How to prevent running injuries

Options
I just started running recently on the treadmill and have noticed very minor pains in my knees (very rarely!). I want to stress that this is not a big deal, but I'm just curious how to prevent any long-term injuries from running. I guess I should also emphasize that I'm unable (and unwilling!) to spend significant amounts of money on expensive equipment/gear (I'm all about cheap gear though!). Any suggests or tips?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I just started running recently on the treadmill and have noticed very minor pains in my knees (very rarely!). I want to stress that this is not a big deal, but I'm just curious how to prevent any long-term injuries from running. I guess I should also emphasize that I'm unable (and unwilling!) to spend significant amounts of money on expensive equipment/gear (I'm all about cheap gear though!). Any suggests or tips?

The most important item is proper running shoes. Get fitted at a running store. You will spend a good bit of money on shoes, but it's worth every penny.

Second, don't do too much too soon or too fast.

Lastly, do exercises to strengthen you hips, core, glutes, quads and hamstrings.
  • Abs1020
    Abs1020 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for the help! Just curious, what are the best types of running shoes?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Personally I like Brooks and Merrells. But everyone has a different stride and food, so the best shoes for me could be torture devices on your feet. The best brand is whatever works on your foot. I would really suggest going to a running store and get fitted.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

At the risk of sounding trite the best shoe is the one that's appropriate for your gait and the the shape of your foot.

Every manufacturer uses slightly different lasts so that Brand X may have a narrower heel than Brand Y and Brand Y may have a more generous toe box than Brand Z.

Take your time at a running specialty shop, have them analyze your gait and then try on as many shoes as you need to until you find the perfect fit. If the person serving you says anything about having to break in the shoes you're in the wrong place.....
  • Abs1020
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for all the help! I never would have known any of this stuff :)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    A decent pair of running shoes will run about $100. And when people say go to a running store, they don't mean a big box place that sells running shoes, but a specialty running/walking store. Fleet Feet is one example, and they have franchises all over the country. I went to a local store chain that has just a couple locations. I was first fitted with a pair of Brooks, but after a couple weeks of trying them out, they bothered me so I took them back and they agreed they weren't right, and I tried on several other pairs before I ended up with a pair of Saucony. They looked at my gait several times, had me on a treadmill so they could see how my ankles rolled, how my stride & arches were, etc. The Saucony I got almost look like the outsoles are on the wrong way, because I needed the inside arch support.
  • ViolentJ01
    ViolentJ01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definetly go to a running store / I did the big box place, and I had some serious issues with my knee...Finally listened to a couple people that told me to check out the Running Company here in town, went down there and for around $100 they set me up with a pair of brooks, my knee issue went away and my distance started coming back.
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everyone had pretty good experience with Fleet Feet? I have a pair of Nike Flex Runs, and they have been pretty comfy. However, I would like to go get fitted for the next pair. I don't want to be harassed by sales people though.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's all been said really. Shoes, shoes, and shoes. If they don't have a treadmill to try them on, walk away. If they don't have a video recorder on the treadmill to look at your feet in slow motion, walk away. The leg, ankle and foot should all be in a straight line at the point when your heel hits the floor. If it sounds like they don't understand is, then walk away. I DON'T run, but my wife does and I have nursed her through more injuries than I care to think of and they are ALL down to the shoes. Lastly, don't pick a pair because you like the colour!
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's all been said really. Shoes, shoes, and shoes. If they don't have a treadmill to try them on, walk away. If they don't have a video recorder on the treadmill to look at your feet in slow motion, walk away. The leg, ankle and foot should all be in a straight line at the point when your heel hits the floor. If it sounds like they don't understand is, then walk away. I DON'T run, but my wife does and I have nursed her through more injuries than I care to think of and they are ALL down to the shoes. Lastly, don't pick a pair because you like the colour!

But once it's down to a couple pair that fit nicely, then we can choose color? lol
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Maybe, but if you end up with a choice, then why not have all of them! ;-)
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am just a beginning runner, but I am on my second go round of C25K and I have managed to avoid injury despite being big (194) and older (40). I have found the key to be well fitting shoes (I went to a local running store to get fitted), warming up before, cooling down after - and stretching well, and taking it slow - I run only every other day or so.

In the past, I would just try to push myself too far too fast and wind up hurting something.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes are first: get fitted and try jogging in the shoes at the store. Strengthen your hips and legs. But it is also vital to stretch... especially your hamstrings and quads. Poor quadricep strength and poor hamstring flexibility will develop "runners knee".
  • Abs1020
    Options
    Honestly, I dont think I knew running stores existed! haha. I would have just gone to sports authority or something and gotten shoes there. Now I know better! :)
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Maybe, but if you end up with a choice, then why not have all of them! ;-)
    Sure! :laugh: And keep socks and one pair in the car for those impromptu occasions!

Also, the place I went to has a frequent customer discount card thing, where once you spend $250 you get a coupon for some percent off. I ended up buying my 2nd pair, same shoe, several months later, in a different color from an online store, so I didn't get to add to my account. I will probably go back to them for my 3rd pair, just to make sure that these are still the ones to get.
  • achonator
    achonator Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I never bought any running shoes and I the only time when I experienced pain in my knees is when I used to touch the ground heel first.Look at your technique when you run.If you can go run in a park not on a treadmill until you get used to the stress.And when you finish running stretch your hams,quads, calves, hips and groin area(adductors I think?).
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I never bought any running shoes and I the only time when I experienced pain in my knees is when I used to touch the ground heel first.Look at your technique when you run.If you can go run in a park not on a treadmill until you get used to the stress.And when you finish running stretch your hams,quads, calves, hips and groin area(adductors I think?).

I second this. Running shoes may help if you have bad form but the key to avoiding injury is form. I wear vibram 5 fingers with no padding to run. Make sure you land on the balls of your feet, not the heels. It will take time to develop the muscles and connecting tissue in your feet and lower leg, but the ankle and knee joints will absorb the shock by flexing. Take your time and don't worry about speed at first, just concentrate on landing on the balls of your feet until it comes naturally. Running shoes absorb some of the shock, but the rest is transferred up your legs and back.

Stretching is important too but I think the key to stretching is consistency and not timing. I don't bother stretching before or after a run, but I spend 20 minutes stretching every morning and/or evening. In a short time I got much more limber and less sore and noticed how all kinds of movements and activities were easier. Like running, a little bit every day makes a bigger difference than stretching harder only when you run.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Shoes are obviously the best thing to start with.

As far as the excercise itself, if you want to prevent injury there are a few things that you can do. Try to incorporate some strength training into your leg muscles. Even if it's body weight exercises like squats, lunges, etc. Strengthing your muscles, will steady your joints better and preserve them as your running progresses.

Also, I would recommend using a foam roller pre or post runs to work out the tightness in your legs. You can youtube or google how to properly roll, and they are generally not too pricey.

Finally, I know that it may be tough at first, but running on an incline is generally more forgiving on your joints than running on a flat surface. Being on a treadmill, it should be easy to up the incline just a bit. You shouldn't really feel increased exertion, but it could help.

Some other things you can invest in if you get serious are joint lubicating supplements, and ice packs. Best of luck!!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the recommendation to go to a specialty running store to get your gait analyzed and get properly fitted for shoes. The shoes will cost money, but it's money well spent.

Additionally, wanted to repeat the guidance to avoid trying to do too much, too soon. The most common reason new runners get injured is that they increase their mileage and/or speed too quickly. Give yourself time to build up a base and gradually increase mileage and speed.

Happy running! :flowerforyou: