Zumba weight loss?

Options
Has anyone had a lot of success with zumba? I'm an instructor, and started teaching Zumba pretty much at 220 lbs about a year and a half ago. I've lost 55 lbs so far with it and went from barely being able to manage 15 minutes of class, to working out/teaching 13 hours a week sometimes. I'd love to hear anyone else's success/journey stories :)

Replies

• theatremack
    Options
    I love my Zumba, and have seen a difference in my body, but not a huge weight loss yet. I haven't been doing it for too long, but hopefully with getting on MFP it will help me get to losing! I LOVE doing it though and hope to have the courage to attend a class sometime.

Congratulations on your weight loss, it gives me more motivation to keep at it.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a Zumba class once a week for a month now, so it's not my main workout, but I've been steadily losing weight with it. I used to get winded during the higher pace dances, but now I'm fine and shaking my hips as much as possible... lol. I'm signed up for the class all summer, so hopefully it helps keep me going with my weight loss... and it's fun!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I just started ZUMBA back in March and I love it! I had lost about 30 lbs prior and it has helped me lose another 15 since then. I go once a week in addition to the working out I do at home the rest of the week. I love it and have even helped my instructor teach some of the classes. I am actually now looking into getting certified. It has definitely increased my energy and strength. I remember the first time I tried it, I was sore for days and thought I was going to die! (This was after doing 30 Day Shred, and I thought that was a killer!) I can get through a 1 hour class no problem now, I still work up quite a sweat though and burn anywhere between 500-700 cals each time. I even have gotten my mom and some of my friends into it. Tonight I am going to Zumba and I can't wait! It's the highlight of my week!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for about six months, and am totally addicted.

I haven't lost weight per se, but have dropped body fat % and an inch off of my waist at its smallest point (below the rib cage) and a half an inch off of the super stubborn "bellybutton waist".
  • pamw22
    pamw22 Posts: 77
    Options
    It's deff helped me! I wore some capris that I haven't worn in almost a year today and they fit great, a little lose in the waist too. I'm deff happy!! I just got certified and are excited to see the rest of the remaining weight I have to lose melt off with ZUMBA!!!!
  • labreemike
    labreemike Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    whats zumba
  • vencellia
    vencellia Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes I started Zumba and fell in love with it lost about 19 pounds my first week I was doing it 4x a week then. Now I do it 2x a week along with other exercises and I'm still losing!!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Yes I started Zumba and fell in love with it lost about 19 pounds my first week I was doing it 4x a week then. Now I do it 2x a week along with other exercises and I'm still losing!!!

You lost 19pounds your first week????? Are you kidding???? It took me almost a full year to lose that!!!! WOW!!! Congrats!
  • vencellia
    Options
    Zumba is an aerobic fitness program with Latin moves and Ive taken classes that also incorporate hip hop moves. It was created by Beto. Its a very good exercise it really helps me sweat and burn them calories up!!!
  • vencellia
    Options
    @DeeDeeLHF Yes I lost 19 pounds with Zumba the first month now I'm addicted I lost a total of 105 pounds diet and exercise alone gained back like 40 but now I'm done almost 40 and dropping pound like flies lol!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    @DeeDeeLHF Yes I lost 19 pounds with Zumba the first month now I'm addicted I lost a total of 105 pounds diet and exercise alone gained back like 40 but now I'm done almost 40 and dropping pound like flies lol!!

Congratulations!!!! That is wonderfully amazing!!!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I saw MAJOR changes with zumba! Combined with running, realllly watching what I was eating and zumba, I lost 20 pounds in about a year. I lost a lot of inches (not sure how much) in my whole torso area!!

HIGHLY recommended!
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

For those of you that Zumba do you wear a HRM so you know what you are burning? I'm thinking of ordering the dvds for my birthday but just wanted to know how you calculated your calories burnt..

• laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My instructor is also a professional belly dancer so she has incorporated a lot of those moves into the routines. So all us women in the class feel really sexy while doing those! :bigsmile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

For those of you that Zumba do you wear a HRM so you know what you are burning? I'm thinking of ordering the dvds for my birthday but just wanted to know how you calculated your calories burnt..

Everytime I sweat, I wear my HRM. That's how I calculate for everything.
  • u_wanna_angel215
    Options
    what is a HRM?
  • RedheadHen
    RedheadHen Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    what is a HRM?

Heart Rate Monitor ;)
  • BougieChick
    Options
    I am starting Zumba hopefully tonight.. hearing these stories have me motivated.. Between zumba 2x's a week and walking/running 5 nights a week I hope to see results soon!
  • kimanne4
    kimanne4 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started Zumba three weeks ago and have dropped 7 pounds! I go three times a week and I LOVE it! I hate to exercise but I love Zumba because it doesn't feel like exercise. Feels like I'm in a dance class with friends :) I've noticed chances in my legs and my arms and muscles that I forgot I had...lol. Can't wait to see how Zumba sculpts me as I drop the weight! And as my instructor says...You're always sexy when you salsa!
  • goldnfoxy
    goldnfoxy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Today was my 1st Zumba class and I think I will add Zumba to my workout program to shake things up a bit