Should couples workout together?

Options

Replies

• Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend drives me insane in the gym. I mean I have no problem running with him, playing soccer, hiking, climbing -- but when it comes to weight lifting he pushes my buttons because his form is not usually right and he doesn't care to make it perfect which just pisses me off more. So I opt to leave whatever area he's in and workout on my own.
  • nhouse3417
    nhouse3417 Posts: 105
    Options
    I have worked out with my husband once and I would definately do it again. We have kids so someone has to be home with them. When the opportunity presents itself we definately go together. We arent side by side but he helps me learn the equipment I have been wanting to try and too scared to figure out on my own. Plus the afterward............... as mentioned..... :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My husband and I run at different times, mainly because someone has to be home with the kids. But once we get my son up and riding his bike, we do intend to run together. We've done some core exercises and ran a 5K race together and enjoyed it. We plan on doing more races together because we pace each other and motivate each other really well.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Lifting with hubs is awesome. He's can spot me, and I get to check out his form. *wink*

Cardio, not so much. We have one treadmill. Kinda hard to use it together. Unless you're into that sorta thing.
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I love my husband to death but I would not want him to workout with me at the gym, I am pretty sure he would drive me insane and try to take over and tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing and that would not work. Helping out is one thing but I am fairly sure that he would try to act like my personal trainer and that is what the people that work there are there for. The gym is my stress free push myself to the brink time and I enjoy doing it with no husband or kids. We do however go hiking together and things like that on the weekend and we very much enjoy that together. Some couples may love to do it together and I say more power to them if they enjoy it. There are couples at our gym that workout together sometimes.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    We bike together some but he's way better than I am. I wouldn't want to lift with him. Pretty sure he's a bro-science-know-it-all when it comes to lifting and I actually know what I'm doing.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    We do it all the time.
  • VixenArgentum
    VixenArgentum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i would love to work out with my husband. Sadly we only own one piece of exercise equipment, so we have to share. But one day we'll get his and hers ellipticals....just gotta get the PhD finished first.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think it would be awesome, BUT there would have to be an understanding that while one of us is lifting, the other is spotting/watching/correcting form, etc. If the guy is my boyfriend or husband, that means I find him ridiculously sexy already. And watching a sexy man pushing and pulling a crap ton of weight while I'm trying to lift would just be too much. Guys always think I'm joking when I say that, but I'm totally serious. I can't do it.
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Of course... who else is going to be my spotter? :D
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I love it! Its totally sexy! plus my husband pushes me over my limits makes me break those plateaus!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! My husband & I go every morning together and he's my trainer! And it IS a huge turn on!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Couples in general? Sure, if they want to. There's a very sweet older couple at my gym who do molasses-slow walking laps in the pool three times a week, they look like they're having fun.

The couple that comes into my gym and he "instructs" her with terrible form and she sings out loud along with her iPod and both of them get out EVERY DAMN WEIGHT - plates and dumbbells - and leave them lying all over the place, no. They should not be allowed out of the house until they learn to behave in civilized society.
  • AshleyM71
    AshleyM71 Posts: 3,029 Member
    Options
    No way! Time alone is essential. Space is good. Lol
  • fatboymax1
    Options
    Bump
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I am thankful to workout with my partner as the few friends I have don't workout at all. The squat rack at my gym does not have safety bars :noway:, she is my spotter.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The only reason I wish my BF would workout with me is because he could spot me so I wouldn't have to ask a random guy or use the darn smith.

Aside from that, the gym is my sanctuary and I enjoy being alone, it's my ''me'' time
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    His and her deadlift bars

1y7q2_zpsa8964c6e.gif

You are mistaken- that is her warm up weight she's lifting now and she's just got another set ready to go so she does not have to waste time racking in between. :wink:
  • Tinyfigure
    Tinyfigure Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Oh, they definitely should... ????

Wait, you mean in the gym? Well, if they fancy that..
  • jaxelrad22
    jaxelrad22 Posts: 118
    Options
    Absolutely <3