January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    @abutcher2122 My first race was a 5K Turkey Trot at my college. I always remembered hearing about it & never doing it so when I planned to run it when I was home for Thanksgiving. Then the grocery store I had worked at was doing on Thanksgiving so I signed up for that too. So I did a 5K and a 5-mile race within a week and was hooked. I picked them because of connections.

Now I look at where, when, and what I get. I like the medals that the Rock N Roll series give away so I do that one. I like the jackets and hot chocolate at the Hot Chocolate race so I do that. Those are big races and have a party feel to them. But I've also found smaller, local races that I love for a variety of reasons (too many to list).

Although it seems fun to be in on the inaugural race, I tend to stay away from those. I signed up for one recently and it was canceled and will supposedly be done in February (I chose to transfer my registration over refund).

Like I signed up for a WTF quarter marathon yesterday. The name, shirt and medal first attracted me but it's also a trail race and I want to do more of those.

My first race was also a 5k Turkey Trot my sophomore year of college. It was in Madison WI. I wore sweat pants and a sweat shirt. It was freezing out. I remember how heavy and wet sweats would get! Thank God for advances in running clothing!

Mine was at UW-LaCrosse LOL but it was freezing that morning! It was November 2012. I want to say it was like 10 degrees with the windchill? There was frost and everyone was hiding out in the athletic building. My dad ran with me and caught the race bug too.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Hot Cocoa is one of my favorites. I will be running on my road near my house, so I may have some after Running.

I talked to my husband about the weather and running. He did make the suggestion to wait until late in the day to run when the temperatures will get above freezing for about 4-5 hours each day. I usually am a morning runner, so I may try this on Monday and see how it goes. Our holiday was extended until Tuesday- so I have a 3 day work week this week. So if it works on Monday I can repeat on Tuesday. Wednesday is a scheduled rest day, Thursday I will be running in 20 F temperature, Friday cross training day - I usually ride my bicycle. Saturday temps will be back in the 50s F. So I am going to try to work with the items I have on hand for cold weather running.
  • bride001
    Options
    Goal for January- 75 miles

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Q50 Resolution Run - 01/06/2018 - ?
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K -02/17/2018
    OLOLCH Amazing Challenge 5K and 10K - 03/10-11/2018 - ?
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf 3/24/2018 -?
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 -?
  • bride001
    Options
    Welcome GrayduckMN and LCHotaling!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    GrayduckMN wrote: »
    This is my first ever Running Challenge. Right now I just have to run on the treadmill (today's high was -8F and the ground is covered in ice) but I'm making lemonade with those lemons...my goal this month is to work on running an even pace. When I run outdoors my pace is all over the place, but when I'm on a treadmill I have to stick with it. I am not a fast runner so I need to get used to keeping up the pace when I feel out of breath or sore, and just work through it.

Last year I trained for and ran 3 5ks (and one 6k) in October-December. My main goal for 2018 is to train for and run a 10k. But until then...

Goal for January - 30 miles at 5mph
    Welcome from a fellow Minnesotan!
    LCHotaling wrote: »

exercise.png

Starting training for Grandma's Marathon in June, and getting back into better shape. Here's to winter running!
    Welcome! I ran Grandma's last year. They do an amazing job putting on a marathon!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I had the crazy idea I needed to move all my run data to nike+. So it's Friday night and I am moving 2ish years of runkeeper to nike. Not sure if I can move Fitbit. That will be another day. HAH

Then I will have all my date back to 2012 in one place. I think. I tried a bunch of Apps over the years. And before 2012 I didn't track.

@RunsOnEspresso Well done for getting the data together in one place as much as possible. Love extensive stats! I assume most of it was on Nike+ or did you start using that app and liked it better than RunKeeper? Haven't tried either and would be interested in your views.

Luckily I started using Strava on about my third run, which was in September 2015. It's got everything I've done since. #loveStrava
  • ddmm2013
    ddmm2013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    LCHotaling wrote: »

exercise.png

Starting training for Grandma's Marathon in June, and getting back into better shape. Here's to winter running!

