January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »

I know nothing about FitBit, but since you already have Garmin, using Strava is simple. Just tell Garmin to auto sync to Strava and let it do all the work. That will not bring over old data (but you can export from Run Keeper, and import into Strava), but it will mean every future run is there for you.

I got a Garmin 235 for Christmas. Still learning how to use the watch, but how do you sync it to Strava? I downloaded the app because almost all my running friends use it. Do I do something in the Connect app to sync it to Strava?

I did 2.0 miles on a treadmill today because raining here before we get the arctic blast and I turned on the Run Indoor feature but it kept going back to the clock face. Not sure what I did wrong - but it did not record workout.

Got it synced!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I watched SBS Insight today - their episode on 'Pushing the Limits' - about ultra-endurance athletes.

They all seemed to say that they actually *like* pain, and want to feel pain.

I was worried I was heading that way with my 50 km run ambition, but that's not why I want to do it. I'm not like that.

I just love running, and challenging my thoughts, and I find winning the mental battle extremely satisfying.

Do other distance runners here actually want to feel pain?

There's "want" and "don't care because it's just another thing to get through on the way to my goal." I don't necessarily want to feel pain, but it is a sign that I am pushing further and longer and testing my limits, which I think is what all Ultra-runners are doing.

Yes, this is a bit closer to how I see it. I don't want the pain, but I want to be able to fight through it should it happen.

I know nothing about FitBit, but since you already have Garmin, using Strava is simple. Just tell Garmin to auto sync to Strava and let it do all the work. That will not bring over old data (but you can export from Run Keeper, and import into Strava), but it will mean every future run is there for you.

I got a Garmin 235 for Christmas. Still learning how to use the watch, but how do you sync it to Strava? I downloaded the app because almost all my running friends use it. Do I do something in the Connect app to sync it to Strava?

I did 2.0 miles on a treadmill today because raining here before we get the arctic blast and I turned on the Run Indoor feature but it kept going back to the clock face. Not sure what I did wrong - but it did not record workout.

@bride001 Yay for your new Garmin!

To connect it to Strava, you first need a Strava account and be logged in.

Then go to Garmin Connect on your phone>More>Settings>3rd Party Apps and connect to Strava from there.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have an annual goal. "Do better", would have to sum it up!

It's very hard to do better when forward progress is seemingly impossible. Couch, donuts, Netflix.... and not running, cooking, planning... oh I could be doing PT... :grimace:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Orphia ahhhh! You ALREADY have a run? Congratulations!

Makes me wanna do a midnight mile!!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I watched SBS Insight today - their episode on 'Pushing the Limits' - about ultra-endurance athletes.

They all seemed to say that they actually *like* pain, and want to feel pain.

I was worried I was heading that way with my 50 km run ambition, but that's not why I want to do it. I'm not like that.

I just love running, and challenging my thoughts, and I find winning the mental battle extremely satisfying.

Do other distance runners here actually want to feel pain?

There's "want" and "don't care because it's just another thing to get through on the way to my goal." I don't necessarily want to feel pain, but it is a sign that I am pushing further and longer and testing my limits, which I think is what all Ultra-runners are doing.

Yes, this is a bit closer to how I see it. I don't want the pain, but I want to be able to fight through it should it happen.

@bride001 Yay for your new Garmin!

To connect it to Strava, you first need a Strava account and be logged in.

Then go to Garmin Connect on your phone>More>Settings>3rd Party Apps and connect to Strava from there.

Thanks @Orphia I was going to have to go find the docs cause I do not remember what I did :) I just know it works :lol:
  • Orphia
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Orphia ahhhh! You ALREADY have a run? Congratulations!

Makes me wanna do a midnight mile!!!!

@Elise4270 That totally sounds like a thing you should do!
  • Orphia
    Options
    First timer here! So I've been on a weight loss journey since September of 2016, going slowly by choice, and I've lost 55ish pounds so far. January 6,2017 I joined planet fitness. The first few months probably till the end of summer I was fairly regular but hit a 2 month time where I was kind of over the measuring and logging and just wanted to not track like crazy anymore. Since Thanksgiving I've been refocused and I have a 5k next Saturday (the 13th) and I'm doing the Semper 5ive in May (its part of the Marine Marathon weekend). My January goal is 50 miles. Thanks for listening to my story!

@crazychlobug09 Welcome! Great weight loss so far! Nice goal for January. Love how you've got 2 races planned.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Congrats @eponine1984! Awesome news!

Way to ring in the new year with a run, @Orphia. Excellent results!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,992 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 75 miles again in January. It may be Wednesday before I can get a run in, but I just don't think I can run if it is in the 20's. I know lots of you run in much colder weather, but I am not used to it and I don't have the proper gear for it. I may have to try that t-shirt trick @lporter229. I am one of those who hate to spend a lot of money on gear I will only use a couple of times per year.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I'd love to have an annual goal. "Do better", would have to sum it up!

It's very hard to do better when forward progress is seemingly impossible. Couch, donuts, Netflix.... and not running, cooking, planning... oh I could be doing PT... :grimace:
    @Elise4270 - remember you were going to PT every time you whined or wanted to whine... Get with it :)

@eponine1984 - Congratulations on another baby!!
    @juliet3455 - Love Calvin and Hobbes!!
  • Orphia
    Options
    @juliet3455 Hahahaha, oh, thanks heaps!! :smile: :heart: I love Calvin and Hobbes! :smile: So sweet of you. Happy New Year, my dear friend.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @eponine1984 congratulations!
  • greedygob
    greedygob Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can’t find the thread, can I have the strava group name and Facebook link? New to MFP but not to runner and would love to have people to get motivated with
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I'm not setting any annual goals as far as running mileage goes. I'll do the half training and the half marathon unless I chicken out. We'll see how I feel after that.

I expect I'll have to taper off and then take a big break around September 3. My husband and I just found out we're expecting our second baby! (I might have to take a break starting in August if this babe is like big brother and comes three weeks early.)

Congrats!