Work out vs sleep vs family time

Options
2»

Replies

• RYFBAR
    RYFBAR Posts: 45
    Options
    I take the dogs for a walk in the evening with my neighbor and both kids. It's becoming part of their routine... dinner, walk, bath, bed. Sometimes we do a bike ride if hubby wants to join us. Right now, I'm a SAHM but looking for work, so just trying to get that routine fixed now. I do body-weight exercises right now, and just do them in the living room while we watch Malcolm in the Middle with the kids, half the time the kids will jump in and try with me.
    My suggestion would be to use your gym in the mornings for your strength, and since you don't have to do that every day, you could even sleep in a couple days out of the week. Then you can steady-state your cardio in the evening while getting some family time.
    Good luck finding what works best in Your schedule:drinker:
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I take the dogs for a walk in the evening with my neighbor and both kids. It's becoming part of their routine... dinner, walk, bath, bed. Sometimes we do a bike ride if hubby wants to join us. Right now, I'm a SAHM but looking for work, so just trying to get that routine fixed now. I do body-weight exercises right now, and just do them in the living room while we watch Malcolm in the Middle with the kids, half the time the kids will jump in and try with me.
    My suggestion would be to use your gym in the mornings for your strength, and since you don't have to do that every day, you could even sleep in a couple days out of the week. Then you can steady-state your cardio in the evening while getting some family time.
    Good luck finding what works best in Your schedule:drinker:

You're right, I think I'm going to focus on just doing strength at the gym (although I think I'll keep doing the cycling classes on Monday/Wednesday mornings since I'm enjoying them!). The funny thing is, if I don't go to the gym before work, I only get up 15 minutes later since I really enjoy drinking coffee and eating cereal and watching the news, in peace and quite!!!!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think this is something all of us parents worry about. My husband & I go to the gym together at 4:00 a.m. while the children sleep (We have a 17 year old that is there for them if they wake) When we get home, we get the kids up & out the door for work & school (day camp at the moment). I get home around 5:30 in the evening & get only about two hours until it’s bedtime. We all sleep early, hubs & I try to be in bed NO LATER than 9:00

I do feel like I’m missing time with them but I know I have the weekends & my husband & I are bettering ourselves for the greater good & will be around longer for them & more active!

I miss my 9pm bedtime :( My husband stays up till 2 am most nights, lol. I couldn't even do that during my college party days but once or twice a week!

LOL We used to be the same way but now we are early to bed! It's so funny how we do 108's as we get older
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think this is something all of us parents worry about. My husband & I go to the gym together at 4:00 a.m. while the children sleep (We have a 17 year old that is there for them if they wake) When we get home, we get the kids up & out the door for work & school (day camp at the moment). I get home around 5:30 in the evening & get only about two hours until it’s bedtime. We all sleep early, hubs & I try to be in bed NO LATER than 9:00

I do feel like I’m missing time with them but I know I have the weekends & my husband & I are bettering ourselves for the greater good & will be around longer for them & more active!

I miss my 9pm bedtime :( My husband stays up till 2 am most nights, lol. I couldn't even do that during my college party days but once or twice a week!

LOL We used to be the same way but now we are early to bed! It's so funny how we do 108's as we get older

180's. Damn fast fingers ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Busy accountant/CFO and father of a 3 year old and 1 year old here. Running and cycling are my two primary cardio workouts. I run 3x weekly and cycle 2x weekly...I do this during my lunch break rather than going out with the guys or whatever and then I just eat my lunch at my desk.

I do my strength training on Tues/Thurs evenings and Saturday mornings I do a strength session and wrap it all up with a 1/2 mile swim. Tues/Thurs nights are tough on everyone. I have about an hour commute from my office to the gym so we don't usually get there until about 6...they have a child care drop off so no biggie there, but I workout for about 45 - 60 minutes and by the time we get out and get home it's usually around 7:30PM so we're flying around the kitchen getting dinner on for the kiddos so they can eat and get to bed.