January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    for the rest of the world to help understand what a small minority of the world is talking about, especially YOU @PastorVincent >:)

2p8mz43pl0tm.jpg

Honestly, there is good argument that Fahrenheit is superior, see this article for example (make sure add blockers are on, pretty loaded site):

https://www.zmescience.com/other/fahrenheit-vs-celsius-did-the-u-s-get-it-right-after-all/

I really do not care - so long as we can all agree on one (which is highly improbable!)

accirding to wiki - According to a letter Fahrenheit wrote to his friend Herman Boerhaave,[10] his scale was built on the work of Ole Rømer, whom he had met earlier. In Rømer's scale, brine freezes at zero, water freezes and melts at 7.5 degrees, body temperature is 22.5, and water boils at 60 degrees. Fahrenheit multiplied each value by four in order to eliminate fractions and increase the granularity of the scale. He then re-calibrated his scale using the melting point of ice and normal human body temperature (which were at 30 and 90 degrees); he adjusted the scale so that the melting point of ice would be 32 degrees and body temperature 96 degrees, so that 64 intervals would separate the two, allowing him to mark degree lines on his instruments by simply bisecting the interval six times (since 64 is 2 to the sixth power).

sounds a little made up to me....... whereas Celsius takes the freezing point of water as 0 and the boiling point (at sea level) as 100 (fairly sensible) I've with @MNLittleFinn, for accuracy Kelvin really does have it.

But I'm just jesting with you... :D

Jesting aside, I think that article I linked makes a very good case for using F over C. Not that it matters, I think we as a race have already proven we do not care about doing the logical thing. :)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    for the rest of the world to help understand what a small minority of the world is talking about, especially YOU @PastorVincent >:)

2p8mz43pl0tm.jpg

Kalvin really is the best, since zero actually is zero, then again, there would be a lot of dealing with decimals to get people to understand what the temp is.

We posted at about the same time, so see my post above yours for a different opinion. :)

Just finished reading it. I do like the argument for F... and since I use it, I'm fine sticking with it... B)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    and yet @pastorvincent and @MNLittleFinn when we actually measure AIR temperature we primarily use a liquid.....

so an argument suggesting F is better than C at measuring air temperature means nothing. The actual measurement is merely lines on a scale. Hence why Kelvin should win as it has a greater degree of accuracy.

(hmmm, did you note also that the article promotes the use of centimetres and millimetres?.... B) )

(yes, I'm British, we use miles, pints (British Imperial), inches, feet, stone, pounds, ounces, grams, kilograms, millimetres, centimetres and metres depending on our whim)

Oh, I am all for the rest of metric system, but that is the world *I* live in, so I deal with the world as I must. :)
  • springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The past weekend was not so great in terms of finding time :( ...ran 4 miles on 10/13 and that's it more or less..
    Total 23/50 miles so far.. Hoping to put another 3-4 later today.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ((butt hugs)) @karllundy I know how much that sucks.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Link2Life wrote: »
    01/02/2018: C25K W1D1
    01/11/2018: C25K W1D2
    01/15/2018: C25K W1D3

I finally have my head in the right place to stay consistent. If I don't run in the morning, I don't run in the evening. I'm breaking this pattern of sleeping in just a few minutes longer, rushing to get ready for work, crashing at home in the evening. And while it took me 2 weeks to complete the first week, i'm confident i can start week 2 on Wednesday. I'll add yoga into the time slot tomorrow morning.

Looking at everyone's daily miles here is inspiring. I crave the day I can run 3 miles without stopping. And then I'll crave more. I want to trail run this summer...

You'll get there! And when you run your first 5K race you'll smile remembering how seeing "run for 5 minutes" was freaking you out.

I really love to run in the mornings, for many of the same reasons. Once you get in the routine and prep the night before for your run, it's so good to start your day that way!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Trying to catch up...

