Apple cider vinegar

Options
What are your thoughts? Anyone taking this daily? Has it helped in overall health, weight loss, etc?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It isn't going to do anything for weight loss or overall health (although some people have reported it helps manage specific conditions like acid reflux).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This weight loss myth has been around since the 1970's at least. It didn't work then either.

Be careful if you decide to "take this daily".....it's very hard on tooth enamel.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Does nothing for weight loss
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    CissyGB - Look at the menu items above your post. On the right you'll see Search. If you click on it and search for "apple cider vinegar", you'll find many many threads started about this topic. My grandmother believed in this back in the 1960s - and it was no more effective for weight loss then than it is now. If it were, you wouldn't have all these fad diets and programs like Weight Watchers and Nutrisystems; people would just buy a bottle of vinegar.
  • TenderBlender667
    TenderBlender667 Posts: 78 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Based on personal experience, apple cider vinegar did nothing for my health or weight loss. The one time I tried it as an "acid reflux remedy," the heartburn became 10x worse.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Based on personal experience, apple cider vinegar did nothing for my health or weight loss. The one time I tried it as an "acid reflux remedy," the heartburn became 10x worse.

Some of us have high stomach acid (raises hand) - for us ACV makes reflux much worse. But I had a co-worker who drank lemonade with her meals because she suffered from LOW stomach acid.

There have been zero scientific studies re: ACV as a gout remedy. It would have been nice though, as I have 2 brothers who suffer from it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

Some of us have high stomach acid (raises hand) - for us ACV makes reflux much worse. But I had a co-worker who drank lemonade with her meals because she suffered from LOW stomach acid.

There have been zero scientific studies re: ACV as a gout remedy. It would have been nice though, as I have 2 brothers who suffer from it.

I've got many personal data points where it helped. Lots of others claim the same.

Here is a study on preventing obesity in rats: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27209492

This article (https://www.healthline.com/health/gout/apple-cider-vinegar#modal-close) has a lot of references that say it may help with cancer prevention, diabetes, and the one above. It did not support help with gout.

We're not rats.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    CissyGB wrote: »
    What are your thoughts? Anyone taking this daily? Has it helped in overall health, weight loss, etc?

No, it doesn't generically help with health or cause weight loss. Some have specific issues where it might be helpful, or worth a try, but I never had any of those issues so haven't tried it for that.

It's one of many fermented foods that could be helpful to the gut biome (eating a healthful diet overall is more significant, focusing on having a bit of ACV is definitely missing the forest for the trees if one does not have a good diet and make sure calories are on point and so on). I would never personally consume ACV on its own, as if it were medicine, but I love fermented foods and vinegars and use it in my cooking.

There's nothing special about ACV, for the record -- the benefit (as a fermented food) is the presence of the live culture, which could exist in any vinegar (although ACV is more often sold that way). You can make your own, too.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I hope you have a hard hat, there is a prejudice against acv on here.

Its good to help keep digestive acids strong, to generalise the modern diet is low on bitter tasting foods which are needed for different things. It is a fallacy that all digestive problems come from high acid levels. ACV, helps those who need to, to balance their digestive microbes, also frowned on, on here.

I know someone who's asthma benefited, the change to the unconvinced was noticeable but they preferred to be ill, so stopped as night followed day...............................

UK lemonade would do nothing for stomach acid.

how did it benefit their asthma? its a lung disease. my digestive issues come from a genetic defect as well as high acid.