Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

metric vs imperial

System
System Posts: 1,917 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: The unreal weight.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Whether in stone or lb it's difficult to imagine anyone being alive at that weight. How old are you?

You do realize there's this thing called the "metric system", which is used in 95% of the world, right? And that measures in that system are in kilograms rather than pounds? :D

Outside of the U.S., the only other countries still using Imperial measurements are Liberia and Myanmar.

Most of us of a certain age still use lbs in the uk....I say pah to metric.

Interesting, I didn't realize that. I've lived in the US my entire life, never even been to another continent outside North America. I still have to do Imperial to Metric conversions in my head or use a converter app, and when somebody says they weigh 83 kilos or their height is 2.8 meters/280 centimeters or it's 14C degrees outside, it doesn't have any context to me until I convert it to Imperial units. But if somebody says their weight is 62, or 13.7, I pretty quickly key on to the fact that they're probably talking kilograms or stone.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Whether in stone or lb it's difficult to imagine anyone being alive at that weight. How old are you?

You do realize there's this thing called the "metric system", which is used in 95% of the world, right? And that measures in that system are in kilograms rather than pounds? :D

Outside of the U.S., the only other countries still using Imperial measurements are Liberia and Myanmar.

It's also known as the "British Imperial" system and was used by many countries in the former empire, still is in a few places.

But to the OP, what everyone has said is correct. Your weight will always fluctuate by a few pounds/kilos for many reasons, including water retention, bowel movements, high sodium food, hormones etc. So you will never have one "real weight" but a range you maintain in.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    edited December 2017

Canada too.

Edit: actually Canada is half and half. We use pounds but not miles, and we don't use Fahrenheit.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member

Canada too.

Not officially.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited December 2017
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

I was told in grade school in the 1970s that the US was going to be completely metric within 10 years and either learn it or become obsolete. 40 years later, metric measurement use is so rare in my day to day life in the US that I honestly can't recall a time besides running (5k, 10k), using a socket set, and occasionally measuring food on MFP where knowing what the metric equivalent to an Imperial measurement would have made any difference in my life whatsoever.

That has absolutely no relevance to the fact that 95% of the world deals in metric...

What is irrelevant is doing something that others do for the sake of doing something that others do.

o_0

I'd call that ignorance, not irrelevance. Just because it's not specifically relevant in a person's day to day life doesn't mean that it's not better that a person is aware that it exists and is widely used elsewhere.

Anyone in the US who didn't learn that the metric system exists in kindergarten should sue their school district for negligence.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Canada too.

Edit: actually Canada is half and half. We use pounds but not miles, and we don't use Fahrenheit.

Canada officially uses metric. It's just been more challenging for those of us in school while the switch happened.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    OP, you have a weight range, not an exact weight. It's going to fluctuate from day to day and hour by hour.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Canadian, here. Thanks to an influx of US cable TV, books, etc., I'm pretty decent at going back and forth between metric and imperial. I tend to think in terms of pounds when buying fruits and vegetables or weighing myself, weigh my portions in grams, translate Celsius temps into Fahrenheit when talking to my American friends, auto-convert miles to kilometers, etc.