@HRKinchen no one ever feels ready for their first 5K. You'll be fine! It does sound like you could call it a trail race, LOL!
    @MNLittleFinn when the first snowfall of the season hits Minnesota it's like folks have forgotten out to drive in the winter. You can't expect folks who rarely see snow to be expert winter drivers particularly when the communities have little or no means for salting and plowing. And when they do get winter driving conditions there's usually a nasty base of ice on the road, something we thankfully don't have to deal with very often. I spent 5 years living in Kansas City and the amount of glare ice I had to deal with there was just crazy. I'll take our snow packed roads over their glare ice any day.
    @ddmom0811 I've never heard of anyone using chains in Minnesota. I think that's more of a mountain thing. For that matter, it's rare that I see snow tires here. They used to be more common but I think the prevalence of front wheel drive and rear wheel drive has reduced the need for it.
    @juliet3455 gives some great winter driving tips. Here are two more. First, never use cruise control on icy or slick roads. Having your foot on the gas gives you a better feel for the road and allows for quicker reaction when going into a slide. Second, when going over an overpass or on a bridge, take your foot off the gas completely. Overpasses and bridges are susceptible to black ice and you reduce the risk of going into a slide if you don't have your foot on the gas. If the bridge is so long you have to use the gas, use it so lightly that you're still slowly decelerating.
    @juliet3455 I'll have to check out that video a bit later.
    @bride001 great medal! Looks like it doubles as a bottle opener.
    @_nikkiwolf_ I'm jealous of the skiing you're doing. I used to ski back in the day but haven't in over 20 years.
    @katharmonic congrats on a great race!
    @skippygirlsmom that is fantastic news!!! I look forward to your reports on her college running career! She's doing great and that's a reflection of you.
    @MobyCarp I've worn my FR 230 outside of all my layers down to 0F with no issue. Below that and I've had it underneath my golf mitts, but within easy access. It's good to hear those mitts are working out for you.
    @PastorVincent look for adhesive backed toe warmers. Stick them to your socks right above your toes. The adhesive keeps them from moving around and because they're designed to be used inside a boot or shoe they need less oxygen than the hand warmers to keep the heat coming. Sometimes I'll stick one of these to the back of my phone to keep it warm on a run.

4 more pages to go before I'm caught up...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent look for adhesive backed toe warmers. Stick them to your socks right above your toes. The adhesive keeps them from moving around and because they're designed to be used inside a boot or shoe they need less oxygen than the hand warmers to keep the heat coming. Sometimes I'll stick one of these to the back of my phone to keep it warm on a run.

Yep, ordered these yesterday:

0asj2s7fkjpc.png

HotHands Toe Warmers - Up to 8 Hours of Heat - 30 Pair

They should arrive tomorrow.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

0asj2s7fkjpc.png

they make full foot length ones. I use those.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

0asj2s7fkjpc.png

they make full foot length ones. I use those.

Saw those, but really it is only my toes that give me a problem so these should be all I need. Trying to keep cost per run down :smiley:
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Trying to catch up...

@MNLittleFinn when the first snowfall of the season hits Minnesota it's like folks have forgotten out to drive in the winter. You can't expect folks who rarely see snow to be expert winter drivers particularly when the communities have little or no means for salting and plowing. And when they do get winter driving conditions there's usually a nasty base of ice on the road, something we thankfully don't have to deal with very often. I spent 5 years living in Kansas City and the amount of glare ice I had to deal with there was just crazy. I'll take our snow packed roads over their glare ice any day.

No joke! We barely escaped some nasty ice last Friday with the rain and rapidly dropping temperatures, but the precipitation stopped shortly after it dropped below freezing, so it was minimized. As for KC drivers in the snow... I think most have enough difficulty when its raining much less snowing... (based on the number of accidents during rush hour). Although I think the schools around here cancel way too often, it does make traffic much lighter and less prone to accidents that way.

