Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

metric vs imperial

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    BTW people - 1 calorie is 4.2 kilojoules, 2.2 pounds in one kilogram. Not that *kitten* hard.

Not to mention that no one has said that one needs to be able to convert to metric, the expectation was simply that one knows it exists.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Y'know, I usually do convert from kilojoules to calories and from kg to lbs on the forums, but I think I'm going to stop. If people want to think I have a ludicrously high TDEE of 9000-10,000 calories or that I only weigh 60 lbs, that's on them.

It's pretty damn obvious when people are using metric as opposed to imperial, and pretty damn obnoxious to say it's not easily understood.

I grew up with all sorts of weights and measures, I was that generation that had shops stop selling in pounds and switch to grams and kilograms. I'm a seamstress who prefers to measure a human and ready made clothing in inches but pattern cut in centimetres for better accuracy.

In the UK, as seen here, we use stones and pounds for human weight for some reason. I real hangover from our imperial past! So I understand that, I use pounds for ease but can also work in kilos. I cook in grams and litres but recognise what a pint of milk or beer looks like.

I guess I am incredibly literate when it comes to these things (although my weak spot is weighing food in ounces, I for reals have no frame of reference for that) and I can quickly work out what a poster is getting at if they don't offer up the measure abbreviation.

Oh, but kilojoules, you can keep those, don't get it and think it's just too many numbers!*

*tongue firmly in cheek but also king of serious.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    SteamPug wrote: »
    Why don’t you guys start your own discussion instead of hijacking the OP’s thread with unhelpful debate between yourselves?

Thanks. I'm done.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Whether in stone or lb it's difficult to imagine anyone being alive at that weight. How old are you?

You do realize there's this thing called the "metric system", which is used in 95% of the world, right? And that measures in that system are in kilograms rather than pounds? :D

Outside of the U.S., the only other countries still using Imperial measurements are Liberia and Myanmar.

I was told in grade school in the 1970s that the US was going to be completely metric within 10 years and either learn it or become obsolete. 40 years later, metric measurement use is so rare in my day to day life in the US that I honestly can't recall a time besides running (5k, 10k), using a socket set, and occasionally measuring food on MFP where knowing what the metric equivalent to an Imperial measurement would have made any difference in my life whatsoever.

That has absolutely no relevance to the fact that 95% of the world deals in metric...

What is irrelevant is doing something that others do for the sake of doing something that others do.

o_0

I'd call that ignorance, not irrelevance. Just because it's not specifically relevant in a person's day to day life doesn't mean that it's not better that a person is aware that it exists and is widely used elsewhere.

Anyone in the US who didn't learn that the metric system exists in kindergarten should sue their school district for negligence.

There are school districts in the US that don't teach cursive and letter writing. Think about that.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Canadian, here. Thanks to an influx of US cable TV, books, etc., I'm pretty decent at going back and forth between metric and imperial. I tend to think in terms of pounds when buying fruits and vegetables or weighing myself, weigh my portions in grams, translate Celsius temps into Fahrenheit when talking to my American friends, auto-convert miles to kilometers, etc.

My father was in the US military. He insisted we learn metric conversions. I'm rusty, but I know weight and distance. Horrible on temperature.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Canadian, here. Thanks to an influx of US cable TV, books, etc., I'm pretty decent at going back and forth between metric and imperial. I tend to think in terms of pounds when buying fruits and vegetables or weighing myself, weigh my portions in grams, translate Celsius temps into Fahrenheit when talking to my American friends, auto-convert miles to kilometers, etc.

My father was in the US military. He insisted we learn metric conversions. I'm rusty, but I know weight and distance. Horrible on temperature.

I don't generally work it out to the decimal if I don't have to, but I can figure out the temperature on the spectrum between, "Carry a bottle or two of water if you're walking more than a couple of blocks," and "Wear extra socks and a balaclava with the winter coat; it's going to be like Siberia out there" under both systems.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Whether in stone or lb it's difficult to imagine anyone being alive at that weight. How old are you?

You do realize there's this thing called the "metric system", which is used in 95% of the world, right? And that measures in that system are in kilograms rather than pounds? :D

Outside of the U.S., the only other countries still using Imperial measurements are Liberia and Myanmar.