I did that one in 2013. It was well run and essentially downhill the whole way. Super friendly too. Good luck!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Most of my stuff was already on Nike so I had the majority of my miles and "achievements" on there. The problem with Nike is they don't like other people's stuff (which I get) so when my tomtom died I went with Garmin over Fitbit because Garmin was compatible with Nike. Moving data from runkeeper I had to use a third party website workouts.

As far as I can tell, I can't transfer my fitbit data to Nike. :'(

I think a lot of people use Strava. I can't remember if I ever tried Strave. I think I tried mapmy run once too. I've bounced around too much.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    It ain't even January and I'm already late!

I regret to inform you all that you are stuck with me for another year :D . In for 550k

...I can only assume that (550k) is a typo....and you meant 5500 k? If not...I am disappoint....!
  • Orphia
    Options
    @Orphia Most of my stuff was already on Nike so I had the majority of my miles and "achievements" on there. The problem with Nike is they don't like other people's stuff (which I get) so when my tomtom died I went with Garmin over Fitbit because Garmin was compatible with Nike. Moving data from runkeeper I had to use a third party website workouts.

I think a lot of people use Strava. I can't remember if I ever tried Strave. I think I tried mapmy run once too. I've bounced around too much.

@RunsOnEspresso A bunch of us use Strava. We have a MFP Monthly Running Challenge Strava group:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng

I'm on Strava multiple times a day.

I'm on MapMyRun but only really let Garmin sync to it. I pop in every few days to give kudos /say hi to my couple of friends.

I stopped using Fitbit a year ago, but somehow it's getting bits of my data from somewhere. I can't work it out. :smiley: It wants our info, but won't share it!
  • Orphia
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    It ain't even January and I'm already late!

I regret to inform you all that you are stuck with me for another year :D . In for 550k

...I can only assume that (550k) is a typo....and you meant 5500 k? If not...I am disappoint....!

Probably 550,000km, knowing @JessicaMcB :smiley:
  • Orphia
    Options
    I watched SBS Insight today - their episode on 'Pushing the Limits' - about ultra-endurance athletes.

They all seemed to say that they actually *like* pain, and want to feel pain.

I was worried I was heading that way with my 50 km run ambition, but that's not why I want to do it. I'm not like that.

I just love running, and challenging my thoughts, and I find winning the mental battle extremely satisfying.

Do other distance runners here actually want to feel pain?
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Running a little late to get my challenge in. I am going again for the 60km this month If the weather does not do a code red ice turn that should be quite doable. Been thinking also to to make it a annual challenge for myself doing 750km this year in total. Will keep track of both I think Just for fun or is there a 2018 annual running challenge?

Scheduled first ever race: 10k urban trial run 8 July 2018
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Wow, four pages already!

Hi guys! My goal was 50k / 31 mi in December, and I went a little over despite holiday breaks. But it's starting to get really cold and I hate the treadmill. So I think I'm going to stick to my previous goal. 50k.

Also looking into a 5k on the 20th, but haven't registered yet.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

@RunsOnEspresso A bunch of us use Strava. We have a MFP Monthly Running Challenge Strava group:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng

I'm on Strava multiple times a day.

I'm on MapMyRun but only really let Garmin sync to it. I pop in every few days to give kudos /say hi to my couple of friends.

I stopped using Fitbit a year ago, but somehow it's getting bits of my data from somewhere. I can't work it out. :smiley: It wants our info, but won't share it!

I have all of my data in RunKeeper going back many years.... but these days I track everything with my Garmin 935 and it syncs the data to Strava, RunKeeper, MFP, and Apple Health for me. I only use Strava because of THIS group though :)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    I am in for 150. I don't know if I can do it but 2018 miles for 2018 is my overachiever goal for the year.

@cburke8909 I thought about making that my big overachiever 2018 goal as well but talked myself down from it. I am afraid I might seriously break myself. I am also going to have to drop to the half marathon instead of the full in March because of my stupid foot issues.

January Goal: 140 miles