We have another cold snap here and this time it forced me inside to the treadmill... -3F w/ -20F WC -- was only a 3 mile run, which is doable for me on the treadmill. Tomorrow looks to only be about 5 degrees warmer, but is a longer run so I plan on hitting the pavement... maybe I can create a route without going north very much. :smile:
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @bride001 great medal! Looks like it doubles as a bottle opener.

@7lenny7 - Yes doubles as a bottle opener. Most all of the medals here in South Louisiana double as bottle openers. The runners here tend to love beer after a run - it does not matter if it is a 5K or an ultra marathon - they drink it. I don't like beer on any occasion, especially not after a run.

My legs felt like they needed another rest day on Monday and I did not wake up on time for my morning run. They are letting us off of work early today due to wintry mix and icy conditions. My choices are to wait until run in the wintry mix/snow this afternoon, wait until about 8 pm tonight and run in the 20 F weather or wait until tomorrow and run Wednesday - Saturday. We are off of work tomorrow as well, so I can wait until afternoon at warmest part of the day to run. Decisions - who wants to help me decide?

So my boss just gave me the go ahead to go home ahead of the noon leave time because I live in another parish but will log back on when I get home.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    1/1 5.9miles
    1/2 5miles
    1/3 13.1miles!
    1/4 5miles
    1/5 8.4miles
    1/6 4miles
    1/7 rest
    1/8 6.67miles
    1/9 5miles
    1/10 6miles
    1/11 13.1miles!
    1/12 8.09miles
    1/13 4miles
    1/14 rest
    1/15 5.75miles
    1/16 6.15miles

I was scheduled to run 5 miles so I did, but then I decided to jog back to the gym instead of walk like I normally would. Ended up logging another 1.15 miles back to the gym.

I’m feeling a bit run down and I have the dreaded tickle in my chest which is making me cough. I was really hoping I’d make it though the cold and flu season without getting sick! I’m still praying that it doesn’t get any worse than this cough.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @kgirlhart I haven't read all the followups to your HM question yet so this is likely just a repeat but here is my input
    • If you're doing 9.5 mile long runs now, you are well ahead of every single plan out there. You will need to customize a plan to fit you, or create your own. I'm a big fan of creating your own. I had a friend develop my first HM plan but I've created all my plans since then (for better or worse).
    • You will finish well ahead of that cutoff. You could run it today and finish ahead of that cutoff.
    • If 4 days per week fits your schedule best, stick with it. You have no need to go to 5 days per week.
    • Since you have so much time for this and you're already at 9.5 mile long runs, I'd look to build that up to at least 15 mile long runs, then start incorporating more hills on the long runs and/or fast finish long runs
    • Since you do have plenty of time before your race, and you're already at 9.5 mile long runs, I'd schedule cut-back weeks every third week where you cut your long run back about 25 to 30 percent. This gives your body a chance to recover from the load you're putting on it without losing any fitness. For my ultra plans I schedule a cutback week every 3rd week early in the plan, then every other week later in the plan. I'll adjust if needed to match real live stuff so if I'm busy one weekend, I'll make that my cutback week.

@eponine1984 I agree with @Elise4270 ... IT band. Build up your glutes. Glute bridges, clamshells and 1 legged squats. Start now before the pain.
    @karllundy sorry to hear about your sore butt. Hope it resolves for you soon.
    @Elise4270 "butt hugs"...LOL!!

Any with that I'm caught up. I'll have to post my runs in a bit.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    1/1/18-6 miles
    1/4/18-3 miles
    1/6/18-6 miles
    1/7/18-3.25 miles
    1/9/18-3miles
    1/10/18-2.25 miles
    1/13/17-1.5 miles
    1/14/17-8 miles
    1/15/17-3 miles

36/60 Miles

Upcoming Races:
    5/12/18-Montana Womens Run-5 Miles
    7/15/18-Missoula Marathon
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

If I had a lot of disposable income I’d totally buy it! It would probably make the days I have to run inside so much more bearable.