January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I watched SBS Insight today - their episode on 'Pushing the Limits' - about ultra-endurance athletes.

They all seemed to say that they actually *like* pain, and want to feel pain.

I was worried I was heading that way with my 50 km run ambition, but that's not why I want to do it. I'm not like that.

I just love running, and challenging my thoughts, and I find winning the mental battle extremely satisfying.

Do other distance runners here actually want to feel pain?

Ummm, no. I am very anti-pain. I love running because of the challenge, friends I have made, the energy it gives me, the way I can work out all the frustration of the day....etc. No pain for me please!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    My goal for January is 110 miles. I surpassed this in December (134 miles) but that was due to the Runner's World streaking challenge. Since January is starting off with a week of this darn artic blast, 110 might be lofty!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I watched SBS Insight today - their episode on 'Pushing the Limits' - about ultra-endurance athletes.

I was worried I was heading that way with my 50 km run ambition, but that's not why I want to do it. I'm not like that.

I just love running, and challenging my thoughts, and I find winning the mental battle extremely satisfying.

There's "want" and "don't care because it's just another thing to get through on the way to my goal." I don't necessarily want to feel pain, but it is a sign that I am pushing further and longer and testing my limits, which I think is what all Ultra-runners are doing.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Orphia @PastorVincent I still have fitbit synced to mfp because I have the scale. I think if I wanted to export my fitbit data I'd have to manually. I don't care that much. LOL

Maybe I need to join strava to keep up with all of you! I plan/hope to stick with Garmin (like I said with Fitbit and TomTom too) :D:D:D
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

There's "want" and "don't care because it's just another thing to get through on the way to my goal." I don't necessarily want to feel pain, but it is a sign that I am pushing further and longer and testing my limits, which I think is what all Ultra-runners are doing.

Pain or discomfort? Because there's definitely a difference. I am ok with discomfort and pushing myself. But pain? Probably not.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Pain or discomfort? Because there's definitely a difference. I am ok with discomfort and pushing myself. But pain? Probably not.

quads and calves killing after 17 hours on trail is something I'm OK with.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I'm so not excited about -22C predicted for my race start tomorrow. At least my race bling was a fleece-lined running jacket?

If it makes you feel better, it will be -27C when I go on my run tonight..... You'll be fine. Remember, once you're running, you'll stay warm, as long as you dress properly.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Happy new year to everyone! :smile:
    My January goal is same as December i.e. 90 km.
    I missed by 10 km so hoping to achieve it and some more in January.
    Good luck with your goals and hope everyone stays free of injuries!! :)
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I’m in for January. I had a minor injury in November and have really not gotten back into running too much. But I’m ready. I’ll start with 75 kms for Jan.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Orphia @PastorVincent I still have fitbit synced to mfp because I have the scale. I think if I wanted to export my fitbit data I'd have to manually. I don't care that much. LOL

Maybe I need to join strava to keep up with all of you! I plan/hope to stick with Garmin (like I said with Fitbit and TomTom too) :D:D:D

I know nothing about FitBit, but since you already have Garmin, using Strava is simple. Just tell Garmin to auto sync to Strava and let it do all the work. That will not bring over old data (but you can export from Run Keeper, and import into Strava), but it will mean every future run is there for you.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Hmm 2018 miles in 2018 is only 168ish miles a month. I think that is within reach for me...
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I'm so not excited about -22C predicted for my race start tomorrow. At least my race bling was a fleece-lined running jacket?

If it makes you feel better, it will be -27C when I go on my run tonight..... You'll be fine. Remember, once you're running, you'll stay warm, as long as you dress properly.

Yeah, I've got the gear and know I can be warm enough. Still intimidating! I am going to play around with DIY glasses defogging hacks today I think (aka dish soap and/or shaving cream). If I can get that sorted I'll be fine. Or I can do what I normally do and use my gloves as periodic windshield wipers...
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Doing a little end of year graphing comparing 2016 to 2017 (started running in September 2015, so I was only a few months into it at the start of 2016). The dip for October of both years is when I ran my goal 1/2 marathon, so included tapering and recovery. Other than that, I've been pretty consistently at 90 miles or more per month since about July 2016. I also ran HMs in September 2016 (practice), May 2017, and November 2017.

28r721pd4dkl.png

Given this trend, and that I have a half coming up on Jan 14, I think I'll set my goal for January 2018 at 93 miles again (3 miles per day on average). It might be tough given travel, the HM, and weather but I will shoot for it.

Upcoming races:
    1/1/18 Resolution Run
    1/14/18 Key West Half Marathon
    4/22/18 Glass City Marathon Relay (5-person relay) OR Half Marathon
    8/19/18 Falmouth Road Race (7 miles, pending group getting in by lottery)

• bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

I know nothing about FitBit, but since you already have Garmin, using Strava is simple. Just tell Garmin to auto sync to Strava and let it do all the work. That will not bring over old data (but you can export from Run Keeper, and import into Strava), but it will mean every future run is there for you.

I got a Garmin 235 for Christmas. Still learning how to use the watch, but how do you sync it to Strava? I downloaded the app because almost all my running friends use it. Do I do something in the Connect app to sync it to Strava?

I did 2.0 miles on a treadmill today because raining here before we get the arctic blast and I turned on the Run Indoor feature but it kept going back to the clock face. Not sure what I did wrong - but it did not record workout.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hmm 2018 miles in 2018 is only 168ish miles a month. I think that is within reach for me...

Agreed. This is my monthly goal with aspirations to have a full year that meets or exceeds 2018. Happy New Year everyone.

• kmaraphillips
    kmaraphillips Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My goal is 40 K this month as I'm building my way back up (slowly). Looking forward to the challenge!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    All this talk of annual goals. With recovery cycles from my April and September races, I don't dare set an annual goal. All annual goals are race or skill related. Good luck to everyone going for 2018 in 2018.
  • RunHappyMe
    RunHappyMe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I want to do 1500 miles this year. I did about 1000 this last year. Before that I have been between 700 miles to 800 miles. A modest increase this year, and hope to see if I can pick it up a bit. Even more than 1000 will make me happy.