If I knew then what I know now...

jpeoples1177
jpeoples1177 Posts: 266 Member
People look at life from different perspectives...some live without regret regardless of things they've done, things that have been done to them, or their life circumstances in general. Others wish they could go back and changes some things about their life, do things a little different, right some wrongs...

Which type are you, and if you could warn to tell your younger, less-wise self about anything...what would it be?

Replies

• pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    I have no regrets about my life and I've made my share of mistakes. On the other hand if Doc Brown suddenly pulled up in my drive way in the DeLorean....I would be happy to take a trip back to put some post it notes on a few moments in time. Just lil notes like to tell me to call Mom May 14th before 830am. (massive stroke about 9am that morning) But, I wouldn't want to "change" anything so to speak.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Don't date him, don't date him... and most DEFINITELY don't date him.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    I've never made a good/correct decision in my life, it would seem, so I would tell my younger self to always do the exact opposite of what I want or what seems right. I would love to see how things would be different.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    No, you don't need to supersize that. Or that. Put the confectionery down. HOW much mayonnaise?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Poor young grandson, there's nothing I can say
    You'll have to learn, just like me
    And that's the hardest way
    Ooh la la

I wish that I knew what I know now
    When I was younger.
    I wish that I knew what I know now
    When I was stronger.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    I know now what I knew then / But I didn't know then what I know now
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Go with the plan and don't listen to the naysayer!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Everyone will have some regret in life. Some are just better at minimalizing them. Sounds cavalier to say though.

For me, I have had mistakes that I don't regret, and plenty that I do. Most have to do with my own internal conflicts, confidence, physical addictions, and undo issues I caused myself. I still think about them, but I've sorted most out and I am starting to embrace myself more.

One major things I would loved to have changed is not wasting my talents for sports.
  • tlmcint
    tlmcint Posts: 74 Member
    Don't get married at 19, be brave enough to go to college. You are Ok, you are NOT broken.
  • jpeoples1177
    Well, I know I am who I am today because of the life I've lived, but if given the opportunity I'd probably tell my 18 y.o. self that God is still there, He loves him no matter how rotten he's been, and nothing can change that. And don't believe her cause she's not going to change...
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    there are really only two things I'd wish I could tell younger me.

A) You're not fat. Seriously. When you're little, you're just a small amount bigger than the other kids, and when you're a teen you grow out of it into a svelte, curvy young woman. Enjoy it and stop listening to the bullies.

B) Follow your dreams. Go to that jazz singer audition because you can...and you'd probably get the gig because you're good.
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    I wish I could go back and tell myself to get off the couch and do some sit-ups....and eat healthier. :P
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    I would tell the younger me:

- Don't be such a chicken! Take risks!

- You don't care about money now, but later you will be over forty and renting an apt. Better start planning ahead... :laugh: :noway:

- - -

ETA:

- Don't start exercising at 38 - start now! You will lose muscle mass and have super slow metabolism if you don't do something now!
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    If I could go back I would tell myself: "Don't follow your heart."
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Don't let your first love distract you from finishing college.

Know who you are before you let yourself fall in love so that that person knows who you are, too, instead of figuring it out 3 years into the relationship and having to break both your hearts.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    I'd say work out hard now! It's vain to say but if I worked out in my early twenties like I do now, dam, youth is wasted on the young. ~sigh~
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Invest in a small start up company called Microsoft, and def marry the best friends ex girlfriend ( she's a hot head nurse now with a Harley ).....
  • jpeoples1177
    Invest in a small start up company called Microsoft....

Definitely THIS ^--^
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Hold out for true love...don't settle for anything less.

But whilst you're holding out and not settling, bridge the gap with promiscuity.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Go straight to college - don't put it off because you don't have any money and your parents won't help, find someone who will help you make it happen.