Keto diet, perform less

Options

Replies

• GnosisGnosis
    Options

Feeling full has nothing to do with what I have said, though. If you are in a proper caloric deficit, ketosis holds no advantages, and at first, as we all know, weight drastically drops due to water being flushed out your system. Weight loss does not mean fat loss.

Feeling full is an exponential advantage, dude. Alot of peoples biggest issues with losing weight is mental, not physical. One type of caloric deficit keeps you feeling full, and one keeps you feeling hungry - Which one is more advantageous for those people who are mentally anguished if their bellies aren't full? Obviously, you and I have no problems maintaining a caloric deficit on moderate-high carb, but many people do, and find that low carb is more beneficial for them in that way. Denying this advantage is irresponsible if you're trying to help people.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

Feeling full has nothing to do with what I have said, though. If you are in a proper caloric deficit, ketosis holds no advantages, and at first, as we all know, weight drastically drops due to water being flushed out your system. Weight loss does not mean fat loss.

Feeling full is an exponential advantage, dude. Alot of peoples biggest issues with losing weight is mental, not physical. One type of caloric deficit keeps you feeling full, and one keeps you feeling hungry - Which one is more advantageous for those people who are mentally anguished if their bellies aren't full? Obviously, you and I have no problems maintaining a caloric deficit on moderate-high carb, but many people do, and find that high carb is more beneficial for them in that way. Denying this advantage is irresponsible if you're trying to help people.

But I'm talking, strictly weight loss - no one mentioned being full. I know we are not disagreeing here, but myself after being heavily overweight, didn't remove carbs from my diet, and all I said was, ketosis has no advantage of fat loss over a normal diet, which it does not. People go on ketosis because they think it does, agree or not?
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options

But I'm talking, strictly weight loss - no one mentioned being full. I know we are not disagreeing here, but myself after being heavily overweight, didn't remove carbs from my diet, and all I said was, ketosis has no advantage of fat loss over a normal diet, which it does not. People go on ketosis because they think it does, agree or not?

I'm inclined to agree, but honestly, there is so much conflicting information out there that I'm not willing to take either side.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For me to feel good doing Keto I need to have my carbs around 25g. But that is just me personally. I find it hard to control myself with carbs, I just want more and more! Even just fruit and veggies. Which is why I enjoy keto as after a while the cravings go away. But I just can't sustain that kind of diet for too long so go back to eating carbs lol. But every now and again I'll do another month of keto just so I don't have to deal with carb cravings for a while.

With regards to working out, after the first few days I didn't have any problem doing my workout routines but I am only at the gym 3-4 times a week. Usually for about an hour, 30 mins of weights and then 30 mins of cardio. I did some long walks (up to around 15 miles) during Keto with no problems. But this was pretty much the higest intensity I tried. I have heard that Keto may not be as good for fueling very intense workouts but I don't know what kind of studies have been done on it.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    So, for some it works when they increase the carbs, for others when decreasing it. I guess that I have to figure out myself. But when you got only 5% carbs a day, how about vegetables? What do you eat a day?
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    So, for some it works when they increase the carbs, for others when decreasing it. I guess that I have to figure out myself. But when you got only 5% carbs a day, how about vegetables? What do you eat a day?
    Lettuce, cucumber, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower.

EDIT: yes, I count carbs from veggies, too.
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think it is a case of "different strokes for different folks". When i was dieting I first simply lowered my calories, and I was hungry all the time and had low energy. When i tried lowering the carbs and increasing the fat I felt less hungry, and more energy, and was not as cranky.

But that's just me.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are in ketosis? Because you are eating fairly low carb but not as low as many in ketosis, you may not be burning fat efficiently while also not getting much energy from carbs. I'm not an expert in this area, but just a thought.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Are you sure you are in ketosis? Because you are eating fairly low carb but not as low as many in ketosis, you may not be burning fat efficiently while also not getting much energy from carbs. I'm not an expert in this area, but just a thought.

I have the impression I am hopping in and out at the moment to be honest. I just made a new calculation

1633 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    22 g Carbohydrates (5%)
    102 g Protein (25%)
    126 g Fat (70%)

Let's see if this works better!
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    On ketogenic diet any high intensity, endurance running, or heavy lifting exervise that would normally require Carbs will be a bit of a challenge.

keto flu can last from 1~4 Weeks and during that time your body strength will be weaker. Once the flu pass you should get a rush of energy (the body will enter survival mode)

When I first did keto I was benching 65 lbs dumbbells, git weaker the next 2 Weeks barely able to out up 50lbs... Once the keto flu past I strenth went through the roof! Now benching 90lbs dumbbells...
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options

I have the impression I am hopping in and out at the moment to be honest. I just made a new calculation

22 g Carbohydrates (5%)
    102 g Protein (25%)
    126 g Fat (70%)

That's close to my macros. Dont forget you shoulf be calculating net Carbs, not just Carbs.

Net Carbs = total Carbs - fiber.

