Replies

• Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Maybe mixed up with ketoacidosis?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Seriously?? As a health professional, I have to say that this 'diet' is about as unhealthy as you can get. Putting your body into Ketosis is not a state you want to be in. Very damaging to the kidneys. I realize that this and the Paleo Diet are just another rung in the huge ladder of diet fads promising quick weight loss and 'permanent health and wellness,' but did you ever research the authors of these programs? Have you ever researched the long-term health effects?? I think not, otherwise you would not be eating this way.

No wonder you are having issues with your work-outs. And wait until your hair starts thinning and the gallstones appear (one of the main causes of these painful little stones is HIGH FAT diet). Why not just eat a healthy, BALANCED diet and monitor your portions? You may not lose quickly but you will lose. And guess what? You will be able to sustain that loss because all you would be doing is eating less of everything. I'm losing average of 1 lb. a week. I'm not starving, *****y, or miserable. My workouts are not fatiguing. Doesn't even feel like I'm dieting. I've made a few tweaks here and there but nothing drastic. Try it...you'll be alot happier. And healthier.

Good luck <3

How is ketosis, with moderate protein intake, damaging to the kidneys?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Net Carbs = total Carbs - fiber.

Fiber dont count on keto. You just poop it lol..

Here's where MFP confuses me when I'm trying to count net carbs:

Your Daily Goal 1,677 112 147 20 32 18
    Calories Fat Protein Carbs Sugar Fiber

So my daily goal for this day was 20g carbs, but 32g sugar and 18g fiber? Can somebody explain, please?

I have been listening to a webinar from Justin Lord (Health & Fitness coach), who told one should take fast sugar (dextro for example) right after workout, to recover quicker, etc. Maybe that can be a reason?

http://www.onlinemeetingnow.com/seminar/?id=b43a83a12e

Given you are already on a very minimal amount of carbohydrates I certainly wouldn't bother "spending" any of them on something like dextrose.

Then again, I think you're making a mistake by reducing carbohydrates further especially considering that your issue isn't fat loss at this point, it's fatigue.

You'd really be best off making a slight reduction in other macronutrients and making a little bump in carbohydrates from your original macronutrient intake, keeping calories constant. See where that lands you as far as overall energy levels, monitor bodyweight and repeat if needed.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Ketosis has no fat loss advantages to a normal caloric deficit.

I have tried a lot of diets, also normal Paleo but this seems to be the only diet which works for me.

It's possible your carbohydrates are still too high.

She's expressing problems with overall energy levels that could very well be glycogen mediated. Reducing carbohydrates is going to make her problem worse.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I have tried a lot of diets, also normal Paleo but this seems to be the only diet which works for me.

She's expressing problems with overall energy levels that could very well be glycogen mediated. Reducing carbohydrates is going to make her problem worse.

Unless she's low-carb, non-ketotic. That could correspond to low energy, and be mitigated by lower carbohydrates. Either way, really, could help.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Unless she's low-carb, non-ketotic. That could correspond to low energy, and be mitigated by lower carbohydrates. Either way, really, could help.

I disagree entirely.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I disagree entirely.

Well, I disagree with your disagreement.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I am on a keto diet for about 4 weeks now and I have noticed I can't perform less then like I used to. When I go for a walk in the hills for example, I notice my legs feel heavy and naggy quite rapidly. Does anyone recognize this and does anyone know what to do about it? This is my food intake:

1586 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    40 g Carbohydrates (10%)
    90 g Protein (23%)
    118 g Fat (67%)

Thanks in advance!

Mina.

If I were in your position I'd adjust your macros as follows for the following week and monitor both bodyweight changes and training performance. At some point if you are unable to perform, your dietary intake can become counterproductive just looking at thermogenesis of training (in other words if all of your workouts suck then you should probably adjust macronutrients and/or total energy intake and hopefully recoup those calories through more functional/productive training).

I'd do this for the following week:

60g CHO
    90p
    108f

This should be roughly the same total energy intake (within 10 cals) but those 20g carbs will probably be noticeable. I'd consider adjusting it further but I'd START with the above.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Seriously?? As a health professional, I have to say that this 'diet' is about as unhealthy as you can get.

Are you one of those "do as I say, not as I do" health professionals? Cause I'm on Paleo/Primal low carb for years now and at my heaviest I was 125lbs at 5'3, whereas I see your goal is to lose 60lbs. I don't mean to be rude here, just honestly puzzled why people who apparently didn't really care much about their diet for quite a while suddenly wake up and are so quick to judge and ridicule every other approach as a fad.

