. If I overeat, I just throw an extra walk or two in, an extra session of kickboxing or weights, to help me feel better mentally. But as many have already said, overeating here and there is not going to ruin all of your progress. You can still succeed even if you slip up here and there. Don't beat yourself up! Easier said than done, I know (truly - I do know), but you need to be more kind and patient with yourself, your body, and your progress.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

It's not healthy.

If you continue to eat under 1200 we cannot give you advice apart from eat more because vlcd are against mfp guidines and cannot be discussed or encouraged.

And by the way mfp states 1,000-1,200 for women and 1,200-1,500 for men so according to mfp I'm not in danger. Get your facts in check

MFP doesn't provide calorie goals of below 1,200 for women. If you're getting a goal below that, there is a bug somewhere. It's understandable that it may be confusing you, but 1,200 is generally regarded as the lowest most women can go and still consistently meet your nutritional needs. People can go lower than that safety in some circumstances with medical supervision, but you've already stated that isn't what is going on here.

I understand this can be an emotional topic, but people are thinking of what is best for you.

I'm not anorexic. I do eat. I like food just can't tolerate a large amount due to my ulcerative colitis. Eating 1,000-1,200 helps keep the painful flares under control, if I don't keep them under control I end up being in severe pain and unable to eat anything. Sometimes I eat a little more than that but not too often. It's a horrible illness ulcerative colitis, many people suffer with it. I've tried doctors but they have been no help, only making my issues with the disease worse. The low fat is to help with this illness. And it has helped me so much. It's better than living in the bathroom or curled up in pain.

Eating doesn't mean that you're not anorexic. (I mean, at your weight, you're not anorexic anyway -- I'd say atypical, but you don't meet the weight criteria for AN.) High restriction is totally a thing in eating disorders. Some research indicates that most ANs eat about 900 calories a day, when you factor in binges. You're not that far from that.

You're trying to get down to a weight that is nearly underweight. You don't want to go above 1,000, even though your physicians thought you could do more, and it's very uncommon to have *medical* providers recommend 1,000 calories a day.

Justify all you want, but it doesn't mean you're dieting in a healthy manner.
  • elliemae1981
    elliemae1981 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Calories for today were 1,305. I had steak at Denny's. Had to do some shopping with my mom for Christmas day so no time to cook. I planned on cooking steak anyway tonight but just decided to eat out. Too late to cook and wore out from shopping.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    We do not recommend women consume fewer than 1200 calories per day, or men fewer than 1500 calories per day. Eating too little can produce negative health effects.
    from https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women.
    from https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

The facts as far as MFP goes is that 1,200 is the minimum recommended calories stated in more than one place. I could not find what you stated as MFP minimums. Where have you seen MFP state 1,000-1,200 for women and 1,200-1,500 for men are the minimums?

I think it's the pop up warning when you try to close out your diary with less than 1000 calories logged.

I just tried closing my diary with 1,161 calories logged using the MFP app on my kindle fire and the message I got said I was undereating and putting myself at risk and should eat a minimum of 1200 calories. It did not say 1,000-1,200 for women and 1,200-1,500 for men are the minimums they recommend. So far it does not seem to be the case that MFP is saying 1,000 calories is their minimum recommendation though. I have not tried closing my diary on the web site or the app on my phone which may give a different message.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    We do not recommend women consume fewer than 1200 calories per day, or men fewer than 1500 calories per day. Eating too little can produce negative health effects.
    from https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women.
    from https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

The facts as far as MFP goes is that 1,200 is the minimum recommended calories stated in more than one place. I could not find what you stated as MFP minimums. Where have you seen MFP state 1,000-1,200 for women and 1,200-1,500 for men are the minimums?

I think it's the pop up warning when you try to close out your diary with less than 1000 calories logged.

I just tried closing my diary with 1,161 calories logged using the MFP app on my kindle fire and the message I got said I was undereating and putting myself at risk and should eat a minimum of 1200 calories. It did not say 1,000-1,200 for women and 1,200-1,500 for men are the minimums they recommend. So far it does not seem to be the case that MFP is saying 1,000 calories is their minimum recommendation though. I have not tried closing my diary on the web site or the app on my phone which may give a different message.

Interesting. I haven't tried closing it out under count for a long time. I know that was what used to pop up some time ago (maybe last year). Either way, I know for myself to get a sufficient micro and macro balance, I need about 1500 calories per day. I'm sure I could do it on less, but I like having a treat once in a while.