Fitness Suggestions for Chemo Patients?? <3

Options
Hello all!

Quick back story, I lost over 100 lbs and was working at losing more weight to reach my goals, and thennn boom. I found out I had two different types of cancers independently living in me, so I had to undergo surgery that kept me on bed rest and light duty for 3 months. Now I am going through the chemo process and my energy is lower than EVER. I am putting on weight through all of this. (Anyone who's ever been put on Dexamethasone before would understand the appetite from actual HELL!)

I have started doing some low impact cardio videos as well as throwing in some body resistance strength training -- but other than that and taking walks, does anyone have any suggestions for the weak and low energy people? I find myself burning out almost 10 minutes into such simple videos but I push to 15-20 before I stop. (Unless the nausea hits me like a tidal wave, then I'm tapping out lol.)

I am asking that all suggestions are kept to low impact as my bones and joints are unable to handle that until I'm done with chemo :)

Any kind of suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)<3

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you - I'm so sorry you're going through this! I would suggest check with your doctor about what type of activity would be best while you're in treatment, just to make sure you don't overdo. I sincerely wish you a successful recovery, please take care of yourself <3
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this. I wish you all the best. When my Aunt was going through her chemo treatments she would ride the stationary bike, this was with her Dr's approval.
  • amandablair90
    amandablair90 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ooh stationary bike would be perfect! My doctor suggests I do no more than I can handle, a personal trainer suggested I go to my gym and do 15 reps on every machine — I’m giving his advice a big NO lol. I couldn’t imagine being so sore all over my body while going through this!

Thanks for the input! :)
  • amandablair90
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Having gone through chemo myself (17 years ago now) I want to send you sympathy and strength!

It sounds like you're doing pretty great already. I'm assuming your team doesn't want you losing weight, but is OK with efforts to hold steady? With dexamethasone, many people add a bunch of water weight. Perhaps that may be part of the gain you're seeing. If so, it'll drop fairly fast post-treatment.

The only thing I'd suggest, in addition to what you mentioned, would be some yoga or just stretching. That sort of thing really helped me, emotionally/mentally as well as physically.

Best wishes!

I would not be surprised if I am holding water, considering that stuff makes me drink double the amount I usually drink!

And yes, my oncologist consistently reminds me to not worry so much about weight gain because I’ll be able to handle it when I’m done and my strength comes back :)

I figure I’ll just continue to take it easy on the workouts and focus more on eating a very healthy diet.

Also, I’d like to say, it’s always great to hear from someone who knows what it’s like!! Glad to see you strong and healthy!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,504 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Having gone through chemo myself (17 years ago now) I want to send you sympathy and strength!

It sounds like you're doing pretty great already. I'm assuming your team doesn't want you losing weight, but is OK with efforts to hold steady? With dexamethasone, many people add a bunch of water weight. Perhaps that may be part of the gain you're seeing. If so, it'll drop fairly fast post-treatment.

The only thing I'd suggest, in addition to what you mentioned, would be some yoga or just stretching. That sort of thing really helped me, emotionally/mentally as well as physically.

Best wishes!

I would not be surprised if I am holding water, considering that stuff makes me drink double the amount I usually drink!

And yes, my oncologist consistently reminds me to not worry so much about weight gain because I’ll be able to handle it when I’m done and my strength comes back :)

I figure I’ll just continue to take it easy on the workouts and focus more on eating a very healthy diet.

Also, I’d like to say, it’s always great to hear from someone who knows what it’s like!! Glad to see you strong and healthy!

Cheering for you to be strong and healthy, too, and for you to stay that way long past my current 62 y/o.

Chemo (and the rest rest of cancer treatment) can feel like a long slog at the time - occasionally a near-infinite slog ;) - but just keep putting one foot ahead of the other, doing the best you can, and you'll make your way through it. Then you can really start pushing with full energy toward big new goals. :)

Unlike many of your peers who've been lucky enough to be spared this experience, you'll arrive there with a full and deep understanding of what a gift (relative) health is.

Your great attitude can only help to speed you along the path.

Wishing you well (literally)!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    PS....under your circumstances do NOT listen to a trainer! 15 reps on each machine....REALLY?!
    Listen to your body and you WILL be better!!!{{HUGS}}
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Swimming and/or water aerobics? Best wishes to you for a successful recovery!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Some people handle strength training better than others while on treatments. Obviously it depends on your treatments, side effects, how healthy you were before treatmentd etc...

I personally played catcher for my baseball team the day before treatments. I wouldn't swim without thr Oncs blessing, I know that was a big no-no for some.

Most Oncs will have a person eat calories without a limit so treatments & surgeries are not delayed.

It's pretty solid advice as well as do/eat what you can, but don't hesitate to just rest. In other words don't push, just do what us comfortable.

GL.

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal. Your trainer isn't completely crazy. Research has shown resistance training can provide multiple benefits for chemo patients. You're on the right track with bodyweight training but for some exercises (such as push-ups) you might find the machines to be lower intensity. That said, it's probably wise to stay in your comfort zone for now.

Here's ACSM's current stance on your question.

http://www.acsm.org/public-information/articles/2016/10/07/exercise-during-cancer-treatment
  • amandablair90
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I’ll be done with treatments by the end of February so not much longer til I can actually push myself.

I’ll continue what I’m doing, and I’ll be sure to rest good and plenty :smile:
  • emjay6x3
    emjay6x3 Posts: 213 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I know this is very different and may not be super beneficial, so I apologize in advance if it is not... I am not sure if you've ever heard of Jordan Bone - she is a quadriplegic and oftentimes documents her fitness endeavors on her YouTube page. https://jordansbeautifullife.com/about/ and https://youtube.com/user/JordanBone89