Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I just happened to be scrolling through my pics today when I came across that picture and I couldn't believe how miserable I looked. So, I had to make a comparison collage because that's not even me anymore. I remember taking that pic (but had forgotten about it) because I wanted to remember what it felt like to live the life I had been living, a life of just existing.

You look just so happy and peaceful. You inspired me all month! Xo
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    Alzzi76 wrote: »
    Hey, ... does anyone here enjoy irsh coffee..?

this was an old idea that ive recently gone back on. Ihad them as a treat occationally but then got into a bad habit after i had a lot of stress and had lots to do. I felt it got me going without thinking abt my worries. I was really stressed out with a lot to do and not know where to start and this old idea came to me and i gave in.

I had to look it up! I thought it was with Bailey's. I'm sorry your comment was flagged. I don't know why. Please continue to post and give us your thoughts. Xoxo

:) all forgiven!!.. ive just found this.. its ok, ag. Someone obiously was offended. Im learning fast u cant say or do much without people getting offened. Its the way the world is going sadly enough.
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Gotta say I am struggling tonight. However, I wont drink - this will be Day 12. BUT I started to feel grouchy that I "couldn't drink" tonight; what will I look forward to now? Negative self talk.
    So, I just had a little pep talk in my mind and said, "You can look forward to no hangover, more weight loss, no headache tomorrow, sleeping better, and working on a hobby you havent done in awhile..."

So, I poured a La Croix in a wine glass. And will make a big pot of tea and chill. I will watch a movie or maybe journal or read. I have to continue to be strong. And read these posts. I look forward to them !
    Due to the blizzard, my plans were cancelled ; I was going to the bar to listen to a band. So, now there is no temptation which is good.

I am looking forward to actually seeing what happens on Jan 31, and secondly enjoying a cold beer in February. I am seeing the differences....stay with it

Its nearly here.... :p
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Neither of these photos are especially flattering, but I wanted to share them anyway. I tried to take them from the same angle for a better comparison. The bottom one was taken 108 days ago and the top one today. That bottom pic was my day one of being sober and almost 40 pounds ago. It was my rock bottom. Today's pic? That's the girl I've been searching for this past decade. That's me sober, happy, and full of possibility. And it's still just the beginning.
    hmdspi7b1bp8.jpg

Wow! What a difference! You look so much healthier now! You are a beautiful woman just starting a new life with endless possibilities and adventures! What a blessing! Awesome! :)
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Last Monday of the month and it has flown by. I had miscalculated my alcohol intake for January when I first got onto this thread. By mistake I included Sunday Dec. 31/New Years Eve. I feel extremely accomplished with my alcohol choices (mic ultra or Rickers cider) and the over number for the month. Small steps.....for big results that last.
    Cudos go out to each and everyone on here. NOW.....off to workout.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    Skyweigh wrote: »

I did ask the bartender at an upscale bar to make me a mocktail. He looked curious. I said "I'm doing dry January." He said, "You know what? ..... January is almost over. Have one. "
    It Caught me by surprise. I thought he was going to say "Good for you." However, he did make me a very good .

Julie, I experience this kind of response all the time when I am out and order a coffee, tea or iced tea. I also get a lot of questions from others that have already ordered or are drinking alcohol at that moment. "Well, how do you relax?" That question always cracks me up. I some times feel like a square peg in a round peg world when it comes to socializing and social events. Because everyone expects you to drink.. I believe it is their own weakness and fear that they do not see themselves strong enough to even try and be in a social situation without alcohol that causes them to ask such annoying questions.
    Press on and I will join you on your February thread as well.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @crazykatlady820 - Wow! What a difference. Congrats to you on making such a positive choice for yourself!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I am back from Nashville. I proved to myself that I could still have lots of fun, laughter, and enjoyment not drinking on a girl's trip. The others drank steadily all weekend long, but I didn't miss it really. And I felt so wonderful every morning and thankful I didn't have the usual headache or hangover that I would have had on a weekend trip.

Congrats on a major accomplishment, @JulieAL1969!!!! I'm so happy that you finally found a mocktail you liked and made it through the girls weekend. Gives me hope, LOL. My morning email from the Dry January people says it's one month today, so yayyyy, all of us! Day 29 begins. I break my commitments to myself pretty often, but have hung in there for this one, and I'm so happy I did. If I can stop drinking for a month, what else can I do? Maybe even conquer chocolate!

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    Down 5.2 pounds on day 10! I cannot wait until I hit my 30 day mark but I do not plan on drinking after that. This simply feels too good! I am definitely sleeping better and my house isn't being neglected and since I make dinner every night neither is my family! The kids are all grown but still it's nice when Mom isn't too buzzed to make a decent dinner ;-)

Awesome, congratulations. I do plan to indulge on Super Bowl Sunday but I have no desire to drink. We'll see
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It was so awesome plugging in the day into the dry January app and seeing four consecutive weeks. I’m terrible at committing to things like this - (@kittybenn I totally know what you mean) so this month has meant extra to me and the resolve and strength I have that I didn’t know was there. I have also lost 5 pounds and feel great. Other than the horrible infection from skin surgery I have :s looking forward to continuing in Feb.

What has been the best lesson learned for you all from this month?