Fiber dont count on keto. You just poop it lol..
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I'm currently eating a salad with bleu cheese dressing, bleu cheese crumbles, roasted chicken thighs, and some roasted broccoli. I didn't eat breakfast this morning, but had a couple Tbsp of macadamia nut butter. Pepperoni and cream cheese is also a frequent snack for me.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

22 g Carbohydrates (5%)
    102 g Protein (25%)
    126 g Fat (70%)

That's close to my macros. Dont forget you shoulf be calculating net Carbs, not just Carbs.

Lol. I will keep that in mind!
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

I'm currently eating a salad with bleu cheese dressing, bleu cheese crumbles, roasted chicken thighs, and some roasted broccoli. I didn't eat breakfast this morning, but had a couple Tbsp of macadamia nut butter. Pepperoni and cream cheese is also a frequent snack for me.

Owwww your salad sounds good! I put blue cheese on the grocery list immediately!
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Here's where MFP confuses me when I'm trying to count net carbs:

Your Daily Goal 1,677 112 147 20 32 18
    Calories Fat Protein Carbs Sugar Fiber

So my daily goal for this day was 20g carbs, but 32g sugar and 18g fiber? Can somebody explain, please?
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure how MFP does it, because I don't log much. In general, total carbs should equal starches + sugars + fiber.

Total carbs - fiber should be what you count as carbs. I'd ignore sugar "goals", because on keto, the goal is "minimal".
  • sue12252000
    sue12252000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Seriously?? As a health professional, I have to say that this 'diet' is about as unhealthy as you can get. Putting your body into Ketosis is not a state you want to be in. Very damaging to the kidneys. I realize that this and the Paleo Diet are just another rung in the huge ladder of diet fads promising quick weight loss and 'permanent health and wellness,' but did you ever research the authors of these programs? Have you ever researched the long-term health effects?? I think not, otherwise you would not be eating this way.

No wonder you are having issues with your work-outs. And wait until your hair starts thinning and the gallstones appear (one of the main causes of these painful little stones is HIGH FAT diet). Why not just eat a healthy, BALANCED diet and monitor your portions? You may not lose quickly but you will lose. And guess what? You will be able to sustain that loss because all you would be doing is eating less of everything. I'm losing average of 1 lb. a week. I'm not starving, *****y, or miserable. My workouts are not fatiguing. Doesn't even feel like I'm dieting. I've made a few tweaks here and there but nothing drastic. Try it...you'll be alot happier. And healthier.

Good luck <3
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

Here's where MFP confuses me when I'm trying to count net carbs:

Your Daily Goal 1,677 112 147 20 32 18
    Calories Fat Protein Carbs Sugar Fiber

So my daily goal for this day was 20g carbs, but 32g sugar and 18g fiber? Can somebody explain, please?

I have been listening to a webinar from Justin Lord (Health & Fitness coach), who told one should take fast sugar (dextro for example) right after workout, to recover quicker, etc. Maybe that can be a reason?

http://www.onlinemeetingnow.com/seminar/?id=b43a83a12e
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    Seriously?? As a health professional, I have to say that this 'diet' is about as unhealthy as you can get. Putting your body into Ketosis is not a state you want to be in. Very damaging to the kidneys. I realize that this and the Paleo Diet are just another rung in the huge ladder of diet fads promising quick weight loss and 'permanent health and wellness,' but did you ever research the authors of these programs? Have you ever researched the long-term health effects?? I think not, otherwise you would not be eating this way.

No wonder you are having issues with your work-outs. And wait until your hair starts thinning and the gallstones appear (one of the main causes of these painful little stones is HIGH FAT diet). Why not just eat a healthy, BALANCED diet and monitor your portions? You may not lose quickly but you will lose. And guess what? You will be able to sustain that loss because all you would be doing is eating less of everything. I'm losing average of 1 lb. a week. I'm not starving, *****y, or miserable. My workouts are not fatiguing. Doesn't even feel like I'm dieting. I've made a few tweaks here and there but nothing drastic. Try it...you'll be alot happier. And healthier.

Good luck <3

As a health professional, you should pay attention to the science:
    "In the largest published series on carbohydrate-restricted diets, ketosis was not typically symptomatic..."

"Although there is certainly no evidence from which to conclude that extreme restriction of dietary carbohydrate is harmless, I was surprised to find that there is similarly little evidence to conclude that extreme restriction of carbohydrate is harmful. In fact, the consequential breakdown of fat as a result of carbohydrate restriction may be beneficial in the treatment of obesity..."

Both: Westman, EC (2002). "Is dietary carbohydrate essential for human nutrition?". The American journal of clinical nutrition 75 (5): 951–3; author reply 953–4. PMID 11976176.

Also, many doctors (who are also medical professionals) disagree with you. What you have works for you, and low carb people do work for them. No science exists to prove that either is harmful.
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

Good luck <3

I have tried Gillan Mckeith, zero result
    I have tried vegan, I gained and felt misserable
    I have tried keto before, I never gained everything back

Besides my goal is set to 0.5 kg (1 lb) a week, I am not out to loose weight as quick as possible, because I know myself all too well that doesn't work + I didn't ask if this diet was healthy or not (opinions will differ, I think gluten is bad and don't preach about it either) I asked how to improve it, so I can perform better!