I was told in grade school in the 1970s that the US was going to be completely metric within 10 years and either learn it or become obsolete. 40 years later, metric measurement use is so rare in my day to day life in the US that I honestly can't recall a time besides running (5k, 10k), using a socket set, and occasionally measuring food on MFP where knowing what the metric equivalent to an Imperial measurement would have made any difference in my life whatsoever.

That has absolutely no relevance to the fact that 95% of the world deals in metric...

What is irrelevant is doing something that others do for the sake of doing something that others do.

Nobody said you have to do it, it's about realising that the vast majority of the world uses metric, not everyone on MFP is from the US, and therefore not automatically assuming that a poster is using the imperial system for weight.

Well, this IS a US site, for which there are rules such as writing in English, etc.

Before I went to a Spanish speaking country, I learned enough Spanish to get by. If I were participating on a non-US forum, I'd brush up on the conventions for that country.

But then, I'm the sort of person who reads the stickies too.

It's a US based international site. Considering it specifically gives the option to track in metric, the idea that posters on the forum should convert to imperial is ludicrous.

Look, if someone wants help, it behooves them to ask for it in such a way that will be understood. If they pose their question in such a way that the majority of the potential helpers don't understand them, they're not going to get as good help as if they did frame the question in such a way that effective communication occurred.

Many of my coworkers are ESL and I am sympathetic to that at work and on forums. When I'm answering a question about weight that was framed in stones, I'll convert it and say something along the lines of "in case anyone else was wondering."

Along these lines, I also get really irritated when my native English coworkers use text-speak abbreviations when typing to our ESL freelancers.

The point is, not knowing the metric system exists isn't because it's a novelty. It's simple ignorance. 95% of the world uses it. Ignorance needs to be corrected, not catered for.

No one doesn't know the metric system exists. He just didn't recognize "wight is 73" as a reference to kilograms, which is perfectly understandable.

What else would it be? OP is exceptionally unlikely to be 73 lbs.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member

o_0

I'd call that ignorance, not irrelevance. Just because it's not specifically relevant in a person's day to day life doesn't mean that it's not better that a person is aware that it exists and is widely used elsewhere.

Anyone in the US who didn't learn that the metric system exists in kindergarten should sue their school district for negligence.

There are school districts in the US that don't teach cursive and letter writing. Think about that.

...but do teach the ridiculous Common Core math methodology - like I said, negligence, lol
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    edited December 2017
    I am English, because I'm old, I think in pounds and stones but I accept metric because I also accept that it's a more accurate way of measuring and weighing. I also accept that the US use only lbs. I'm don't know if you have any names for very heavy weights - tonnes for instance? I also have no idea what measurements the US uses.

One thing that really confuses me is a block. How many feet is there in a block please?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I am English, because I'm old, I think in pounds and stones but I accept metric because I also accept that it's a more accurate way of measuring and weighing. I also accept that the US use only lbs. I'm don't know if you have any names for very heavy weights - tonnes for instance? I also have no idea what measurements the US uses.

One thing that really confuses me is a block. How many feet is there in a block please?

www.convertunits.com offers three different regional U.S. conversions of "block" to other common units of distance. Generally, towns developed organically with smaller blocks in the Eastern U.S. and as population development moved west during the age of the automobile the towns organically developed with larger blocks. A block being the observed distance between two intersections along a street.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I also think block comes from American cities being newer and built on a grid system. So a series of blocks. Hence using it as a reference.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Generally, either metric or Imperial is equally acceptable to me, even though very little in my everyday life in the US is measured using the metric system. It takes about 20 seconds for me to search the conversion value on the internet on electronic devices that I nearly always have access to, so it isn't exactly a large burden.

The practical metric knowledge that I have was from the military ("klicks" for land navigation, meters for weapons firing distances, ammo measured in millimeters, etc., it is good to be on the same sheet of music as NATO allies) and then later for translating fitness things (a 5k run is about 3.1 miles, an ounce of protein powder is roughly 28 grams, or that I currently weigh around 79 kgs)