Also, I don't have any problems with my workouts, which are mostly high intensity. I just did the Insanity FitTest day one today and scored pretty high, considering that some moves were entirely new to me (pushup jacks or globe jumps -- I needed a moment to figure out what I'm supposed to do). My resting HR is still pretty high at 61, but it was 65 six months ago. During workouts my HR goes up slowly, drops down fast. All that on no more than 20g of net carbs a day. I'm happy and I don't feel I'm on any diet, cause it's been a lifestyle to me for so long I don't really imagine doing things any other way.

Live and let live. No two people are the same, and there are no solutions are bulletproof for everybody. I found out that my body loves low carb by trial and error, I used to listen to professionals telling me how I should stuff my mouth with whole grains and flush 'em down with milk, and all I have to say to them is: you eat it yourself.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What is your BMR? You might not be eating enough calories period. Legs feel sluggish while running, hiking or walking when 1 or 2 things happen. 1) You are not drinking enough water. 2) Your blood sugar levels are severly dropping. Or a combination of both. From the very little research I have done, the only benefit to this diet is that it helps epileptics have less severe seizures that occur less often (and under medical guidance of course). I try to eat around the Zone for my macros - 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein, and have been successfully dropping a pound a week. However, I also realize different things work for different people.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Seriously?? As a health professional, I have to say that this 'diet' is about as unhealthy as you can get. Putting your body into Ketosis is not a state you want to be in. Very damaging to the kidneys

What are you basing that off of and additionally do you believe this is a function of protein intake or a function of low carbohydrates, specifically?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i think you need more carbs. thats just me tho... I LOVE CARBS! :)
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

I disagree entirely.

Would you mind elaborating on what about this you disagree with?
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    What is your BMR? You might not be eating enough calories period. Legs feel sluggish while running, hiking or walking when 1 or 2 things happen. 1) You are not drinking enough water. 2) Your blood sugar levels are severly dropping. Or a combination of both. From the very little research I have done, the only benefit to this diet is that it helps epileptics have less severe seizures that occur less often (and under medical guidance of course). I try to eat around the Zone for my macros - 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein, and have been successfully dropping a pound a week. However, I also realize different things work for different people.

My BMR is just above 1500 and my intake is around 1500-1600 kal a day.

The rest of the discussion I will follow a bit in silence, but I can always try to increase or decrease carbs and see how it goes.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The rest of the discussion I will follow a bit in silence, but I can always try to increase or decrease carbs and see how it goes.
    Read on carb cycling, you'll find some good advices on http://www.t-nation.com
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    It are mainly the legs with hiking, climbing, etc. Further I have noticed I am less bloated, even my face looks better, sacks under the eyes are gone, hamster cheeks gone, skin less dry, hair more ferm and stopped falling out. So at least there are some good things going on for sure! I also don't feel so tired over the day anymore, it's just that the performing became way less.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading Carb Nite Solution. Although I don't follow it faithfully, he gives you food for though (no pun intended). That and it's an easy read :)
  • sue12252000
    sue12252000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Seriously?? As a health professional, I have to say that this 'diet' is about as unhealthy as you can get.

Are you one of those "do as I say, not as I do" health professionals? Cause I'm on Paleo/Primal low carb for years now and at my heaviest I was 125lbs at 5'3, whereas I see your goal is to lose 60lbs. I don't mean to be rude here, just honestly puzzled why people who apparently didn't really care much about their diet for quite a while suddenly wake up and are so quick to judge and ridicule every other approach as a fad.

Also, I don't have any problems with my workouts, which are mostly high intensity. I just did the Insanity FitTest day one today and scored pretty high, considering that some moves were entirely new to me (pushup jacks or globe jumps -- I needed a moment to figure out what I'm supposed to do). My resting HR is still pretty high at 61, but it was 65 six months ago. During workouts my HR goes up slowly, drops down fast. All that on no more than 20g of net carbs a day. I'm happy and I don't feel I'm on any diet, cause it's been a lifestyle to me for so long I don't really imagine doing things any other way.

Live and let live. No two people are the same, and there are no solutions are bulletproof for everybody. I found out that my body loves low carb by trial and error, I used to listen to professionals telling me how I should stuff my mouth with whole grains and flush 'em down with milk, and all I have to say to them is: you eat it yourself.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I disagree entirely.

Would you mind elaborating on what about this you disagree with?

1) I think it's likely she's already in a ketosis.
    2) Regardless of whether or not she's in ketosis her energy levels are in the tank and it's been 4 weeks on the diet. Increasing carbohydrate is significantly more likely to contribute to improving her energy levels than reducing carbohydrates.
    3) Increasing energy levels could potentially benefit fat loss through additional activity thermogenesis.
    4) Adding carbohydrate and reducing fat may accomplish 3).