Apple cider vinegar

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    CissyGB wrote: »
    What are your thoughts? Anyone taking this daily? Has it helped in overall health, weight loss, etc?

No, it doesn't generically help with health or cause weight loss. Some have specific issues where it might be helpful, or worth a try, but I never had any of those issues so haven't tried it for that.

It's one of many fermented foods that could be helpful to the gut biome (eating a healthful diet overall is more significant, focusing on having a bit of ACV is definitely missing the forest for the trees if one does not have a good diet and make sure calories are on point and so on). I would never personally consume ACV on its own, as if it were medicine, but I love fermented foods and vinegars and use it in my cooking.

There's nothing special about ACV, for the record -- the benefit (as a fermented food) is the presence of the live culture, which could exist in any vinegar (although ACV is more often sold that way). You can make your own, too.

That's not what the studies I referenced said. I don't think it has to be ACV either and other vinegars would be similar.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    If it does help with weight loss, any benefits can be overcome by eating too much.

that means it doesn't help with weight loss.

No it doesn't. It can help but still be overcome is not inconsistent.

How can it help?
  • blambo61
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If it does help with weight loss, any benefits can be overcome by eating too much.

How can it help?

The references I gave said it helped reduce hunger, helped with insulin sensitivity, and also reduced post meal blood glucose spikes.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

How can it help?

The references I gave said it helped reduce hunger, helped with insulin sensitivity, and also reduced post meal blood glucose spikes.

I'm missing the part in that article where it says it does any of that for humans. It cites a couple of studies that it says "could" do or "suggests" it might do so for rats. Is that what you're referring to?
  • blambo61
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    CissyGB wrote: »
    What are your thoughts? Anyone taking this daily? Has it helped in overall health, weight loss, etc?

No, it doesn't generically help with health or cause weight loss. Some have specific issues where it might be helpful, or worth a try, but I never had any of those issues so haven't tried it for that.

It's one of many fermented foods that could be helpful to the gut biome (eating a healthful diet overall is more significant, focusing on having a bit of ACV is definitely missing the forest for the trees if one does not have a good diet and make sure calories are on point and so on). I would never personally consume ACV on its own, as if it were medicine, but I love fermented foods and vinegars and use it in my cooking.

There's nothing special about ACV, for the record -- the benefit (as a fermented food) is the presence of the live culture, which could exist in any vinegar (although ACV is more often sold that way). You can make your own, too.

That's not what the studies I referenced said. I don't think it has to be ACV either and other vinegars would be similar.

So if I feed my rat a very high fat diet (causing him harm) I can help him overcome this harm with ACV. Great to know. What exactly does that have to do with me (other than I'm a horrible rat caretaker)?

I suppose no animal studies are worth anything then right!? It doesn't prove anything in humans but is a starting point for more investigation.
  • blambo61
    Options

How can it help?

I'm missing the part in that article where it says it does any of that for humans. It cites a couple of studies that it says "could" do or "suggests" it might do so for rats. Is that what you're referring to?

The references in the article talk about those things.

Yes, I read it. That's how I know you're talking about what the results "could show" or "suggest" for rats. It's not even definite for them, let alone humans.

They did make some definitive claims in the studies. I didn't download the whole study to read, I just read the summary that was given. They should state the uncertainties in their studies. Nothing I read said that they proved that it didn't work!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Maybe the "results" some folks claim is because it makes you too sick to eat???

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23979220

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    The BBC programme " Trust me I'm a Doctor,"at the start of the year did identify one aspect which was not present on ordinary vinegars. Fermented foods are fine for those who are able to eat them, no everyone has a system which is able to conform to the regularly accepted Norm.

To address the above comment. I have absolutely no idea how it worked scientifically, only that something had improved and was observed by a third party and reported. The first person was seen to be breathing more easily! I know because I was providing the meals for that person that this was the only change in their diet.

If someone finds a grannies remedy reference, tries it and for them it addresses the issue for which they were looking for a resolution of, then that is sufficient in my view for that person. The use of ACV was recommended to be tried dilute in that specific circumstance. It may work for one but not others. There are many contributory causes to asthma, one is infectious so it may have worked as an antimicrobial, speculation as the reference takn up suggested. I'm well aware of the hay fever/asthma genetic predisposition.

I'm not saying for everyone to go out and try this, obviously a person knows their own body best, for you it would be the height of, the word escapes me. One does one's own thinking.

asthma can be aggravated by infections but its not caused by it. it can trigger it just like heat,cold,pollen.allergies and even acid reflux can aggravate asthma. The thing is you cannot get rid of asthma, you dont outgrow it like it used to be thought, you can be symptom free for many years and sure some foods could trigger an asthmatic response as well. hay fever is also an allergy. it has nothing to do with asthma but can trigger it.

I have had asthma all my life. I have to be on meds to control mine,others may be able to go symptom free by change in diet or by losing weight. But once you have asthma you always have it,one day out of the blue a person can have an asthma attack and die. ACV for asthma would be possibly a placebo effect for some. it can also improve on its own in some. so the ACV was most likely not a contributing factor.
  • janejellyroll
    edited December 2017
    Options

How can it help?

The references in the article talk about those things.

Yes, I read it. That's how I know you're talking about what the results "could show" or "suggest" for rats. It's not even definite for them, let alone humans.

They did make some definitive claims in the studies. I didn't download the whole study to read, I just read the summary that was given. They should state the uncertainties in their studies. Nothing I read said that they proved that it didn't work!

Nobody has proven that my method, leaving a saucer of cream outside my doorstep to gain the favor of the weight loss pixies, doesn't work either.

If they're making definitive claims for humans in the summaries for the studies after doing research on rats, they're way overstepping what their evidence shows.

Some of the references were for rat studies and some were for human studies!

Which human studies establishing or potentially establishing a benefit to weight loss are you referring to?