How long did it take you to lose 30 pounds or more?

Options

Replies

• peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Around 5 months :]
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I started Aug 1 2011 and as of today (2 years in) I have lost 47 Lbs.....
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 and a half months to lose my first 30 pounds. My starting weight was 240lbs.
    It's taken 6 months and 6 days to lose this next 24 pounds. It slowed down for a while about 2 months ago but seems to have picked up again now, I've lost 6 pounds in the last 30 days.

It really just depends on you. There is no set time that it should or will take.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I lost 450 pounds in 3 hours...it was GLORIOUS.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Maybe 5-6 months.
    At the time I was averaging a 5-7 lb. weight loss per month.

Weight loss isn't consistent either. There were weeks I lost nothing at all.
    You just gotta keep going.

:smile:
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    1/17/2013 345
    8/1/2013 261
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It can really depend on how much you have to lose and how much of a change you need to make (not to mention several other factors like medical conditions, etc). For instance, someone who eats pretty well and is lightly active and has 30 pounds to lose may take a year or more to lose that weight because they have less to lose and only slight changes to make to improve diet and increase activity. However someone who has 100 or more pounds to lose and is mostly sedentary and has a horrid diet can lose the weight more quickly when they start making vast improvements in their diet and activity levels.

I started out needing to lose a little over 100 pounds and it took me about 5 months ot lose the first 30 pounds. I honestly can't remember exactly how long because this was before MFP. I was doing WW and tracking everyting on paper. BUT I do remember I'd lost 25 in 4 months (because I hit 25% loss by my b-day late April) and was losing between 1-2 pounds per week so it must've been about 5 months.

Also this:
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Those guidelines make a lot of sense! I think MFP autochanged my goals to meet those as I lost weight... I know I said I wanted to lose 2lbs/wk when I set up my profile but my goals say 1lb/wk now
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    It took me a little under a year to lose my first 30. Attempts at rapid loss had always failed me in the past, so this time I did it the "right way". The last 10 pounds took another year. I'm still looking to drop a couple more pounds of body fat, but I am in absolutely no hurry.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I've lost 21lbs in 3.5 months but didn't get really serious until 5/2/13 so more like 3 months. Have 20lbs of fat to go
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Took me 5 months to lose 30lbs...I thought I'd never get there...lol...I like the pace though...slowly but surely...now on for the next 30!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    what was his name again??? \m/
  • walzllw
    walzllw Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for over a year. I lost 15 lbs before starting MFPand 25 Lbs since I started tracking (40 total). It takes time. A pound average a week is good and steady. Just don't get frustrated you will notice in no time. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck!!!!!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Just remember that we are all different! You could lose faster, you could lose slower depending on your activity level, metabolism and body composition, but what matters is that you are being a better healthier you and because of that, you will reach your goal!

^THIS times 10,000,000! :)

It took me almost exactly 7 months to lose 25 pounds. But I have a tendency to have a "plateau for a couple weeks, then lose 2-3 pounds a week for a week or so" cycle....hold, hold, hold, whoosh!, hold, hold, hold, whoosh!, etc. I am also hypothyroid, so I have to fight for every ounce. It is exceedingly frustrating, but I just keep at it. :happy:
  • ampongdk
    Options
    Ok so i have 35 pounds to loose before November 1st 2013,

I have started doing the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, i did it this morning and i will do it again tonite. If i eat right and do the exercise twice a day would i be able to loose 35 pounds, please motivate.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    When I first joined in 2011 I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks. Then I was side tracked for a year with a broken neck. When I came back I was around 225 in May, now I'm wavering right around 200 at the end of July/beginning of August. Steadily losing between 1-2 pounds per week right now.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 over the course of a year last time I dieted... but that was sans exercise. I was just skinny fat at the end of the day.

Now I'm just fat again.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ok so i have 35 pounds to loose before November 1st 2013,

I have started doing the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, i did it this morning and i will do it again tonite. If i eat right and do the exercise twice a day would i be able to loose 35 pounds, please motivate.

You're setting a totally unrealistic goal here.
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great topic. Thanks to the OP and all who responded. I needed to hear this too. :flowerforyou:
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    4-5 months
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    what was his name again??? \m/

we'll call him a$$hat.......

and no that doesn't include the weight of his attorney